WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pee bottle

Philospher of Absolute Reality

Default pee bottle

I wanted my first post to be about an important topic...
    Does anyone else use a pee bottle as part of their sleep system?
    Getting up in the night to pee or trying to hold it can make you cold and uncomfortable. I've found that I get a better night's sleep if I can just drain my bladder into a bottle, roll over, and go back to sleep. If it's really cold out, I leave the (very tightly sealed) bottle in my bag, but usually I place it just outside my tent or bivy. I've always just used an old water bottle, but one of these days I'm going to pick up a "Nalgene Cantene" for it's smaller bulk and lighter weight.
    This is an option for women, too, if they're willing to use the "Lady J Adapter."
    It looks like the Lady J Adapter might have the advantage of being compatable with bottles without wide mouths.
    (I'm new here so I will refrain from inserting any of the the inappropriate jokes that would be appropriate in this post.)

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Only in the Winter. Answered nature's call one cold December night on Blood Mountain and slipped on some ice - not good.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

yes, I do. I just use a plastic jar from home nothing fancy. Keep it outside my tarp away from my gear.

Very tempting in winter for sure, but I usually try and do without, and always end up improvising. Fatigue, and Forty Below, makes cowards of us all.

I use a wide mouth one liter soda bottle so I can't confuse it with my nalgene water bottle. In winter I will put it in the foot of my sleeping bag after use to keep my feet warm. Works great.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I only used a pee bottle on one trip (actually an old hard plastic racquetball container marked with a skull & crossbones), but I didn't find that I used it enough to justify the volume it took up in my pack. Winter camping in sub-zero temperatures might change my mind at some point.

Images

Default traveljohn

I've used the TravelJohn mentioned on the first page of this site. Also some other interesting pee items there.

Default Snapple

the 32 ounce Snaplle bottle works great, but don't confuse it with
    Peach flavored Snapple before Your morning coffee.
    If man was man's best freind,
    it wouldn't be a dog eat dog world

I used the nalgene canteen, it works great. I don't confuse it with my water bottle because it's a Lt. Aquafina bottle. My playtpus is much larger than the nalgene, so no confusion there. For me, it's worth the little expense in weight to be able to do your business without leaving the hammock/tent.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

Images

In the shelters, no. But I found the beauty of sleeping in my tent... Ahh the freedom... Usually in the middle of the night, I'd have to go pee, but it'd be too cold out compared to my warm sleeping bag so I'd stay halfway in the bag and just pee out the front of my tent... Pooping is one thing, but at 3am and 20 degrees, I'm not going 50 yards anywhere just to take a leak...
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I've used the TravelJohn mentioned on the first page of this site. Also some other interesting pee items there.

Including the "LittleJohn" (type used in hospitals and nursing homes). Less likely to spill it.
    http://www.biorelief.com/store/Littl...le-Urinal.html
    halftime

Images

From the same site as the "littlejohn":
    http://www.biorelief.com/store/uriwe...al_toilet.html

Seems like this would be even more user friendly by being collapsible (smaller in the pack) and flexible.

aka Mokay
    Images

Folgers 11 1/2 oz coffee jar. Airtight seal, just deep enough for a kneeling squat, wide enough to not have to worry about missing (theres an extra aim issue with us female types), and ridged grip to facilitate getting it back out of the bag and sealed up in the dark.

Dump and rinse it out in the AM, insert a Bounce dryer sheet to minimize odor, and use for storage of spare biners, batteries, in a sealed ziplock bag.

Never had one fail me yet.
    HUGS - J

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    From the same site as the "littlejohn":
    http://www.biorelief.com/store/uriwe...al_toilet.html

Seems like this would be even more user friendly by being collapsible (smaller in the pack) and flexible.

No thats what I want. 750cc is about 25 ounces of pee.

Images

Being shipped Priority Mail as I write.

Images

Glad to help!

Geezer

I use a ZipLoc freezer bag, marked with a skull and crossbones. When you winter camp, a nalgene is no good because the urine freezes inside. With a ZipLoc, you can turn it inside out and dump the frozen yellow brick into the snow. The bag is light weight, and I saw no reason to change to a heavy nalgene in the summer.

I don't use it in shelters obviously, but I prefer to tent anyway. The ZipLoc is nice because it is so wide, makes aiming easy. Do not want to "miss" and wet my sleeping bag!

I empty the bag out in the morning, and rinse it as soon as possible. During the day, I keep it in an outside pocket of my pack, double-bagged inside another ZipLoc.

Being a middle-aged man...okay - old man - but the idea is the same...I tend to have to go more than once a night, and the pee bag makes life easier.
    Frosty

Images

Lightbulb REI odor/water proof bags

I was in REI a week ago and saw some new odor-proof bags (also water proof, etc). They are like zip-locks, except the tops fold over, I believe. Shows a photo of a fish stored in one and some bear in the background.

Anyway, I was reading the package about how wonderful these bags are and all the uses they can be put to ... and there, right in the text, it said that pilots and others could use them safely as urine storage bags!

There you go... multi-use (LOL), flexible, takes up no room, light weight, and you have the whole top open to aim for! AND, bears won't smell your pee and come for you in the middle of the night while you are neatly wrapped up tight in your sleeping bag and can't get away.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by halftime View Post
    Including the "LittleJohn" (type used in hospitals and nursing homes). Less likely to spill it.
    http://www.biorelief.com/store/Littl...le-Urinal.html
    Less likely to spill, that's the best part of the system. Best of both worlds. Very practical. Can't confuse it with anything else. Reminds me of one of my stoves, tip it over, nothing spills out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++