WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Springer to Atkins, VA

Default Springer to Fontana

Given the current water situation, do you think the Springer to Fontana section is doable? I am fairly new to backpacking and have been planning this trip for almost a year now. I've been reading other threads and have contacted local hiking clubs maintaining the AT. I have tried to chart water availability based on hiker feedback but sketchy. I plan to start on 1 Oct and carry 4 liters of water. Springer to Neel's Gap looks OK...as does Neel's Gap to Dick's Creek Gap. North of Dick's Creek Gap it looks iffy. I have been monitoring this site for some time now and greaty appreciate all the advice I have absorbed. Any advice/information now would be greatly appreciated. For background...I'm male...57 years young...6'4/250....32 years US Navy.

pokey

Images

We hiked from Nantahala outdoor center to Stecoah Gap on 9/19 & 9/20. There was NO water at all.Unfortunately, we got off the trail because of this. We're going to finish that area at the end of Oct. I posted a thread when we got home hoping to help let people be aware. When we got to Sassafras gap shelter, the journal's said ,from a few before us, that it was pretty much a "dry deal" from Fontana. We checked all sources between NOC and Stecoah and nothing was to be gotten. When we got back to NOC on the 20th, we ran into a guy coming from the south direction and he said it was scarce, but not dry completely. Just some places were. Keep Ron Haven's # (800)401-0072-Saphire Inn- and Jeff and Nancy Houk at Hike Inn in Fontana(828)479-3677, handy. If you get in trouble any where in that area they will help you out. One question-when do you think you will be coming thru the wayah bald, NOC, Stecoah Gap area? Good Luck.

Springer to Atkins, VA

Roots..thanks for the info. If all goes well I should be passing wayah bald on the 15th and get to NOC late afternoon on the 16th. Would like to be passing stecoah gap on the 18th. Thanks again

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke View Post
    Roots..thanks for the info. If all goes well I should be passing wayah bald on the 15th and get to NOC late afternoon on the 16th. Would like to be passing stecoah gap on the 18th. Thanks again
    Cowpoke,this information has been giving to me by several section hikers.From Dicks Gap and North.Plum Orchard Shelter,Muskrat Creek,blue blaze trail to the left at Standing Indian Shelter,Standing Summit,just before Beech Gap,a little at Carter Gap old Shelter,blue blaze to left 1/10 mile at Betty's Creek.Big Springs has a little but a mile or so north of the shelter is a stream,Rock Gap and 2/10 north of Wallace Gap there is a creek.1/2 mile before and at Winding Stair Gap,Siler Bald Shelter,small creek just before Burningtown Gap,none at cold springs,good supply at Wesser Bald and at Rufas Morgan Shelter has water.

I try to ask all hikers passing about this and some may be in short supply.This info was gave to me this week.

Springer to Atkins, VA

Thanks Ron...greatly appreciated. Do you have any room available on evening of 12th? Would like to stay in Franklin that evening...and maybe 13th. Any rooms at the Budget Inn? Thanks again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke View Post
    Thanks Ron...greatly appreciated. Do you have any room available on evening of 12th? Would like to stay in Franklin that evening...and maybe 13th. Any rooms at the Budget Inn? Thanks again.
    828-524-4403 yes now we do but call soon.tell the desk clerk you are a A T hiker to get a drastic discount rate.rates are running all over Franklin at $80 and up nightly during this time.

++ New Posts ++