WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Driclime Windshirt/Jacket Question

Whats the difference between the Marmot Driclime Jacket and the Marmot "original Driclime Windshirt"? Anyone know if theres a difference?

Also, I remember seeing a thread about these things on here a long long time ago. Did anyone say that they tend to run small so you needed to em large?

Just wondering.

thanks!

They're on sale at travelcountry.com

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I have the original Dri Clime and yes, they did seem a bit large when I got mine. I got a size large (mens) and normally I probably would have gotten a medium.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

oh they run large? I thought they ran small. lol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeastu View Post
    oh they run large? I thought they ran small. lol.
    ===============================

Well ...the original ones did. Check with someone who has bought one recently before going that route.

'Slogger

Apparently the original is so much better they had to bring it back, sortof like Coke Classic. The new one supposedly has useless features that tack on weight. There are some discussions on the merits of each on the internet.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 09-18-2007 at 15:14. Reason: CSWS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Apparently the original is so much better they had to bring it back, sortof like Coke Classic. The new one supposedly has useless features that tack on weight. There are some discussions on the merits of each on the internet.
    =================================

Yeah ...the original ones were a pretty simple no frills garment. Have had mine since the early 90's and it's held up well.

'Slogger

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Montbell makes a similar garment that is very basic. Has an athletic cut (read: snug) and has proven to be one of my favorite garments.

I usd to use the Driclime until it wore out.

Looks like they have a new one that is bit looser as well:
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...1&p_id=1106360
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Stu, are you looking for a jacket or a windshirt? If you are looking for a windshirt, I found that having one with some wiggle room is important if you want to layer underneath.

The website you posted has a nice Go-Lite windshirt with a hood on sale. Just 3 oz. Kind of pricey, but nice!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

I loved my original when it was the only, and I lamented the re-design. My original wore out. If indeed the "new" original is like the initial style, then I'd recommend it. It's much lighter, more packable, very warm, and moves more freely with less bunching. It was smartly tailored for backpacking. The new regular style does have better/stonger zippers, but that's the only improvement.

The original is what got so many stellar reviews and is what launched the brand. Any return to that model is preferable. Now, only if Chaco will go back to the Terreno sole and old materials.

I have two Marmot Windshirts, one I got back in 2002 and the other in 2006. Both look the same to me and both were good purchases. I tend to use the Windshirts quite often in the spring and fall outside of backpacking.

I don't recall the sizing being off advertised.

Images
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

This is the one you have, right?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

yep I do..same color also
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quick Driclime Review

http://www.sourcetosea.net/gear/reviews.html

I love mine, bought in 2000 during a thru-hike, and it's been worn damn near daily 9 months out of the year since then.

My old windshirt stuffed into a pocket. My new one doesn't

The jacket has hand warmer pockets, and the wind shirt does not. It also has a slightly looser cut. I think that they run a little small. According to the sizing guide I should wear a small, but the medium is perfect. I love my driclime jacket and wear it a lot.

wait which one runs small...the jacket or the windshirt? I've put off buying the thing simply cause I didn't k now what size to get.

Do you know if either the jacket or winshirt (and I prefer the windshirt for the pit zips) has a drawstring at the bottom hem to seal out drafts? That will help me decide the size to get. Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeastu View Post
    wait which one runs small...the jacket or the windshirt? I've put off buying the thing simply cause I didn't k now what size to get.

Do you know if either the jacket or winshirt (and I prefer the windshirt for the pit zips) has a drawstring at the bottom hem to seal out drafts? That will help me decide the size to get. Thanks
    ======================================

I have the windshirt one (loose at the waist and no side (hand warmer) pockets. Normally I would wear a Medium in something like that and I got the large ...and glad I did (especially for layering). So, from my experience I would say that the windshirt style (original one) ran a tad small.

My windshirt does not have "pit zips" per se but it does have a mesh pit "vent".

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger

lol. Geesh why don't people understand the value of drawcord hems. Of course, if I were hiking in it with a pack....the pack's waist belt should keep out any drafts

Thanks for the info, but theres the jacket vs. the windshirt then there is the original original driclime windshirt...now there is the new original driclime windshirt..and its hard to know whose talkin bout what. lol. And I still dunno what size to buy. I normally wear smalls, but I can handle wearing a large in some other Marmot jacket (of course, it has a draw cord waist so I dont freeze in it)....dunno. confusing.

The original really was a fantastic windshell, but like so many other items, doodads were added on that added weight and diminished the simplicity.

Just in scanning a few of the links, I don't see any weights mentioned. I know the jacket is up aroung 12 oz and thats a lot more than a true-windshirt should weigh. Thats a midweight piece.

A windshirt shouldn't weigh more than 6 or 7 oz. and many times 1/2 that. They should easily stuff in a pocket, and once the sun comes out should dry in a flash. Also they are designed to fit fairly snug....really nothing underneath except for a synthetic longsleeve t-shirt or possibly wool. This combination is incredibly versatile and lightweight..

Montane also makes some incredibly light windshirts are breathe well. Best bet is to find a dealer near you or bite the bullet, buy two sizes online and return one.......you'll find one that fits properly and it will be one of your favorite pieces of gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++