WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Sweet, this is great info, keep it comin Like I said, we want to hike in and camp at the goddard shelter so the 10 miles isn't a big deal. I have been up to the tower before but only by snowmobile in wintertime and have always wanted to go back in the summer. It's not looking like I'm going to have time unfortunately this year but we will definately accomplish it next summertime. Thinking of heading to Mt. Washington this weekend actually...

Default Alternative

Another view/firetower option is Stratton Mtn. It is close to Glastenbury and can easily be day-hiked. The hike from Stratton-Arlington Road is a rather easy 4 miles and the views from the top are spectacular.

Images

We did an overnight at Goddard Shelter the weekend of the 21-22 of September. We spotted cars at Kelley Stand Rd. and then drove around and hiked north from Rt. 9. For a backpack I'd describe it as moderate... our group has done most of the Long Trail from the MA/VT border through Camel's Hump as dayhikes, and even with full packs the Glastenbury section was easier than many of the northern sections with only daypacks. Goddard shelter was very nice with no mice and no sign of them. It was VERY windy which rattled the shelter some, and there was a lot of mist but only a slight sprinkle at one point. There was also a full moon which meant no headlamps needed for trips to the privy. The privy is the mouldering type. Water at the spring was in great supply and the fire tower was open and not too scary (I chickened out one level from the top at the STratton tower in August). The members of our group who tented up in the pines also had a great night, except that they were visited during the night by a pair of lost hunting dogs. Some other campers had their stuff peed on.
    "Dreamt last night I was climbing mountains
    Way beyond love’s fierce hold..."

Default harmon hill

All the advice here was spot on. Harmon hill was a nice day hike, despite the tough ascent. The view was quite nice despite the haze. Our day hiking limited companion had a great time and is now looking for backpacking gear. Next time, we'll make it to goddard for an overnight.

thanks!

you should see the view from the tower
    in the winter time
    its amazing

looks like the snow is almost gone

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mxzrevman View Post
    you should see the view from the tower
    in the winter time
    its amazing

Wow what a difference from summertime hiking when we were there last year. Paul Bunyan got great sunrise and sunset pics.

And welcome to White Blaze!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mxzrevman View Post
    looks like the snow is almost gone
    I know it appears almost gone when looking at West Ridge from Rt 7 or Rt 279, but the actual trail in had 18" or more from 2500' to around 3000' today. I didn't go all the way on my morning hike, but I'm sure there will be at least 30" near the top of Glastenbury. It was the same last year, no snow on West Ridge or Bald Mountain, but over 2' on top of Glastenbury on the 7th of May.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I know it appears almost gone when looking at West Ridge from Rt 7 or Rt 279, but the actual trail in had 18" or more from 2500' to around 3000' today. I didn't go all the way on my morning hike, but I'm sure there will be at least 30" near the top of Glastenbury. It was the same last year, no snow on West Ridge or Bald Mountain, but over 2' on top of Glastenbury on the 7th of May.
    i know ,i spoke too soon
    i was up there yesterday, and today
    and there is a ton of snow still up there on the trails
    there is maybe 2'-2 1/2' on top of the mtn

no snow anywhere else though
    grass is turning green at home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++