WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    There is a gas station about 3 miles down RT 76 if you turn right toward Blue Ridge. A CHevron Staton I believe. It was an easy hitch because of the female I was with. It would probably have been a long walk just by myself.
    Hey Hokey Pokey! I was with Youngblood when we reached US 76, so I didn't get any ride and had to walk the whole way. If he were only prettier..
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Here is what I know about maps and why I brought it up:

From Springer to about 11.5 miles up the BMT you can use AT map #1.

From that point at 11.5 there is no map company that makes a trail topo map for the BMT for the next section until about mile 56.3 I think. That is an issue that the BMTA is working on. They make a set you get with your membership but the quality sucks (IMO) and it is out of date. I fixed this with a file I created: http://hikinghq.net/user_projects/missing_ga2.pdf
    It ain't perfect - but it is better than anything else. You can print it on 3 pages of 8.5 x 11 paper for the maps - and another page for the profiles if you print them all front to back. If you are going to hike the section you are planning to go on, most likely you will want this too. I actually made this set so you don't have to carry that Springer AT map for a measly little 11 mile section - so this set will get you from Springer to Big Flat Mountain.

Then from that point until you get to the end of the section you are talking you will want Trails Illustrated map #781.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 10-15-2007 at 19:00.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Just before the trail crosses Rt 76 at Cherry Log (south of Blue Ride) there's a long streach of vacant rd with woods on one side and a field on the other. My buddies stached some food there. Some critter did get into their food but you shouldn't have a problem with the camo box.

There is a gas station about 3 miles down RT 76 if you turn right toward Blue Ridge. A CHevron Staton I believe. It was an easy hitch because of the female I was with. It would probably have been a long walk just by myself.

05 we spotted a car one year at Thunder Rock Campground without any problem. Last year I left my car there for another week without any problem. That would be the place to leave it if you're going that far.
    Hey Hikerhead - I was planning to recon Thunder Rock for just this issue. Do you have any reccomendations about where to park or what to do about your car there? I figure if the weather stays good I can be there in about a week and I may walk north from there if the weather is still nice when I get there instead of leaving the trail at that point for an R&R zero.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Hey Hokey Pokey! I was with Youngblood when we reached US 76, so I didn't get any ride and had to walk the whole way. If he were only prettier..
    I know what you mean. # 1 hitch hiking rule...do it with a chic.

We took 5 steps down the road and hear tires screeching behind us trying to stop.

On the way back a guy was going the other way and turned around to pick us up.

It was the beauty of the Bluebearee.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Hey Hikerhead - I was planning to recon Thunder Rock for just this issue. Do you have any reccomendations about where to park or what to do about your car there? I figure if the weather stays good I can be there in about a week and I may walk north from there if the weather is still nice when I get there instead of leaving the trail at that point for an R&R zero.
    You drive right behind the power station and at the parking lot go to the right which puts you right back beside the power station. I never been there at night but I imagine it's lit up pretty good from the PS. That part of the parking lot is out of the main stream of traffic and with the power station workers looking right down on your car, it's about as safe a place to park as you'll going to get. It was good to see you and the family at Gathering.

Images

You drive right behind the power station and at the parking lot go to the right which puts you right back beside the power station. I never been there at night but I imagine it's lit up pretty good from the PS. That part of the parking lot is out of the main stream of traffic and with the power station workers looking right down on your car, it's about as safe a place to park as you'll going to get. It was good to see you and the family at Gathering.
    Good to see you too. And thanks for the parking tip. I plan to use that information and it saves me a driving trip.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

When Youngblood & I hiked the first 93 miles of the BMT, he left his truck at Thunder Rock for 6 days without incident. It's a Forest Service campground, and gets lots of visitation from paddlers, hikers, mountain bikers, and the like. Of course, something could always happen, but that's the case everywhere. Si

Images

Next question about that location. Did you look for any pay phones or try your cell phone for reception at that point?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Next question about that location. Did you look for any pay phones or try your cell phone for reception at that point?
    Cell phone reception is sketchy in the gorge. You might get a signal atop Big Frog. The Whitewater Center about 2 miles from the campground has a payphone.

