WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Drought in NC

Journal Entries

Default Drought in NC

I hiked the AT this past week from Winding Stair Gap near Franklin, NC to Fontana Dam. Finding adequate water was a serious problem. There was absolutely no water at the new shelter near Wayah Bald or at Brown Fork Gap Shelter(even after the big rain). A small drip was at Sassafras Shelter, again despite the big rain and I suspect that drip is dry now. A good supply of water was found at Siler Bald Shelter, Wesser Bald Shelter and Cable Gap Shelter.

Jeff at The Hike Inn Hostel at Fontana said his well is close to being dry, so if in the area plan carefully.

Just think, ultralighters might now have to carry more weight in water. The future of southern backpacking could be carrying much more liquid and filling up infrequently, perhaps just once every two days. That's about an extra 8-10 pounds to the standard load. Or more.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I tried to do that section a couple of weeks ago and ended up bailing out. I didn't want to put myself in danger.

Thank You Ron Haven for answering your phone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mel-gazelle View Post
    I tried to do that section a couple of weeks ago and ended up bailing out. I didn't want to put myself in danger.

Thank You Ron Haven for answering your phone
    You are sure welcome.Someday when wate comes back you can try it again

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Just think, ultralighters might now have to carry more weight in water. The future of southern backpacking could be carrying much more liquid and filling up infrequently, perhaps just once every two days. That's about an extra 8-10 pounds to the standard load. Or more.
    In the spring I see many ultralighters.They are always cold and hungry,Sounds like now thirsty will have to be added.

Default Another water question

Anyone know the water availability between Devil Fork and Hot Springs? A group of us is planning on including this stretch in our Hike around the second week of October.

I've been wanting to plan a trip for awhile but the water thing scares me especially since I am such a water hog. So instead I've been car camping and doing a lot of day hikes. Let it rain let it rain!
    A good friend will bail you out of jail but a great friend will be sitting beside you saying "Man that was fun!"

I can tell you that springs and creeks are at very low levels, from eastern PA to central Virginia. I just returned from a section hike through that territory. Finding (and carrying) water was a major issue.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I can tell you that springs and creeks are at very low levels, from eastern PA to central Virginia. I just returned from a section hike through that territory. Finding (and carrying) water was a major issue.
    Can you be a little more specific about the water situation in Pennsylvania? I'm planning to hike from HF to DWG starting next week. Did you have to carry extra water, more than two liters? Thanks.

And that is another reason I like doing Trail Magic at Stecoah Gap. Thanks Ron Haven and Crutch for suggesting it last year. We had a blast this year and hope to go back next year if the Parks folks let us.

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    Can you be a little more specific about the water situation in Pennsylvania? I'm planning to hike from HF to DWG starting next week. Did you have to carry extra water, more than two liters? Thanks.
    Well, for example... at Eagles Nest shelter, there's a stream that runs across the access trail. It was completely dry. I managed to salvage a couple of quarts from a muddy pool up the stream bed a few dozen yards. At Allentown Shelter: "Yellow" spring (the one way down the mountain) was OK, the one above, no. Peters Mtn: spring just barely functional, it took 20 minutes to scoop up a gallon's worth. Etc. I generally started each day with at least two quarts, preferably more in the Platy.

OTOH, Yuengling supply was plentiful at the Doyle.

Ya, I walked the yellow blaze for water at the Allentown shelter. was not a pleasant expereince after a long day. Water is always runnig at Eckville.

++ New Posts ++