WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Training at home

For those of you who train throughout the year, and I know not everyone feels this is necessary, do you ever just load up your pack and walk around your neighborhood? Since I can't get to a trail except on weekends, I have started doing this along with riding my bike and doing some strength training. My S/O is embarrassed that I do this since we live in the city and the hills I use are in an upscale neighborhood. Am I the only one who does this? Just curious.

I do the same thing. My neighbor questioned me once. I explained myself and haven't heard anything else.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndie View Post
    For those of you who train throughout the year, and I know not everyone feels this is necessary, do you ever just load up your pack and walk around your neighborhood? Since I can't get to a trail except on weekends, I have started doing this along with riding my bike and doing some strength training. My S/O is embarrassed that I do this since we live in the city and the hills I use are in an upscale neighborhood. Am I the only one who does this? Just curious.
    If I load a pack I'm gonna go walk in the mountains somewhere.

Otherwise, I train by running.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

~ Am I the only one who does this? Just curious.
    Cyndie,

When I was 16 or 17, I trained with the entire Comptons Encyclopedia in my Kelty Tioga.

Yeah, I was wacked!
    Roland

I do it every day... City walking that is...

I eat to train. Its a weakness, I love good food, whats a brother to do?

Images

If you don't have anywhere else, then the city is better than nothing. I don't think training is necessary though, I think you will train as you hike. I do think it is good to get a lot of miles with a loaded pack to see if everything fits and will hold up. Some problems will only occur after a couple of hours with the pack on.

I load up my pack with extra weight on day/weekend hikes, but not for walking in the city. I would think a mugger would get one look at you, set you on your back and clean you out.

I do strength and cardio training at home daily. Well, I count my rest days as part of my training regimen.

Images

Another option is to get a treadmill and set it at a steep angle, load your pack up, put it on and speed walk a few miles. I dont know how steep the hills are by you but pretty sure the treadmill will give you more of a workout.
    Dont know if its worth going out and buy'n one to do this but if you got one...... give it a try and let us know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus45acp View Post
    ~I don't think training is necessary though, I think you will train as you hike. ~
    With all due respect, Zak, I don't think you are qualified to tell someone twice your age that training is not necessary. At 24, I could step off the couch and hike 25 miles with a 50 pound pack. At 50, it takes more prep/training, to be able to do that.

I know. I had the same attitude at your age. You'll find out!
    Roland

Images

Find stairs.

Ask your SO to come with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    I do it every day... City walking that is...

I eat to train. Its a weakness, I love good food, whats a brother to do?
    join us at General Pickett's Buffet for meals all weekend!

Images

Default Training at Home

I am 67 and I walk with or without my pack everyday. My walks range from 2 miles to 12 miles a day. I do it everyday rain or shine. I like the rainy days and I try out different rain gear to see how it works. My pack weight ranges from 12 to 25 pounds. I make about all my own gear and when I make a new pack I test it by carring it everyday.

If I am close to a hike date I walk closer to the 12 mile mark everyday. I have found it is nice to hit the trail and be able to hike 12 to 20 miles on day one "IF" I want to.

This also lets me get a chance to see how a new pair of shoes is working.

Last, I just feel much better walking that much everyday.

Muggers, that is what my trecking pole is for. Make my day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    With all due respect, Zak, I don't think you are qualified to tell someone twice your age that training is not necessary. At 24, I could step off the couch and hike 25 miles with a 50 pound pack. At 50, it takes more prep/training, to be able to do that.

I know. I had the same attitude at your age. You'll find out!

I stand corrected there, I didn't even look at Cyndie's age.

I stand corrected there, I didn't even look at Cyndie's age.
    It's excusable, Zak. At your age, we were all 10' tall and bulletproof.
    Roland

Images

If you don't have anywhere else, then the city is better than nothing. I don't think training is necessary though, I think you will train as you hike. I do think it is good to get a lot of miles with a loaded pack to see if everything fits and will hold up. Some problems will only occur after a couple of hours with the pack on.
    In '06 and '07 I failed at achieving my section hike goals because of knee problems. I was doing 15 mile days with a 40lb pack. So that is why I am training this year as well as working on reducing my pack weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Another option is to get a treadmill and set it at a steep angle, load your pack up, put it on and speed walk a few miles. I dont know how steep the hills are by you but pretty sure the treadmill will give you more of a workout.
    Dont know if its worth going out and buy'n one to do this but if you got one...... give it a try and let us know if it works.
    Some of the hills are too steep to attempt to ride up them on a bike, unless you are a contender for the Tour de France! Cincinnati is known for it's Seven Hills.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    It's excusable, Zak. At your age, we were all 10' tall and bulletproof.

Nah, I'm only bullet resistant. If I have my vest on that is.

At my age and physical condition it is hard to imagine not being able to throw a pack on and knock out 20 miles at the start of a trip. I see the advantage of training in that case. It allows you to make decent mileage from the start, and prevents injury.

Now as far as training, I think lunges with a pack on would be a good idea. That would really work the climbing muscles, and strengthen the knees.

Go, Cyndie, go!! I'll be out there doing the neighborhood stroll with my pack on, as soon as I get up the gumption to ask for 6 months off this spring. If I can arrange a leave from my job this year, I'll be heading out march 1 from GA. I feel strongly that we have to make bold moves as far as training goes, and we need to resist the weird influence of collective opinion. Mame

Images

Now as far as training, I think lunges with a pack on would be a good idea. That would really work the climbing muscles, and strengthen the knees.
    Again, that's really good advice for 24 year olds and a very few 40-50 somethings.

But there are a lot of folks that, if they tried that straight off the couch, would be hunting you down.

Right after they get out of traction.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Again, that's really good advice for 24 year olds and a very few 40-50 somethings.

But there are a lot of folks that, if they tried that straight off the couch, would be hunting you down.

Right after they get out of traction.

Ok, then do then with a 5 lbs. pack. Work your way up. Start slow with maybe 10 lunges.

Your comment reminds me of a great prank I played on a couple of cocky jocks one day in gym back in high school. Set a deck of cards on the floor right between your legs. Squat down, pick up one card, and stand back up. Repeat until all cards are in your hand. Then squat and put one card on the floor and stand up. Again, repeat until all cards are on the floor. After they were done they got all cocky again telling me it was nothnig and I was a wimp for thinking that would hurt. I agreed they were real men and I walked away in mock shame. The next day both of them were out sick.

It's all about the intensity of the exercise. If you can only do one lunge with a 5 pound pack, then do it. Pretty soon you can do two, then three, then a dozen. Make it part of your daily stretch/exercise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++