WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: monastary

Images

Default monastary

we will be there sept 22 nite will they feed us,how r sleeping cond.
    wolf

Images

Default monastary cont,

its in new york
    wolf

No, they no longer feed hikers at Graymoor. You can call for Italian delivery if you have a cell phone. Sleeping is in an open covered pavillion at the ballfield. There is a enclosed cold-water shower, a sink, clothesline, picnic tables. If you are actually injured they might take you in and feed you, there was a note last year that one of the friars comes down to check for injured people. You can attend a mass if you are so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    its in new york
    no more chow. hikers ruined the tradition

That was the "Graymoor Incident" not unlike the "Port Clinton Incident", no doubt?

When I was there there was a huge Haitian party celebrating some Catholic day, not sure which one it was. People had throw beer bottles everywhere, smoking weed openly and just generally trashed the place. I felt bad about it but I guess its their culture? The friars didnt seem to mind but later on one of them came down and put the register and italian menu back in the pavilion saying they would come down and tear it up.

Images

My wife and I spent a night there in April of 2006. One of the monks came around and offered us, and a woman hiking with two of her teens, each a small loaf of homemade zucchini bread. I don't know if they do that for everyone or we just happened to be there at the right time. Either way it was a nice thing to do and the bread was very good.

Default I had a minor but irritating thing happened to me at Graymoor in 2006...

I had just gotten to the pavilion (only hiker there), when one of the friars drove up to check for hikers. He told me about a payphone in one of their buildings I could use, and graciously offered me a ride there when I showed enthusiasm about the idea.

He dropped me off at a building that is some kind of residential rehab facility for lower-income men. I walked in, and politely asked the (black male, age 30ish, average build, no glasses or facial hair) security guard at the front desk where I could find the payphones. Before answering my question, he brusquely ordered me to take off my hat, that they weren't allowed in that building (as if it were a church or something similiar). I silently complied, preferring to keep it on my head where I would not risk putting it down and losing it, or having it in my way as I juggled WF book, paper, pencil, and phone list. He then lead me to a group of about 3 payphones, none of which was in use.

I started my first call (had about 3 to make), and in less than 3 minutes, he ordered me off the phone, saying that time was up. I hardly had time to say where I was, let alone tell my support person what to add and take out of my next mail drop. I basically wasted the friar's giving me a ride, the walk back, and the 30 minutes of time taken off my credit card.

I would advise anyone wanting to use a pay phone there to have a friar walk in with them, and tell the security guard that you'll have multiple calls to make that will take a little while, and not to be bothered while doing so. Otherwise, don't bother.

M.S., people in rehab aren't allowed unlimited phone calls and visitors, it interferes with the rehab treatment.

Obviously the security guard thought you were one of the homeless alcoholics they treat there. Did you tell him you were a hiker and not a resident?

The primary difference between a thru-hiker and a homeless alcoholic in appearance is that hikers' pants are not usually urine- and feces-stained and you shouldn't expect a $7.00 an hour security guard at such a place to make such fine distinctions.

Images

I was at Greymoor in 2006 together with LIHikers and we were treated with exceptional kindness and courtesy by everyone whom we encountered. We did note that the field was a bit grungy and my kids and I "policed the area" (as my drill sergeant father used to say); I felt that for the beauty and hospitality of the accommodations it was really the least we could do. We also attended mass, even though we're not Catholic, again because I thought it was the respectful thing to do.

I was a bit initimidated by some of the rehab fellows whom we saw. As I understand it, a lot of these guys are basically on their last chance in life... most of them are from the very mean streets of NYC, they've lost it all and they're "on the hill" trying to salvage what they can of lives ruined by drugs and alcohol. Especially as a woman, I don't think I would wander around at night alone, even though the rules are very strict and probably nobody else would be out there. But it did make me a bit nervous, because a stay there is voluntary and guys can go "down the hill" anytime they want to.

Overall, though, Greymoor is a wonderful place and if hikers treat the friars the same way they're treated, things will be good.

Jane in CT

Smile monastary

Pat from Maine and I met at that monastery. The food was fine and appreciated. That was when the monastery had that legal thing going on so the brother gave us the monastery’s side of the issue as we ate and asked us to contact our representatives on it's behave. My recollection is that the brother felt that since the monastery fed and allowed hikers to stay there that the monastery should get a free pass on what ever agreement it had violated with the AT people.
    and yes...that year there were hikers who abused the generosity there as in so many other places on the AT. I suggest that when those hikers are identified that they be shot or put on a leash.

There was no single "Graymoor Incident" that resulted in their change of policies regarding hospitality to hikers.

It had nothing to do with alcohol or partying, despite what some have said over the years.

It had more to do with entitled, cheapskate hikers who took advantage of the place. The hospitality given to the hikers, in addition to taking a lot of time and energy on the part of the staff, cost Graymoor close to twenty bucks per "guest." They typically recieved less than seven dollars per head back in "donations." In many, many cases, they received zip, nada, nothing.
    Hiker hopspitality was costing them thousands of dollars a year.