Images

Cell phone reception is sketchy in the gorge. You might get a signal atop Big Frog. The Whitewater Center about 2 miles from the campground has a payphone.
    That is good information. I am thinking this is also a good check in point for the wife. So I can get to the car, resupply, and if I decide to walk on I can call home and let her know I am still walking. Another option we have talked is to get to the car - jump up to Deals Gap and walk south to this point and then call for a lift home. That information helps me to know that these are valid options.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

When Youngblood & I hiked the first 93 miles of the BMT, he left his truck at Thunder Rock for 6 days without incident. It's a Forest Service campground, and gets lots of visitation from paddlers, hikers, mountain bikers, and the like. Of course, something could always happen, but that's the case everywhere. Si
    I was just thrilled that I got thru Big Frog without getting lost. With all the trail signs chewed away by the bears, I followed the little wooden diamonds someone had placed on the trees and sign post. I wonder if they're still there? The 5 dollar map set from the BMT came in handy in here.

tideblazer
    Images

Hey great story thanks for the heads up rock.

Hey, by the way..... have you ever been to the Green Parrot in Key West?

I got a coaster from there for you. Their blog might help help explain why.

http://greenparrotbar.blogspot.com/
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Howdy Wookie, I was hoping to see you at the Gathering.

I haven't been there, but a couple of people have pointed that out to me. Sounds like my kind of place.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

That is good information. I am thinking this is also a good check in point for the wife. So I can get to the car, resupply, and if I decide to walk on I can call home and let her know I am still walking. Another option we have talked is to get to the car - jump up to Deals Gap and walk south to this point and then call for a lift home. That information helps me to know that these are valid options.
    Ducktown is about 5 miles east on US 64. Full resupply there. Mind you, I'm not sure if the pay phone at the Whitewater Center is inside or out. The place has odd hours. Suggest you Google it and call them for specifics.

Images

Ducktown is about 5 miles east on US 64. Full resupply there. Mind you, I'm not sure if the pay phone at the Whitewater Center is inside or out. The place has odd hours. Suggest you Google it and call them for specifics.
    Their phone number and web site is in my guide
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

First hand knowledge. The Chevron n 76 had Gatoraid, Ice Cream, Hot Dogs, Nabs and a pay phone. They need a Burger King at that location.

Images

Great info everyone. Helps me to put the plan together.

Sounds like Thunderhead may be a good take-out point and it may be a good idea to tie the ammo box full of resupply to a tree, for those animals that like to take things away for later
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

From that point at 11.5 there is no map company that makes a trail topo map for the BMT for the next section until about mile 56.3 I think. That is an issue that the BMTA is working on. They make a set you get with your membership but the quality sucks (IMO) and it is out of date. I fixed this with a file I created: http://hikinghq.net/user_projects/missing_ga2.pdf
    It ain't perfect - but it is better than anything else. You can print it on 3 pages of 8.5 x 11 paper for the maps - and another page for the profiles if you print them all front to back. If you are going to hike the section you are planning to go on, most likely you will want this too. I actually made this set so you don't have to carry that Springer AT map for a measly little 11 mile section - so this set will get you from Springer to Big Flat Mountain.

Then from that point until you get to the end of the section you are talking you will want Trails Illustrated map #781.
    These are the maps I was talking about. Great job Rock! I'll print these out and at least bag them. maybe even put some of that paper sealer on them to make them more permanent.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    These are the maps I was talking about. Great job Rock! I'll print these out...
    I just tried and found out I was out of colored ink!

Excellent map Rock. I noticed one water source not marked. One of the toughest climb in this secton is Wallalah Mtn. A 1/4 mile or so after crossing the top and walking downhill heading north there's a small campsite on the right hand side of the trail. Look closely and you may see a blue blaze on a tree. Follow that downhill about 100 yards and you'll come to a spring. The blaze was very very faint when we went through. On your map I would say it feeds the creek that's on the right hand side. If you didn't fill up at that Dixie Store you'll going to be thirsty when you get here. A maintainer on the trail clued us in on this or else we would have walked right by it.

Also, after you cross Shallow Ford Bridge, I remember about 5 miles of road walking to the trail head for the water fall.

Our first campsite was at Bryson Gap if I remember right. There's a nice spring there too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++