WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default new cook system needed

When we hit the trail for our 08 or 09 thru, I am seriously considering re-vamping my cooking system. Currently we use mostly dehydrated home made meals, hot tea, oameal...nothing extravagant other than boiling water. We use a jetboil system with 2 cups, one for each of us. What are some lighter, and functional recommendations for this...keep in mind it is for 2.
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

Canister stove or even an MSR Simmerlight. The MSR doesn't make sense for solo hiking, but IMO it makes lots of sense when the stove is shared between two or more hikers.

Images

If you want a canister I HIGHLY reccomend the Coleman F1 ultralight extreme. It came out very close to the Jetboil for fuel efficiency and speed without all the extra weight or cost.

If you want alcohol look at a Caldera Cone.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    If you want a canister I HIGHLY reccomend the Coleman F1 ultralight extreme. It came out very close to the Jetboil for fuel efficiency and speed without all the extra weight or cost.

If you want alcohol look at a Caldera Cone.
    I noted that coleman advertises 16,400 BTU. That's 40 to 60% more than most mini burner canisters, I believe. Did you notice any obvious reasons for the huge heat output?

Images

Well I never turn one of these things up all the way when I use them - it justs wastes fuel. I did notice that the flame pattern for the head keeps the flame under the pot without pinpointing it in one place.

BUT, from some JB parts users, you might want to use one of their group pots with this sort of stove - apparently it helps.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

For regular stuff, alcohol still works well for 2. Some couples even take 2 stoves and fix meals individually. I've used a ton of stoves, fuels, and whatnot, but still end up using an old refried bean can with some slots cut near the top in the end. YMMV

Images

I'm a big fan of the Sierra Zip stove. The obvious advantage is that you do not need to carry fuel. You pick up sticks and anything else that burns from the ground. Sierra claims a heat output of 18,000 BTU/hr. I'm sure that is with the fan set high and perfect dry wood. The wood burns to total ash so you can cat hole it. The fan is powered with a AA battery. The stove without battery weighs 17 oz. They now make a titanium version that weighs 10 oz. without battery. I always carry 1 extra AA for longer trips. The disadvantage is that, where's there's fire there's flame and smoke. So unless you are under an open tarp, you really can't cook under shelter well. Course no-one does that anyway. There is also a learning curve associated with getting the hang of operating this stove properly. However, with all of that I am a big fan. It works well, you can simmer or just boil water.

Comparing this to the Pocket Rocket, which weighs 3 oz., full canister weighs 12 oz., empty canister weighs 8 oz.. So with a full canister the Zip stove is about 4 oz(figuring 1 oz for battery), heavier. My delimma w/ the PR is How much fuel is left in the canister? You can weigh it prior to leaving and estimate the volume remaining, but on the trail you really don't know. For short trips that's no problem, but for longer trips do you carry an extra? Then there's the useless empty 8 oz that you are carrying around till you find a proper disposal location.

I really like the whole no fuel needed thing and intend to get a titanium Zip stove as soon as I can save up the $130 (ouch).

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Sierra Zip stove. The obvious advantage is that you do not need to carry fuel. You pick up sticks and anything else that burns from the ground. Sierra claims a heat output of 18,000 BTU/hr. I'm sure that is with the fan set high and perfect dry wood. The wood burns to total ash so you can cat hole it. The fan is powered with a AA battery. The stove without battery weighs 17 oz. They now make a titanium version that weighs 10 oz. without battery. I always carry 1 extra AA for longer trips. The disadvantage is that, where's there's fire there's flame and smoke. So unless you are under an open tarp, you really can't cook under shelter well. Course no-one does that anyway. There is also a learning curve associated with getting the hang of operating this stove properly. However, with all of that I am a big fan. It works well, you can simmer or just boil water.

Comparing this to the Pocket Rocket, which weighs 3 oz., full canister weighs 12 oz., empty canister weighs 8 oz.. So with a full canister the Zip stove is about 4 oz(figuring 1 oz for battery), heavier. My delimma w/ the PR is How much fuel is left in the canister? You can weigh it prior to leaving and estimate the volume remaining, but on the trail you really don't know. For short trips that's no problem, but for longer trips do you carry an extra? Then there's the useless empty 8 oz that you are carrying around till you find a proper disposal location.

