WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Exclamation Davenport Gap to Hot Springs

Anybody been on the section from Davenport Gap over Max Patch to Hot Springs recently? Would really appreciate a quick run down on how the springs and creeks are running.

Thanks.

I just got back from hiking that section. Water is very scarce, but if you don't mind pumping and filtering out of puddles, it can be done. We hiked from Hot Springs to Davenport, found very little water at Deer Park Shelter, relied on a trail angel who left water at Garenflo Gap, had fair water at Walnut Mountain Shelter, and little puddles all the way to about 3 miles from Davenport where we found adequate water.

Ran into a couple of guys at Standing Bear Farm Hostel who shuttled to Max Patch and slacked back to Standing Bear carrying enough water for the day, stayed at Standing Bear , and then shuttled back to Max Patch and slacked to Hot Springs where their car was. They got around the water shortage that way.

I drove back from Hot Springs today (to Atlanta) and had rain a good bit of the way, and rain was forcast for Hot Springs tonight so maybe there might be better water now.

Good luck

Images

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Default How many days?

How long would you all say it would take to get from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs? We've got three days, but my buddy and I are concerned about slogging the 36 miles and having to carry a bunch of water.

One idea we had was to take a shorter trail from Waterville up to the AT going north. There's a couple, and it looks like they're pretty steep but could save us 8 miles or so.

Joel

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its been a little over a month since I been there, but Roaring Fork Creek below Max Patch should be running.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Section by Section
    Images

I will be through there early next week. I am sectioning from Lemon Gap to I-40.

Communications with Curtis at Standing bear have indicated that the it's dryer than a popcorn fart between Lemon Gap and I-40.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Burgess View Post
    How long would you all say it would take to get from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs? We've got three days, but my buddy and I are concerned about slogging the 36 miles and having to carry a bunch of water.

One idea we had was to take a shorter trail from Waterville up to the AT going north. There's a couple, and it looks like they're pretty steep but could save us 8 miles or so.

Joel
    We did that section last winter with 6-8 inches of snow on Max Patch. It took us three days, but we did Hot Springs to Davenport. Great section...

++ New Posts ++