After many years of this they quite rightly decided that their charity was being wasted on folks who neither needed nor deserved it, so they decided to direct their charitable efforts towards more worthy recipients than hikers.

Don't get me wrong, they still welcome hiker guests and offer limited hospitality.

But the free ride gravy train is over, and probably should have been a long time ago.

There has been a discussion here before about the fact that there are certainly people who need charity and "trail magic" more than the average hiker.

And gsingjane, there is no reason for anyone to be worried about staying at the pavillion or afraid of the people staying at the monastary. None at all. And yes, I know from experience, because I live on the same block as a soup kitchen and had plenty of homeless people as patients when I worked in a hospital.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 09-18-2007 at 17:21.

Default monastary

When Pat from Maine and I hiked out of the monastery she was leading. When we got to the AT she turned left. I said "I think we need to turn right to go north?" She assured me that it was to the left. I followed her until we could see that we had come to the road that we'd crossed on the way into the monastery. So we reversed direction and I didn't say anything. Pat said "aren't you nice for not saying anything about me going the wrong way." I said " don't worry...I won't tell anyone."

I stayed at Graymoor in '91. NY and NJ were hot and dry that year and when I got to Graymoor I was feeling terrible. I had slowed down to just a few miles a day and was completely exhausted. I remember stumbling into a shelter just before the monastery around noon. I rolled out my pad and fell asleep. A couple of weekenders came in and I had to ask them to go fill up my water bag. When I made it to the monastery the friar said I could stay as long as I needed since I was sick. Normally they limited hiker stays to one night. The rooms were tiny with a cot, a sink and a desk with a lamp. There was a bathroom with a shower down the hall. There was also a scale there and I weighed in at 158 lbs. I started the trail at a slim 180!
    There was a chalkboard at the door to the dining hall that had the dinner menu for that day as well as the next day. We all groaned because it was Mac and Cheese. The next night was going to be Surf and Turf. All I ate that night was salad, fruit and juice- tons of it. Fruit and juice for breakfast the next morning too. I felt 100% better after that. I must have had some kind of major nutritional deficiency. The friar again offered to let me stay another night to rest but I decided I was OK to go (Surf and Turf was hard to pass up though). I never had another health problem again after that. I was amazed that I had gone from barely able to walk, to a million bucks in less than 24 hours.
    That place was really a great stop back then. It's a shame that they have had to cut back on the hiker amenities. I remember running into a hiker later at Hanover that said his group had to camp outside when they were there because an event was going on and there was no more room. One of the friars came out to check on the hikers and got visibly upset when he saw that someone had draped dirty wet laundry over a statue of Mary.

Graymoor was a great place to rest for a day. As a avid reader, I enjoyed being able to spend part of the evening in their library.

2.17% and counting
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    When Pat from Maine and I hiked out of the monastery she was leading. When we got to the AT she turned left. I said "I think we need to turn right to go north?" She assured me that it was to the left. I followed her until we could see that we had come to the road that we'd crossed on the way into the monastery. So we reversed direction and I didn't say anything. Pat said "aren't you nice for not saying anything about me going the wrong way." I said " don't worry...I won't tell anyone."
    What a standup guy, not telling folks about.... wait a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    I had just gotten to the pavilion (only hiker there), when one of the friars drove up to check for hikers. He told me about a payphone in one of their buildings I could use, and graciously offered me a ride there when I showed enthusiasm about the idea.

He dropped me off at a building that is some kind of residential rehab facility for lower-income men. I walked in, and politely asked the (black male, age 30ish, average build, no glasses or facial hair) security guard at the front desk where I could find the payphones. Before answering my question, he brusquely ordered me to take off my hat, that they weren't allowed in that building (as if it were a church or something similiar). I silently complied, preferring to keep it on my head where I would not risk putting it down and losing it, or having it in my way as I juggled WF book, paper, pencil, and phone list. He then lead me to a group of about 3 payphones, none of which was in use.

I started my first call (had about 3 to make), and in less than 3 minutes, he ordered me off the phone, saying that time was up. I hardly had time to say where I was, let alone tell my support person what to add and take out of my next mail drop. I basically wasted the friar's giving me a ride, the walk back, and the 30 minutes of time taken off my credit card.

I would advise anyone wanting to use a pay phone there to have a friar walk in with them, and tell the security guard that you'll have multiple calls to make that will take a little while, and not to be bothered while doing so. Otherwise, don't bother.
    How did you burn up 30 minutes of phone card time on a less than 3 minute call?

Be really big and offer a $20.00 to the monastary thanking the friar for his time even though his vows certainly include making sure you aren't inconvenienced using his phone.

Default monastary

Quote Originally Posted by hiker5 View Post
    What a standup guy, not telling folks about.... wait a minute!
    LOL, you win the prize. You're the only one who got my post. ....but don't worry, I won't mention it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I said " don't worry...I won't tell anyone."
    Well aren't you the sweetest thing...
    Just hike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++