WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default ALDHA Gathering 2007, Gettysburg PA

In just over two weeks, the Appalachian Long-Distance Hikers Association will be having it annual hiker gathering. This year, it'll be in Gettsysburg PA, 5-7 October. The Gathering is a wonderful event, especially for anyone actively considering or already planning a long-distance hiking trip.

For more information on what will be hapening, see www.aldha.org There will be lots more information and a full listing of scheduled events as it gets closer to October.

Hope to see many of you there.

Images

If I am not a member of ALDHA, can I get a membership when I get there to join the events?

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus45acp View Post
    If I am not a member of ALDHA, can I get a membership when I get there to join the events?
    of course you can. you don't even have to join. but by the end of the weekend i bet you will

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    of course you can. you don't even have to join. but by the end of the weekend i bet you will
    I planned on joining anyways. I figure if I am hiking the trail next year, I should contribute to the people who help maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The Gathering is a wonderful event, especially for anyone actively considering or already planning a long-distance hiking trip.
    This is exactly why I wanted to attend. I have so much I need to learn and what better way than in person from those who have experienced it. But it's not to be. My request for vacation was denied. I am so bummed out.

Hope you all have a great time. I'll be thinking about you.
    Trillium

Images

In just over two weeks, the Appalachian Long-Distance Hikers Association will be having it annual hiker gathering. This year, it'll be in Gettsysburg PA, 5-7 October. The Gathering is a wonderful event, especially for anyone actively considering or already planning a long-distance hiking trip.

For more information on what will be hapening, see www.aldha.org There will be lots more information and a full listing of scheduled events as it gets closer to October.

Hope to see many of you there.
    Is there parking for motor homes?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    Is there parking for motor homes?
    I believe Jester said there was a parking area across the road from the main camping area for large RV's and such last time I spoke with him. Next to an auction house or barn, not sure which. You could always email the coordinator of the Gathering, Dave Hennel, at [email protected]. to find out for certain.

Images

For Ron I bet they would make room somewhere.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Looking forward to seeing all of you again soon!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
    Looking forward to seeing all of you again soon!
    Right back atcha, sweetness!

Ron--

Quite a few people travel to the Gathering in RV's or campers and stay in 'em.

Hope you and the whole family can make it!!

Images

I so wanna go but can't

yall have fun and think of us poor souls who can't make it
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    For Ron I bet they would make room somewhere.
    Rock.they liable to run a hillbilly like me away.Thanks Jack and Wonder,We are all planning to come to it.I will let all of you know so if any one needs a ride from down south.When I travel into that area I usually go up through Asheville on I-40 and then I-26 to I-81 and then.

Try and kidnap Miss Janet on your way and bring her along!!

Images

Try and kidnap Miss Janet on your way and bring her along!!
    That may be a good idea,maybe she would like to go.

Quite a few people travel to the Gathering in RV's or campers and stay in 'em.
    To support jack's claim, my description of Gettysburg from whiteblaze in 2003:

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    At the Billville Winter Warmer I will be leading a seminar entitled "How To Lead a Seminar," which will conclude with a slideshow of me leading a seminar.

As for Gettysburg this time of year, I think you miss out on the feel of the whole thing. With a visit in July, you get the heat (of July), the sweat (of overweight tourists), the smoke (of car exhaust), the whole package.

Plus, it's harder to envision the valiant charge of the 4th Nebraska Winnebago Regiment as they charged ponderously up Seminary Ridge. Unlike another better known charge, a retreat was called for quickly when it was determined that the Union positions in front of them had neither pull-throughs nor hook-ups.

See you all at the Doyle!
    So RV's, Gettysburg? Long history. See you all there!
    PS -- I have a call in to Dave. I'll report back.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I know what you're thinking. You want to bring up certain facts about Nebraska and it's relationship to the South. And then you pause, because you realize that any post involving Winnebagos at the Battle of Gettysburg can only be viewed as entirely historically accurate, or not worth parsing at all. So you buy into the whole thing.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Jester2000-"And then you pause, because you realize that any post involving Winnebagos at the Battle of Gettysburg can only be viewed as entirely historically accurate, or not worth parsing at all."
    I see the connection. When Ray and I have driven home along I-81 in VA, we've passed the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park when they are having a reenactment. With all the canvas tents and period uniforms, there is always a Winnebago nearby to set the mood.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    I see the connection. When Ray and I have driven home along I-81 in VA, we've passed the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park when they are having a reenactment. With all the canvas tents and period uniforms, there is always a Winnebago nearby to set the mood.....
    It was told that winnebago was the name of an indian tribe in Wisconsin but it was the original name of a wine dot chicken.

I feel complled to report that once again, Jester's knowledge of the recent unpleasantness between North and South is sadly lacking.

The 4th Nebraska, as anyone knows, was not engaged anywhere near Seminary Ridge, and in fact did not arrive on the field until late on 2 July 1863. They did, however, take part in assisting the general retreat under J.D. Imboden several days later. The use of Winnebagos proved most efficient, and it is credibly reported that not one Webber Grill or Bug Zapper was lost while crossing the Potomac.

It is gratifying to see Jester have such an interest in our nation's past, but it is unfortunate to see so many errors in his scholarship. As he continually describes himself as a "folk educator" these errors are a real shame to see. I suggest for enlightenment on Civil War matters, especially regarding Gettysburg, he should consult Wookie, our resident expert on all things historical, and perhaps Weary, who of course personally witnesed the events in question, tho he was allegedly NOT in the building when the actual Bug Zapping was in progress. At least that's what his website says.

Oh sorry, that was meant for another thread.....

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++