WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    I stayed at Hawk Mountain one night last month. There are some good campsites on that trail. Maybe it's an overflow area, or maybe it was worn from all the Ranger activity that is reported in the area.

Did you take the trail on up the mountain to the church and cemetery?
    no we didn't, but its on my list next time in the area. never realized it was there...

In 2003 I believe, Kerosene, Bluefish, Raven and I were hiking all of GA and stopped by there. Bluefish went off on that trail mentioneded for water and was gone for about an hour. He said it just kept on going. Since then I've read where the Rangers come up from the bottom on that trail.

And if the church and cemetery that was mentioned is the one at Hickory Flats, the church has been long gone.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

The Rangers use that trail past the privy, and the privy itself. Had to wait in line behind about 40 of them one day. They all didn't use it, but kinda was expecting a little more privacy. They were lined up on that same trail taking a break, and waiting to link up with another unit.

yep, i think a small sign a few yards after the privy,"this is not the water trail" would go a long way.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Sunrise from the privy!!!

Images

Default Shelter get a lot of road traffic?

I am considering hiking into Hawk mtn shelter from Hightower Gap to watch the Lenoid Showers from the nearby clearing.

Question is: Does this shelter get a lot of quasi car campers due to its proximity to a road crossing? If it will likely be busy I may just suck it up and head up to the Art Loeb trail and look at camping near Black Balasm bald.

Anyone interested in heading up either way let me know.

-J
    "I think we broke his brain."

Images

Art Loeb definitely!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hperry View Post
    just a warning here, but if you walk up to the shelter hastily, look for the water sign, it appears as if the water trail is the trail to the privy. the water trail actually begins back behind the shelter and is not the trail immediately to the left of the water sign (which points left)

a friend and i hiked a mile down this abandoned trail past the privy til we decided to turn around.
    This is still a problem; a couple of local guys made the long walk you described looking for water on election day eve November 2008.
    Mortician

Images

Stayed here 7-11-2010. Water was good, shelter clean. Few mice. Overall good experience.

I stayed there Sunday, May 21, 1972. I had the shelter to myself. Didn't see another hiker that day.

My granddaughter (14) and I camped near the shelter 7-15-10. Cooked & ate at the picnic table. Only one other person there that night. Shelter was very clean, water flowing through PVC pipe. Racoon nosed around the tents during the night & an owl gave a shout very close by before dawn. We hiked from AFSP base of the falls to Woody Gap Thurs & Fri.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the previously mentioned church and cemetery still exist? I did see a post that someone thought it was gone. Just wondering, thought it might be a neat side trip if it is still there!

Images

still there, about .2 north of the trail
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleelynn View Post
    Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the previously mentioned church and cemetery still exist? I did see a post that someone thought it was gone. Just wondering, thought it might be a neat side trip if it is still there!
    There is the cemetary, a very large picnic shelter and a cinder block privy but no church.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

There is sometimes an old timer that is at the cemetary. His family is from that area back when there were homesteads there. He has some nice stories to tell about being there as a kid.

Also there are still people that come to the shed for church services. Kind of a home coming.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    There is the cemetary, a very large picnic shelter and a cinder block privy but no church.
    The guide book mentions only the foundation of the church remains..I passed through this area last year, but didnt stop.
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++