WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Volume: ULA Catalyst vs. P-1

I currently have a ULA P-1, which is too small for a winter load. I'm looking at a Catalyst, which is listed as having 4600 ci. However, an outfitter told me that a Catalyst small size, which I would wear, would have less volume than a regular Catalyst (medium).

Thus, my question is whether a Catalyst small has more volume than a P-1, and if so, how much more. If the difference is only marginal, I'll make do with the P-1. ULA's website does not have technical info on the P-1 anymore so I don't have the volume for it. Nor does the site say how much smaller in volume a size small Catalyst is than a medium. Anyone have the specs?

The Catalyst is a small pack. The listed volume includes the outside pockets, not just the main one. I think it would be too small for solo winter camping. It's small for three season camping if you're carrying food for a week or more.

Default Volume: ULA Catalyst vs. P-1

I have a P-1 circa 2003. The ULA volume specs on it are:

Volume: 4,025 (66 litres)
    3020 (Body)
    575 (Ext. Collar) / 430 (side pockets)

More info can be found at:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200302230...ks/P-1/p-1.htm

FIY:

I received the Catalyst yesterday, and it definitely is wider than the P-1. So even though it is a size small Catalyst, it looks to have more capacity than the P-1. Whether it will be sufficient for a winter load, I'll just have to see.

The outfitter who sold me the Catalyst suggested a Gregory for winter hiking, but they are at least two or three pounds heavier (5, 6 or 7 pounds for the same capacity) and I really don't want to go back to a heavy pack.

I just picked up a Go-Lite Jam2. At 3000ci it is my intention to use it year round including winter. I wouldn't mind more volume though. More volume doesn't always mean more weight. It can mean stuff like keeping you bag loose, or a large blue foam pad, which actually weight less for the same warmth, but are rather bulky inside the pack, and rather awkward outside. But I think I can make 3000ci work for me, even with the pad on the inside, which also makes the pack stronger. Just the same I also picked up a 1200ci Patagonia pack that weighs something like 10oz. It's not their light travel tote, but its similar. My intention is to remove a bunch of straps and convert it into a front pack, for winter, or when I need extra volume when hiking with my daughter, who likes a tent. Its light and is just about the right size, and has two water bottle holders. Not sure how to convert it yet, but it is otherwise an awkward pack so there won't be any remorse.

Images

I'm thinking my Catalyst will be too much pack for summer! It seems huge to me for its weight. I'm able to pack for 6 days with winter hammock gear; no problem. I'm sure I could get another day or two worth of food in there if I had need.

++ New Posts ++