WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Should trail signs be removed?

Aren't white blazes enough? Just buy the maps and you should generally be able to figure where you are at any time. After a short period of time, hikers are able to estimate how far they have traveled in a period of time to an amazingly accurate degree.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

If only experienced hikers used the trail, this might be workable. However, inexperienced backpackers and day hikers appreciate and need the signs.

Hey, I like the signs. I normally don't keep a running pace count, and the terrain varies, so using a mile per hour estimate isn't accurate. The signs also break up the hike and give a good spot to stop, rest, talk or wait for the other hikers in the party. Keep em there.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Some definitely could be eliminated ...the question is - where to draw the line.

Just did a section from Rangely to Monson a few weeks ago. There were instances where the white blazes were on trees no more than 5 feet apart (SERIOUSLY) and then there were times when you didn't see a blaze for a very long time. Trail is well walked in that area so there isn't much chance of getting disoriented. Just making the point that in some areas the application/location intervals aren't very uniform or consistent.

In terms of actual wooden signs, I still find it helpful at times when I cross a road (gravel - nonpaved) in the middle of the woods to look up and see a sign indicating relative distances to key milestones ahead. Also, there are those instances where the trail does not enter/exit at the same spot in a road and requires a roadwalk. In those instance a sign is also of assistance.

The other logical place for signs is on summits.

But yeah ...sometimes signage (either too much or too little) crosses my mind when I think back to my thru.

'Slogger
    Last edited by Footslogger; 09-14-2007 at 11:46.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

2010 complete

In NJ, my data book showed 5 road crossings for a particular section, and I crossed about 9 roads. I would have like to have seen road signs especially when you need to hike out on one of those roads.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Lobster View Post
    After a short period of time, hikers are able to estimate how far they have traveled in a period of time to an amazingly accurate degree.
    For those that don't carry the time (me), the above can be a bit more difficult.

Just another person who is looking for somethingto be wrong. Maybe a hike would make them feel better. . . A good long hike. Maybe then they might start a thread on how beautiful the trail is instead of nitpicking, baiting people into more negative enrgy and commentary. Nice to see that most responses have been contrary to the complaining question.

Images

I vote for keeping the signs. In addition to their obvious pourpose they make good photo-ops.

Aren't white blazes enough? Just buy the maps and you should generally be able to figure where you are at any time. After a short period of time, hikers are able to estimate how far they have traveled in a period of time to an amazingly accurate degree.
    trollin', trollin', trollin'... most y'all are like carp. you'll take any bait tossed at ya.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

i'll admit to being guilty of it once or twice over the years.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Just another person who is looking for somethingto be wrong. Maybe a hike would make them feel better. . . A good long hike. Maybe then they might start a thread on how beautiful the trail is instead of nitpicking, baiting people into more negative enrgy and commentary. Nice to see that most responses have been contrary to the complaining question.
    I think that it is a legit question and should be able to ask it without being criticized. There are trail maintainers that want to take the signs down and have taken the trail signs down.

Given the choice, I would do the opposite... keep the signs, but remove the blazes. It's not like the AT is hard to follow. The signs only show up at trail crossings, road crossings, etc, and give decent info.

Just my $.02
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Very fertile waters here!

Images

My son and I did the Coosa Backcountry Trail in GA over Labor Day. We had a map and were lost the entire time, except where it crosses a paved hwy.
    More signs, besides the wooden ones blend in.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Blazes can be handy after heavy leaf fall or snow fall.

Signs can be real handy for search & rescue, especially when they do not have trail maps handy.

I've noticed plenty of "new" maps are already several years old and may not show latest few years of trail relocation.

Images

keep the signs, in fact i think there should be a few more signs, especially labeling gaps, i hate that feeling of yes i've reached 'low gap', few miles later well maybe now i've reached low gap, little bit later, hmmm, maybe this is low gap, then you look at the elevation in your guide book for the 'low gap' and your wondering which gap was the lowest of the gaps... blah blah blah, i think most of yall have felt that at one point in time or another?

and reguarding hikers awareness of distance, nope it may exist for some but not all, becase i for one have no concept of distaance or time.
    Last edited by Gaiter; 09-14-2007 at 13:07. Reason: addition
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    My son and I did the Coosa Backcountry Trail in GA over Labor Day. We had a map and were lost the entire time, except where it crosses a paved hwy.
    More signs, besides the wooden ones blend in.
    Not only do I not carry the time; I don't carry the map either. keep both blazes and signs, please, at least till I'm finished. I'm set in my ways.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i'll admit to being guilty of it once or twice over the years.
    only once or twice?
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Very fertile waters here!
    Make yourself useful

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++