WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Hiking with two or three dogs

Its been a while since i have posted or visited white blaze and was very glad to see a section for hiking with dogs since that is something my wife and I are currently looking into.

The problem is we have 3 dogs, a German short haired pointer who is fixated on birds and flies and catching them, a German Sheppard who loves people TOO much and a Jack Russel Terrier who i fear might be too small to take on the trail.

Any one have any advice on:

1) how to train my pointer NOT to chase flying objects
    2) how to keep my German Sheppard from being TOO friendly
    and
    3) is a small breed like a Jack Russel really suitable for the trail?

I understand all the training and work needed to bring a dog on the trail but those three issues are seeming to be hard to figure out.

Thanks
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

Can't help you with the first two; you might want to think about professional dog training. It can be expensive but it's worth it. Dogs that chase after animals tend to get lost often, and over-friendly dogs can be a problem, too.

As to your third, I've met several folks who thru-hiked with Russells. They're tough, scrappy, and very smart. He should do OK, just keep him close.

And because of the stumpy little leg issue, there are places on the Trail where you'll have to give him a hand by picking him up, setting him on ledges, etc. But as to whether or not you can hike with a dog that small, sure you can.

Best of luck to you.

Images

If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around. ~Will Rogers

Well trained dogs that stay well away (let's say shaking distance away when wet) from other hikers, water sources, shelters, tents, hammocks, packs, food and any other personal space are tolerable. Dogs that don't "behave" or that bark, howl, sniff, hump, etc. are not very well received. And don't forget to clean up after the beasties. Follow these rules, otherwise, hikers are not very welcoming of dogs out on the trail. Also, think of the health of the dog - many get injured easily - paws usually take a beating for starters.
    Last edited by Tin Man; 09-27-2007 at 22:33.

Answers:
    1. Keep it on a leash.
    2. Keep it on a leash.
    3. Keep it in one of these:

If you let it out, put it on a leash.

Remember, terriers are bred to chase small animals. Pointers are bred to have a special relationshiop with birds. There are small animals and birds on the trail.

Also, don't plan to stay in any shelters or many of the hostels along the trail. That's going to be some little travelling circus.

Images

good info and at most a weeks hike is all we would do with all three dogs.

the only question left.. should i bring the cat?
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

I'm a dog guy but I have a couple problems with your plan. First It is just too difficult to be in control of multiple dogs. Second is that you have dogs that will want to go after game which makes them even more difficult to control. It is not an easy matter to bring a dog to the AT successfully. When I re-hiked the Springer to Neels Gap this last fall there was a young couple with two dogs on leashes. The dogs were not trained for the trail and none of them were having a good time. I would encourage you to re-think your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Dog View Post
    good info and at most a weeks hike is all we would do with all three dogs.

the only question left.. should i bring the cat?
    Of course. It can ride on the pig.

Just keep it in a harness and on a leash, and don't let the terrier chase it.

I say bring all your animals, heck, it's been done before...
    Attachment 2347(double click to enlarge)

Images

Post some pics of your dogs in your gallery.

Traildog- The size of the jack russel is less relevant then your other concerns with your dogs. I have known many jacks that make excellent trail dogs. You know your dogs best please trust your instincts.

In terms of train the pointer not to hunt birds. Start doing basic leash training. This means that you should tie the dog to your waist and say NOTHING. Then walk pay no attention to the dog just walk. Do not stop unless you intend to even if you are dragging the dog behind you. When you are at the point that he listens and watches only you take him to a pet store that sells birds and do all his training again, everything from sit, down, stay, off, come to walking nicely. Use treats to reward only when his attention is on you and not the birds. Do the leash training whenever you are around your dogs. If his mind goes to the birds then immediately start basic training i.e. sit, down, stand and shake a paw until he is entirely focused on you. Once you can do this in front of the birds at the pet store take this training on the road and find other places birds hang out.

The shepherd's problem is easier. Do not allow him to say hi to anyone without a command to do so. Do the same leash training as above but you want to expose and train around people. Anytime he sees someone he wants to say hi to, tell him to sit and stay. Talk to the person and if they want a hello, give your dog a command to release from the stay and say hi. I literally use the command "go say hi", then and only then allow the dog to approach and sit at the persons feet to get attention. When it is over say "heel" and bring the dog to your side. If your dog approaches without consent correct and return to your side to remain sitting. Ask the person to turn their back on the dog if that happens. Don't try to say hi with everyone. Make people ask before petting. You must control the timing, place and amount of all attention.

Try to remember that birds for your pointer and people for your shepherd are both strong rewards. So end your training session by commanding your pointer to approach the cage and say hi while remaining calm and then leave as you indicate. The shepherd's training should end with someone petting him while he remains under control. Try seeing if your friends who own birds would let you train around their bird. Try having parties at home where the shepherd is tied to you and gets hundreds of chances to sit and stay for attention. Re-evaluate after a few weeks and see if the behaviour has gotten better. Best of luck and always correct the bad and reward the good.

