WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Post thru hike syndrome

For those who have recovered after a long term hike, thru hike etc. -

How do you deal with the after effects? Leg cramps, weight gain (physical adjustments), adjusting to life, let down, etc etc. Love to hear some of your after-the-trail hints. Right now I am feeling really drained and tired out. Got some leg issues at night. I know I need to get my weight up a little as its below what it should be, but don't want to get enormous or overdo it. Am trying to walk the neighborhood but its not like the trail by any means, yet I do need a break. Thanks!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Blissful, any chance your potassium is low?

Congratulations on the completion of your hike! I'd go with some extra VIT C as well, like those EmergenC packets ( sugar free).
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    For those who have recovered after a long term hike, thru hike etc. -

How do you deal with the after effects? Leg cramps, weight gain (physical adjustments), adjusting to life, let down, etc etc. Love to hear some of your after-the-trail hints. Right now I am feeling really drained and tired out. Got some leg issues at night. I know I need to get my weight up a little as its below what it should be, but don't want to get enormous or overdo it. Am trying to walk the neighborhood but its not like the trail by any means, yet I do need a break. Thanks!
    take 2 weeks off and do nothing. eat what you want. soak it all in. take longer or shorter. at some point adopt an exercise routine and eat healthily. then in march start the AT again.

Images

No, no, no! I'll buy a bit of loafing, maybe even for 2 weeks, but you should find something else equally engaging and devote yourself to it with the same passion you did your hike.

You've had your dream now. Don't spend the rest of your life dreaming. Help others live theirs. Maybe you could write a book?

Could a hiker who was once a Boy Scout attend one of your presentations?

Take some time off before going back to work or school if you can.
    Make sure you spend some time by yourself if you spent a lot of time by yourself on the trail.
    Don't worry about putting on weight, it will put itself back on. Be more worried about excess weight gain.
    Excercise as soon as you can move without pain. At least get out and walk.
    Take a multivitamin and drink plenty of fluids and try to get 8 hours of sleep.
    Do something to keep busy.
    Don't make any huge life changes immediately: don't divorce, get married, move to another city, change careers. Anything like this can wait three months.
    Little changes are good: a different haircut, different style of underwear, vegetarianism, cleaning all the junk out of your apartment, volunteering at a soup kitchen.
    You cannot thru-hike and be exactly the same as you were before, acknowledge and accept that.
    You may appear very different to friends and family who didn't see you for five months and they may seem different to you.
    If you are truly depressed and don't start feeling better in a while, get professional help.

Images

Try to refrain from sleeping in your tent in your yard if you have one.
    Last edited by emerald; 09-22-2007 at 21:09. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Try to refrain from sleeping in your tent in your yard it you have one.
    Why not? I almost put that in my list of suggestions as a "do"! I really miss sleeping outside with relatively fresh air.

Images

She wouldn't be the 1st.

Images

I would think spending an afternoon occasionally at SNP and especially an invigorating ascent would be good for Blissful.

She's already mentioned she wants to spend time with young people and share her experiences with them. Her writing fits well with that plan.

She might find adjustment easier than many if not most.
    Last edited by emerald; 09-23-2007 at 00:22. Reason: Added italicized word.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I would think spending an afternoon at SNP and especially an invigorating ascent would be good for Blissful.

She's already mentioned she wants to spend time with young people and share her experiences with them. Her writing fits well with that plan.

She might find adjustment easier than many if not most.
    have you spent 4 months or more on the trail?

Images

Yes, sir. She knows that and so do you. As a 2000 miler, I'm qualified to have an opinion on the subject.

For me, it was not an easy adjustment. I was quite young when I hiked the A.T. I think she has more going on in her life than I did and adjusting might be easier for her than it was for me.
    Last edited by emerald; 09-23-2007 at 00:20.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Exclamation Check the medical first

As FD queried, are you sure all is well with you medically? Have a doctor order some blood tests and do a complete physical. If all that checks out OK, then maybe some volunteer work with Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers/Sisters, area schools? I hear there is a Florida Gathering in the making, maybe a week-end vacation with other WBer's in sunny FLA is in order. What ever you decide on I hope all turns out well.
    And, congratulations on your accomplishment this summer!
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

You might have still been hiking when the recent medical study about exercise and depression was in the news... exercise can be as effective as drugs in combatting depression. This is your perfect time to start a serious exercise program. Walking is not a great choice because (assuming you have any other demands on your time) you just can't do enough of it when you're not hiking all day. Something that is fun for you is best--cycling, swimming, whatever. With day and weekend hikes to supplement.

Another thing to enjoy about being at home: food. When I first got home last winter, one of my favorite activities was cooking. And the reward: eating. (My household rule is that everything has to be made from scratch. No convenience food when I'm not hiking. If I want cookies, I have to make them.)

Leg cramps can be caused by lack of calcium. Try eating more cheese (let's hear it for CHEESE!!!) and drinking electrolyte replacement drinks.

I differ with a lot of the other folks.. I'd advise jumping right back into working, if you work. Don't leave yourself a lot of time to brood. Also, it's always good to replenish the bank account and start saving towards the next adventure.

For the first several months I was home, I spent some time every day rereading my TJ, and looking at the pictures. I'd pick a random place in the journal and read a few day's worth of entries.

Hang out with hikers--the Gathering, the Rucks, etc. Bask.

It's okay to grieve. You know that you'll get over it eventually, however hard it is to believe at the time. A new Quest will spring up...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Blissful, any chance your potassium is low?
    Eat 's.

++ New Posts ++