WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Smile Good dayhikes at Mt. Greylock

I'm looking for some good dayhiking trails at Mt. Greylock. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mnof1000v View Post
    I'm looking for some good dayhiking trails at Mt. Greylock. Any suggestions?
    get the map for that region then have at it.

Default Haha...

I have the map, have looked at the map... I'm looking for suggestions. But thanks for your insight.

I believe the road to the top is still closed for maintenance, so keep that in mind when planning your options. I have hiked Greylock a couple of times and without the road and off the top of my head, I would suggest just doing the AT from one end to the other and arrange transportation accordingly. It can be dayhiked, or you can take your time and enjoy the campsites on either end which are plenty nice. You can also add miles by staying on the trail - the AT north or south of Greylock offer very nice hiking and camping options.

A guy that shuttled me once in that neighborhood spoke glowingly of Mt. Alander. Some of his pix of Alander are here. In fact, after dropping me off for my hike (Rte 7. south of Great Barrington, heading for Dalton), he was going to be hiking Alander for the weekend. I know it's not Greylock but you seemed to be looking for non-AT local stuff.

The road isn't exactly closed but I wouldn't drive a compact car over it, It's rough.
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

According to the state of MA, the roads to summit and many other facilities are not open until 2009.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGreylock/

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

As mentioned earlier, the road to the top is closed, so there will be no slack driving the mountain. The summit will be littered with construction related equipment, and the summit tower is closed through 2009 I believe. fantastic mountain though.

Kirby

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Greylock Trails

The parking area at Haley Farm, which I use for my favorite sections unfortunately doesn't allow overnight parking. I day hike out of there quite regularly and head up the Money Brook Trail to the falls and the top of Greylock or alternatively up either the Hopper Trail or the Haley Farm Trail. Legal overnight parking is allowed only to the north of Mt. Williams, off Pattison Rd where the AT crosses. Probably the best map for all this information, the trails, and campsites is on the Williams Outing Club's North Berkshire Trails map*.

*Available at: The Mountain Goat, Water Street, Williamstown, MA.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 09-29-2007 at 22:12.

The visitor center at the base is still open. There is a parking lot there, although I don't know whether they allow overnight parking or not. You can pick up trail maps there and also speak with someone who can recommend a good hike for you based on what you are looking to do.

As stated before, no water or facilities at the summit, but on a clear day, still a nice place to have a lunch.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mnof1000v View Post
    I have the map, have looked at the map... I'm looking for suggestions. But thanks for your insight.
    you have the map, you can see all the trails, you can choose a route. i have no insight. you can't decide for yourself.

Default :)

It has nothing to do with inability to choose. Anybody can roll the dice and pick a random trail. Given that I don't live right next door, I'm looking for a suggestion or two, so I can narrow my options. And my fellow WB'ers have given suggestions. But I do appreciate your prodding, L. Wolf. Whether you consider it insight, or not.

++ New Posts ++