I have nothing to say about cats, I train dogs. Though I love the photo of the pig and cat, feels a little like a scarlets web moment. I would not recommend the idea of carrying the dogs unless they were ill, in which case get them off the trail and to the vet. Carrying a dog in your arms or backpack increases the danger of aggression because the dog is trapped when people and animals approach it. If you think leash aggression is bad just wait until you see aggression when held in place. Dogs are much more secure on their own four paws then in your arms.

Adam

Leave the dogs (and cat) at home. Hiking with one dog is hard enough. The hike becomes about the dog - what their needs are, what trouble they are in, how they are dealing with heat, thirst, wet, sore paws, ticks, wildlife and other hikers, etc. If you want to enjoy your AT hike, you don't want to have to spend all your time dealing with the dog's issues. It is hard enough to take care of your own.

With three animals, chances are that mid-hike at least one would need to go home. I've heard of dogs that just sat down and refused to walk another step. Forcing them to keep going can become abusive. Do you really want to have to deal with that, midway?

If your dogs are not experienced climbers, are you prepared to pick up and carry your dogs, one at a time, up the rock scrambles in New England? When we went through Mahoosic Notch, we could hear the howls of a dogehiked with someone who had to carry his Chesapeake Bay Retriever over the rocks in New York. It wasn't easy.

Trail Dog,

Adam gives the best dog training advice that I've heard. I would add that you might have mixed training results. Not all your dogs may reach the level of training you hope for. I encourage everyone who wants to thru hike with a dog to take a long test hike near their home to assure that it will work. The repetition of the daily routine can help finish the training or help you conclude that one or more of the dogs isn't suited or ready for a thru hike. My dog Winter is retired from hiking now but she made hiking look easy. Some dogs are just easier than others on the trail and off.

Superman, your Winter was without a doubt the coolest and best trail dog I ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Leave the dogs (and cat) at home. Hiking with one dog is hard enough. The hike becomes about the dog - what their needs are, what trouble they are in, how they are dealing with heat, thirst, wet, sore paws, ticks, wildlife and other hikers, etc. If you want to enjoy your AT hike, you don't want to have to spend all your time dealing with the dog's issues. It is hard enough to take care of your own.

With three animals, chances are that mid-hike at least one would need to go home. I've heard of dogs that just sat down and refused to walk another step. Forcing them to keep going can become abusive. Do you really want to have to deal with that, midway?

If your dogs are not experienced climbers, are you prepared to pick up and carry your dogs, one at a time, up the rock scrambles in New England? When we went through Mahoosic Notch, we could hear the howls of a
    dogehiked with someone who had to carry his Chesapeake Bay Retriever over the rocks in New York. It wasn't easy.
    Spirit, you nailed my thoughts. Amen.
    Founder, Royal Order of the Scarlet Nape

Images

Trail Dog,
    With all due respect, are you insane?? I can just see it know, the pointer goes after a bird at the same time the russell sees a chipmunk, and another hiker approaches sending the shepherd spastic. Oh ya, you're gonna have a really good hike.......Pick one and put all your energy into making that one a great trail dog. Personally, I'd pick the Russell Terrier. He'll never run out of energy and you can carry him relatively easily if the need should arise. One dog is hard enough if you're doing it right, three is pure masochism.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

know = now
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I'm with Spiritwalker, Tha, LilRed.

Plus, how big of a tent are you carrying to accomodate the poochi?
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Yeah, I have a 7 month Great Dane and was thinking about bringing her next year, but changed my mind. They can have health issues with joints and such, the weight of her carrying her own food up, down, and over wouldn't be healthy, and the shipping cost of the specialty food she eats, added to the pain of picking it up at different points... Indeed she's a smart, excellent, well trained dog and I wish I could take her with me, but my parents have agreed to keep her for me while I'm gone next year...
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Multiple Dogs? No Problem

I agree with Adam's advice, I would like to add something helpful.

1. Find a local park where other dog folks go to the woods, somthing with a well marked public loop. At first take the one alone, that is too freindly. Tye to the waist or very short leash and put yourself in control. Force the dog to ignore others and reward each pass at first with a tiny treat, such as Goldfish or Cheese curls. & a verbal Good boy or Girl. After a few days ask permission on other dog owners to "visit" and reward for good behavior. I also did somthing that would surprise other dog owners, I asked permission on someone to restrain their pit bull "the dog would bark & bite" & allowed a bad visit to teach my dog that not all dogs would be nice. After 4 weeks of 3 walks a week Rugby gets it! I am starting to see a polite trail dog. We just finished a 5 miler in 1 hour 20 minutes and he loved it.

2. Pull the dogs apart and train each one on the loop individually with short hard leash (Not spring loaded at first) then put two together and walk them down the same loop over again, continue to do one on one and then as a group as they build confidence. in the group setting you need to bring someone with you to walk between in case they get to distracted. All dogs are trained to walk on the left of you and if they strain to the right they have to be told off. It is important they stay to the left side as when they get back into a group all hell doesn't break loose, and you find yourself tangled.

3. Have you thought of dog training video's rented from your local library? it really rallied me to do better with my dogs!

Good Luck,

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++