I really like the whole no fuel needed thing and intend to get a titanium Zip stove as soon as I can save up the $130 (ouch).
    I've used both. The Zzip is a great stove, but you have to get used to it. There's a fair amount of work and fuss involved -- gathering fuel, starting the thing, keeping it going, dealing with sooty cook gear, etc.

I used a Pocket Rocket with "large" canisters on the last section hike. I only cook one meal a day; usually Liptons, preceded by two cups of tea. The large canisters (8 oz. net wt. of fuel) lasted at least two weeks each. That is to say, I never really did exhaust one. I replaced them on general principle when there was opportunity for resupply. There's just no comparing the pocket rocket with Zzip -- they're at opposite ends of the spectrum.

FWIW, this combination -- Pocket Rocket (or equivalent) with "large" canisters -- seemed to be *very* popular on the trail this year.

Okay, I will be the one to say it. If all you are doing is boiling water, an alcohol stove is perfect. Go for something simple.

Images

All true Terrapin, I also have both stoves. As I said there is a learning curve w/ the Zip. You can't just lean over, put a match to it, set the water on and walk away, as you can with the Pocket Rocket (or equiv.), which is nice when you are still in the bag and want that coffee.

Then again I enjoy the cooking process and don't mind the inconviences, in exchange for not having to worry about fuel.

I think you can compare them because they are both stoves and cook food. I hear what you are saying though, because they are for two different types of users. I'll have to try the larger canisters for longer trips. With the 8 oz of fuel, what is the gross weight of the canister?

There are fire bans on portions of the trail at least here in GA so you wouln't be able to use the zip stove on the entire thru unless it also works with esbit tabs or something of that nature.

With the 8 oz of fuel, what is the gross weight of the canister?
    About 13-14 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by simplespirit View Post
    There are fire bans on portions of the trail at least here in GA so you wouln't be able to use the zip stove on the entire thru unless it also works with esbit tabs or something of that nature.
    If you can't cook with a zip stove due to fire bans, then logically any open flame is banned, e.g. cannister stove, alky stove, esbit, etc. In other words, why would a zip STOVE be banned, yet any other form of fuel burned in a stove is not banned?
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Images

Did some research on this a while back when looking to get a zip stove. It has to do with the ability to turn a stove off instantly as opposed to the embers, sparks, and those sorts of issues with the Zip stove.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Did some research on this a while back when looking to get a zip stove. It has to do with the ability to turn a stove off instantly as opposed to the embers, sparks, and those sorts of issues with the Zip stove.
    One evening when using my zip, a hearty breeze came up as a cold front moved in. Embers started to get up and out of the stove. I put 2 cups of water onto the fire and made short work of putting it out. Not exactly instant but did ok.

I have since substituted the Globe stove in place of the zipp. Much lighter and easier to start.

My first choice is using wood. Second is alcohol.

Images

I like the globe too, I still have mine. I look at it this way though:

1. If I am going to have a fire anyway - I may as well cook on it to save fuel.

2. In cases where I am not going to have a fire because it is inconvenient or too much work for the conditions - then having a super light stove such as esbit or alcohol is nice to have.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I'm not familiar with the globe stove. Do you have a link zelph?

It's true, Zzip stoves are just a small, self-contained campfire (and very useful in that regard, on cold rainy days, just to warm up.) That also makes them tricky to use in certain "civilized" conditions where other stoves are acceptable. (Eg., the porch of Dan Quinn's barn in VT.)

But alky stoves are also tricky to "turn off."

Images

Yes they are. But I can normally snuff one out with my pot cozy/windscreen.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I'm not familiar with the globe stove. Do you have a link zelph?
    The "Globe Stove" is made from a stainless steel mesh aftermarket lantern replacement globe. Instead of the globe being made of glass, they made it out of unbreakable stainless steel mesh.

The word is out that some are finding the replacement globes for $2.00 each. Get em while they last.

Also known as The 45 gram wood burning stove

Last edited by zelph; 10-02-2007 at 11:02.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++