WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need a trail to hike!

I need a trail to hike in Minnesota or Wisconsin- ideally a circular one that is safe to hike alone on. Starting a week from tomorrow. Any ideas?

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Check out the Ice Age trail, it is in Wisconson.

Kirby

The Superior Hiking Trail isn't circular, but it has a good shuttle system (http://superiorhikingshuttle.com/). The water situation is good on the SHT now, since all of the unseasonable rain we've been having. Kirby is right, the Ice Age Trail is neat too. You could try a section of the North Country Trail, but I don't have experience with backpacking that one so I couldn't tell you a good section.

The only circular backpacking trail I can think of is the Powwow Trail in the BWCAW. 4ish days, 29 miles. But it is kind of remote and people have gotten lost while trying to hike it, so you might want a partner with that.

Or you could try a state park. Many have nice backpacking campsites.

There are some trails listed here (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_trails/index.html). Try looking under "Trails list" and "Other Long Distance Trails in MN."

I hope that you find something fun to do!

Images

I wouldn't go for the IAT if I were you. It's just sections, broken up by huge swathes of roadwalking. Plus it is very, very hard to access info about it without buying the guidebooks, which I assume you don't have time to do. Maybe check out the North Country Trail? I think that's a little more established, although I also don't know if there are any circular hikes you can do. My brother and his wife have hiked the Nicolet State Forest trails and those seem to work out well for them... good luck and post back on your findings if you can?

Jane in CT

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Go up to the boundary waters canoe area. very beautiful and much solitude.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++