WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Mahoosuc Notch this weekend

I am looking into doing Mahoosuc Notch this come weekend. I was wondering if anyone else was game to come along. The plan is to go in through Carlo Col trail and stop at Full Goose Shelter for the night and then head through the Notch in the morning and up Mahoosuc arm and out Speck Pond Trail.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Poke-a-moose?

I thought Mahoosuc Notch was renamed this season… isn’t it now called poke-a-moose? At least that’s the rumor I heard! Hope you have a great time!

Images

Default "Mahoosuck"

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I am looking into doing Mahoosuc Notch this come weekend. I was wondering if anyone else was game to come along. The plan is to go in through Carlo Col trail and stop at Full Goose Shelter for the night and then head through the Notch in the morning and up Mahoosuc arm and out Speck Pond Trail.
    You can't get enough of that place or what? While I'm at it in case you haven't heard...your hiker feed was featured in the BDN ( Bangor Daily News )on the sports page last SAturdays paper. Look it up on line, I clipped it out, can copy it and send you a copy if you like. It was well written and I'm proud of the people helping that there was no errors to report! Trail days carbon -copy we don't need! See ya! and have fun at Mahoosuc, if I was in shape I'd join ya...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Carol Col Trail

Attroll,
    A comment about the Carlo Col Trail.

Near the base it's been "logged" over, which pretty much obliterated the treadway. There is blue flagging tied to the slag to help guide you along its route until you reenter the woods on a discernible path. I climbed up this side trail last month and was surprised at the mess I had to walk through to get there.

Have fun playing in the Notch!
    MrsGorp

Images

Default Blue flagging gone Carlo Col trail

The blue flagging has been replaced by blue blazes on logs, rocks, and stumps. There is a piece of red flagging tape on a snag where the trail turns right coming out of a ravine going up to the Col. The water source at the Carlo Col shelter has been meager for the last few weeks. We had our boundary work crew at the tent sites for a few weeks ending a few days ago and filtered all our water since the spring/stream flow was undetectable, just a small pool. The water is probably OK, but hikers putting their hands into the pool to fill water bottles makes it a little risky IMHO.

Please use the bear box since there has been a bear hanging around this summer.

http://www.atcboundary.blogspot.com/
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Default I'll say hello!

I'm going to be spotting a car with a friend at the M. notch trailhead and at grafton, hiking south on the AT on Saturday for an aggressive day hike.

I wanted to ask you anyway if I can save on the shipping costs for White Blaze Pages by picking up in person. My sister just moved to Litchfield.

Peace.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bowie View Post
    I'm going to be spotting a car with a friend at the M. notch trailhead and at grafton, hiking south on the AT on Saturday for an aggressive day hike.

I wanted to ask you anyway if I can save on the shipping costs for White Blaze Pages by picking up in person. My sister just moved to Litchfield.

Peace.
    Well if everything works out and I do go then we should be crossing paths. I am going to be brining my son. I am working out the details right now with him and my work to make sure I do not have to work Saturday.

I sent you a PM about White Blaze Pages.
    AT Troll (2010)

Journal Entries
    Images

The original plan was to hike Mahoosuc Notch. If there is anyone still interested in this with us then we will still do this hike. Right now I am thinking about changing it to hike the Bigelows. From the fire wardens trail to Avery peak and then south on the AT to Horns Pond and back down to the Horns Pond trail until it meets back up to the fire wardens trail. With the stay over at Avery Peak or possibly Horns Pond.

The reason for the change is because I am trying to find the best overnight hike with some awesome views that my son will really appreciate and keep his interest in hiking.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

I'd go with you, Troll, but my sons are too young and don't like it much when I do overnights anymore. A few more years and they'll be out there with me. Have fun. You may want to hike to Horns first for the overnight, then do Avery the next day...less elevation gain the first day so it won't make it a killer for the boy.

To bad about the Carlo Col trail - it was one of the best maintained trails in the Whites before the logging began.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 09-28-2007 at 04:00.
    Greg P.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I'd go with you, Troll, but my sons are too young and don't like it much when I do overnights anymore. A few more years and they'll be out there with me. Have fun. You may want to hike to Horns first for the overnight, then do Avery the next day...less elevation gain the first day so it won't make it a killer for the boy.

To bad about the Carlo Col trail - it was one of the best maintained trails in the Whites before the logging began.
    We have decided to stick with doing the Notch it looks like. Bummer I was hoping to hear from you saying you were coming along.
    AT Troll (2010)

Beware the moose carcass.

Not much of a carcass to speak of; a hide and some bones and that was about it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Where was that I did not see it? maybe it is gone now.
    AT Troll (2010)

It was directly beneath the tibetan prayer flags - no joke. There's a picture of the flags on VFFT (not sure if I should link???) It was definitely withing the first 5-10% of the notch section (north bound).

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Hungry hikers?

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Where was that I did not see it? maybe it is gone now.
    More hungry hikers.

It was directly beneath the tibetan prayer flags - no joke. There's a picture of the flags on VFFT (not sure if I should link???) It was definitely withing the first 5-10% of the notch section (north bound).
    Yeah, I'd say more like the first 1%. I think I came upon it on the first real boulder I had to climb over. Going N.bound, there was a big X on that boulder with the carcass on the other side.

attroll, I was there the same weekend and on Saturday did a loop from Mahoosuc Notch trail to Speckle Pond trail. I bumped into a group of 5 or so people coming into the Speckle Pond shelter on the Speck. Pond trail who asked me if I was you and mentioned something about your car. Not sure what they were getting at but hopefully you guys crossed paths.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Actuary View Post
    attroll, I was there the same weekend and on Saturday did a loop from Mahoosuc Notch trail to Speckle Pond trail. I bumped into a group of 5 or so people coming into the Speckle Pond shelter on the Speck. Pond trail who asked me if I was you and mentioned something about your car. Not sure what they were getting at but hopefully you guys crossed paths.
    No I don't think I ever ran into these people. I did run into and spent the night at Full Goose Shelter with a group of college kids. Maybe that was who you ran into into. Maybe they were just asking about me because of the name on my license plate.
    AT Troll (2010)

No I don't think I ever ran into these people. I did run into and spent the night at Full Goose Shelter with a group of college kids. Maybe that was who you ran into into. Maybe they were just asking about me because of the name on my license plate.
    Nah, I passed that huge group of kids from Bowdoin College in the Notch as we were both going North. These people were coming from the other end up the Speckle Pond Trail into Speck Pond Shelter (There was 3 younger adults with 2 older adults, possibly their parents). If they stuck to their original plan you would have stayed with them that night also in the shelter.

btw, how many people were in the shelter that night? I passed that big group of Bowdoin kids, another huge group of college aged kids, a pair of guys, and then that group of 5 from the other side - all of them were planning on staying in Speck. Pond Shelter Saturday night. Given you were there also and possibly others I didn't pass, it must have been extremely crowded.

Oops.. Ignore that post. I mixed up Speck Pond shelter with Full Goose shelter in my reply. You were going South bound I take it? The Bowdoin kids had split up into two groups: one going N.Bound (staying at Speck Pond), the other going S.Bound (staying at Full Goose). I passed both of them in the Notch and you would have stayed with the S.bound group at the (much less crowded) Full Goose shelter.

Did you hike up from the Speckle Pond Trail head? Cause that's where the group of five I saw were coming from when they mentioned your car. I bet it was the license plate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++