WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

schmuttis

Default Group hike 10/20/07 - NJ AT Section 4

We're looking for people interested in hiking the NJ AT section 4 on 10/20/07 with us and also for people that have hiked this area before. We were thinking about hiking from Deckertown Turnpike to US 206 Culvers Gap BUT we don't know what these parking areas are like. Does anyone know how many cars could park at each, if they are safe and easily accessible?

Let us know if interested in hiking or if you have any information on this area: [email protected]

Thanks - hope to see you.

schmuttis

We've had several people express an interest in this. Since this is next weekend, we would like to firm up any plans with those that expressed an interest but hadn't decided whether they would like to join us.

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by schmuttis View Post
    We're looking for people interested in hiking the NJ AT section 4 on 10/20/07 with us and also for people that have hiked this area before. We were thinking about hiking from Deckertown Turnpike to US 206 Culvers Gap BUT we don't know what these parking areas are like. Does anyone know how many cars could park at each, if they are safe and easily accessible?

Let us know if interested in hiking or if you have any information on this area: [email protected]

Thanks - hope to see you.
    I may be able to join your group. How many do you have so far?

There is parking for 30-40 cars at Culvers Gap, and maybe 10 at Deckertown Turnpike. I would say both are safe areas, the Culvers Gap lot is patrolled frequently by NJ State Park Police.

Since I live only a few miles from Deckertown Turnpike, may I suggest the following:
    Have the group meet at Culvers Gap. Drive the group to Deckertown Turnpike using a maximum of (3) vehicles, then hike south to Culvers Gap. After the hike I'll take those drivers back to their cars on my way home.

Let me know if this works.

Images

Hi Schmuttis,
    I was very much interested, but we have a Cubscout overnight camping trip on the 20th-21st. You had also mentioned the 27th, in which I also wanted to participate. My cousins are coming from England on the 25th and I will not be available, though I would like to hike with you in NJ/PA at some point.
    Thank you for the invites.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

schmuttis

As of today, Sunday Oct. 14th, we have 3 definite hikers so we will be hiking as long as the weather cooperates. If SteveM joins us, that will make 4.

Of course, anyone else is welcome to join us too but please let us know so we can keep you posted with meeting and start times.

SteveM - thanks for the info. Looking at the topo map your suggestion for hiking direction sounds great. Hope you will be able to join us too.

schmuttis

Default It was a glorius day

I'm sorry for all of you who were unable to join us today. The weather and the leaves cooperated for beautiful sites and a tremendous hike. I've attached two pictures from our hike today (hopefully it worked as I've never tried this before). One picture is of the hikers and the second of one of the views. Hopefully the foliage will last for next week's posted hike (10/27/2007).

schmuttis

Default Oops

I attached two photos to the previous post that were incorrect. They were a trail picture and a trail view. I am attaching a copy of the hikers to this post. I am in a too relaxed mode after the great hike to function normally.

++ New Posts ++