WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NOBO Late Start

Talking NOBO Late Start

I'll be getting a late start (early May), because of graduation. However, I'm still hoping to make it through. I'll probably take it easy for a week or two before I start picking up the pace. Once I gain some ground it'll be time to stop and smell the roses. I'm just wondering if anybody else is going to be taking off around that time. If not, I hope to catch you early birds on the trail!
    "Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each."

I suppose I should mention this is for a 2008 thru hike.
    "Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each."

Working on Forestry Grad schol

That's really the perfect time to start. You'll miss the bitter cold in the deep south, lyme disease season in the upper mid-atlantic and southern new england, and biting insect season from jersey north.

You'll have other people starting at that time--mostly young people graduating from college (or on summer breaks), so you shouldn't have a problem meeting people that you have a lot in common with. Meeting a partner online then expecting to thru-hike with them isn't the best of ideas.

Enjoy your hike.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

dont kill yourself trying to make it to Maine. you'll have plenty of time. I wouldnt worry about your schedule much.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

Smile

Well this thread makes me happy. I still have a few years of college left, but I'd love to thru when I graduate....early May I suppose. I'm glad it sounds doable--5 1/2 months should be fine. Time to daydream some more, only now with grounded hope!
    To hope means to be ready at every moment for that which is not yet born, and yet not become desperate if there is no birth in our lifetime.

shadetree, go southbound..........
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

I had considered going SOBO, but I didn't feel like hiking through Maine being eaten alive by the black flies and such. Not to mention, I really want to finish on Katahdin with a bottle of the bubbly and a few friends I've met on the way. More importantly, my logistics will be much more efficient on a NOBO hike...I have the parents down south to leave my maildrops with without going out of my way, and I have friends spread gradually up the trail that I hope to take advantage of

I would like to say that with this thread I'm not necessarily looking for a thru hike partner. I'm more interested in finding people that I'm highly likely to cross paths with. I did like one of RockStar's suggestions about a whiteblaze patch, or something along those lines...that'd be nice

++ New Posts ++