WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Back Track Inn (NJ/NY border)

Anyone ever stayed at this hostel in Unionville NY (it's on the border of NJ along Lott Rd.)? What was it like and is it still open?

Sky Rider

it's small and cramped. not really a hostel. just a storage room. sucks in the a.m. cuz there's nowhere to relieve yourself. i had to take a dump in the dumpster

As far as I know its open year round. The Inn is a fine establishment, good friendly folks, cold beverage and good food. Arrived at Happy Hour 1/2 price drinks and free buffet. Like LW said small cramped sleeping area but dry and cozy. However, make sure you take a dump before Inn closes. BTW no Dumpster Diving at the Back Track!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

The "secret shelter" is a short walk from Unionville and is a great place to shelter or tent.

The general store there makes great sandwiches and burgers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    The "secret shelter" is a short walk from Unionville and is a great place to shelter or tent.
    why's it so secret? i hear it's for "thru-hikers only" more elitist BS

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    why's it so secret? i hear it's for "thru-hikers only" more elitist BS
    Yeah, if a non-thru hiker stays there, the donkey brothers start a verbal protest.

Yeah, if a non-thru hiker stays there, the donkey brothers start a verbal protest.
    wingfoot's book says "thru-hikers" only.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf; 09-26-2007 at 15:15. Reason: cuz i wanted to

Images

wingfoot's book says "thru-hikers" only. jim murray the owner sounds like an elitist bunghole.
    nah, he's pretty cool.

he's just tryin' to keep people from coming up there to throw parties.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Actually, I talked to Mr. Murray for 10 or 15 minutes this summer: he was there mowing the grass. He's a really nice guy. I was glad I got to thank him in person for such a beautiful place to stay and learned a lot about how the present set-up relates to what was there when he bought the place. The opportunity to camp there was one of the reasons I chose the exact route I took this summer. Definitely a not-to-be-missed spot on the trail.

I think its "secret" because Jim the owner dosn't want it in any guides. No problem with section hikers as far as I know. Never asked never told! BTW Jim is a standup guy!

Actually, I talked to Mr. Murray for 10 or 15 minutes this summer: he was there mowing the grass. He's a really nice guy. I was glad I got to thank him in person for such a beautiful place to stay and learned a lot about how the present set-up relates to what was there when he bought the place. The opportunity to camp there was one of the reasons I chose the exact route I took this summer. Definitely a not-to-be-missed spot on the trail.
    well then he should allow any and all hikers. not just thru-hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    I think its "secret" because Jim the owner dosn't want it in any guides. No problem with section hikers as far as I know. Never asked never told! BTW Jim is a standup guy!
    it's in both guides

I stopped there when it was called Unionville Inn and Hostel. I was almost broke so I sat at the bar and drank about 4 or 5 ice teas before I realized refills weren't free. Paid for the "bunk house" but it was too hot so I ended up sleping out back in the grass. Friendly folks though.

it's in both guides
    The Companion says "long-distance hikers".

Quote Originally Posted by Flush2wice View Post
    I stopped there when it was called Unionville Inn and Hostel. I was almost broke so I sat at the bar and drank about 4 or 5 ice teas before I realized refills weren't free. Paid for the "bunk house" but it was too hot so I ended up sleping out back in the grass. Friendly folks though.
    You have to watch that above the Mason-Dixon line. Sometimes refills on coffee aren't free, either. Your're lucky they even HAD iced tea, and I bet you twenty bucks it wasn't pre-sweetened.

well then he should allow any and all hikers. not just thru-hikers.

To echo what someone else said...when I met him this summer he was a chill individual who just wanted to keep people from coming up there to party. Maybe in his mind the idea of calling it "thru-hikers only" might deflect some of those caste. I agree though, maybe "respectful hikers only" would be better.

His concern was warranted as you could access the site by walking less than .5 miles by trail or .25 miles by road.

Well the guide I used DIDN'T HAVE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    To echo what someone else said...when I met him this summer he was a chill individual who just wanted to keep people from coming up there to party. Maybe in his mind the idea of calling it "thru-hikers only" might deflect some of those caste. I agree though, maybe "respectful hikers only" would be better.

His concern was warranted as you could access the site by walking less than .5 miles by trail or .25 miles by road.
    i'm just ventin'. the last few years i've come across too much "for thru-hiker only" crap.

You have to watch that above the Mason-Dixon line. Sometimes refills on coffee aren't free, either. Your're lucky they even HAD iced tea, and I bet you twenty bucks it wasn't pre-sweetened.
    No it wasn't but the ice was cold and the lemons were tasty. They had sugar in the little packets.
    That reminds me of this little quirk that I bet happens to lots of hikers: After a couple hundred miles I started putting cream and sugar in my coffee. Before that I drank it black my whole life. It took me 2 years after the hike to quit the cream and another 2 or 3 to quit the sugar.

Bottom line, Walessp, is that you might rather eat in town at the inn or general store and stay at Jim Murray's. There's an outhouse, a sink where you can wash clothes, a sleeping loft, a pack scale, a cold shower, good drinking water, clotheslines, heat, and maybe even a fan in the cabin, plus plenty of nice grassy tenting area. It's right off the trail. There is a shortcut from there to town, shorter than the route on the trail, and there's a detailed map in the little cabin. Plus the donkeys are pretty cool.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 09-26-2007 at 15:32.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++