WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Long Trail

Images

Hammock Hanger was on the LT in early June this year. You can read her account on Trail Journals.

Default June OK

A-Train, you are at UVM, so you will see what spring is like. The Green Mountain Club urges everyone to stay off the higher elevations until after mud season. The reason being is that the trail is very soft and fragile until some of the water gets out of the soil and things harden up somewhat. That means, please don't go peak bagging until after Memorial Day.

So, by June, the trail should be in good shape for hiking. However, like Maine, June is black fly season, and skeeters. So, just be prepared and you will be fine.

Unlike Maine, there are bridges in Vermont.

No matter when you hike, enjoy.

Images

Default LT in May

I started a south bound LT hike around Memorial Day in 2002. The bugs were only bad when I stopped hiking and by sunset most were gone. There was mud but no more than a rainy summer season. Mud can vary a lot from year to year. I encountered snow on most peaks above 3000 feet: Jay Peak, Belvidere, Whiteface, Mansfield, Bolton and Camels Hump. The most difficult snow was on the northern slopes of Mansfield (below treeline) and Bolton. On both I was postholing from time to time. I didn't have to carry snowshoes or any kind of crampons or creepers. The things I liked best about hiking in the spring were: fewer people and the forest in various states of blooming (the wildflowers were out too). My spring thru hike was cut short at Appalachian Gap after eight days and I probably missed more snow and the peak black fly season. I returned to finish in October. My 2002 Long Trail hike is on trailjournals at www.trailjournals.com/celt.

I hope to thru-hike the LT a third time and if I do I will shoot for September, and hike south. Both my hikes were in July-August and the trail was still full of mud, I don't think there is a time it's not, but obviously it will be worse in the spring.

As I stated earlier the northern section is harder but it's not that hard. What I mean is that you can still cover 15 a day without breaking your ass, especially if you get out on the trail early. Saying that there were many days when I wished I had done less miles, a problem I tend to have, but never felt like I was over working myself.

Swampyankee

Default Long Trail

A first time post on this forum. I have enjoyed this discussion and would like to hear more on the Long Trail. I am considering a end to end nobo this year and would like to do June, is this wise?

I did a section this past June and found it in good condition. Some mud, but hey it's New England.

Celt - I learned much from your journal. Has anyone else out there done the LT in early summer? Thanks, SY

Hey Swampyank, where in Ct. ya from? I'm from R.I near Kingston.

Default June

June is black fly season in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. But, if you hiked last year in June, you know that.

The Green Mountain Club suggests that you stay off the higher elevations until after Memorial Day so the trail has a chance to dry out some and harden up, so June is fine from that aspect.

June can be a good time to hike. It's before the summer camps start hitting the trail.

Swampyankee

L Wolf. I am from Ellington CT - near Vernon. Every once in a while a transplanted RIer or someone from Eastern CT recognizes the trail name. It is facinating how local this seems to be. People in CT west of the river (Conn) don't seem to know, but you get to RI or Tolland / Windham counties in ct and lots of people kinda know what an "old swampyankee" is.

Peaks, thanks for the input. I assumed Id be ok after Memorial day, but it is good to be reassured. Last June the bugs didn't seem to be overly bothersome - especially when we kept moving. In some ways I'd rather deal with them that the July/August heat.

Thanks again, Swampyankee

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default LT first week of June 03...

My friend Gray Panter and I started out from Sherburne Pass the first week in June. First day was hot, muddy and oh so buggy. Next two days were cold cold and colder. Awoke at the Sunlight Pond Shelter to 36 degrees, felt colder. Remained cold for a few more days then warm and buggy, then cold and wet. So being prepared for anything is a must.

However, sound like you are familar with the area. Have fun.

Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

I figured I'd post the link to the Green Mountain Club's website.
    Great Organization.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

Take a look!
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Images

:banana Hey there RH that's my tag line...

Suppose we can share it... LOL

BTW: We BOTH misquoted her. I corrected mine.

Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Lol HH, I think I may have pulled that quote off your signature awhile back!

I'm in the process of changing it again...
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Images

Default Rh...

Quote Originally Posted by RagingHampster
    Lol HH, I think I may have pulled that quote off your signature awhile back!

I'm in the process of changing it again...
    Don't beat yourself up over it!!! Repeat after me: No, no, must not hit self with club.
    Sue/HH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++