WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Trail Head Sign - what should be there?

I'm re-building a partially destroyed sign at my trail head this weekend. I am planning to put some information on it, but haven't finalized the plan. I now what I think needs to be on one and was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or ideas. Don't get too far out there because I am going out to do it this Saturday and only have about a 3'x3' area to work with.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

1. What road is it if there's not a road sign within sight.
    2. Which way is north on the trail and which way is south.
    3. Which way is which town on the road. This is rare but very useful.
    4. Distance to the next whatevers (shelter, trail, water, road) as normal.
    5. Any special information regarding that section - no camping, don't drink the water because of cows, no open fires, etc.
    6. If it's an area on the state line, it is nice to know what state you're in. That's not necessary, just for fun.
    7. The name of the park, forest, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I'm re-building a partially destroyed sign at my trail head this weekend. I am planning to put some information on it, but haven't finalized the plan. I now what I think needs to be on one and was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or ideas. Don't get too far out there because I am going out to do it this Saturday and only have about a 3'x3' area to work with.
    Write-

TRAIL SIGN.

-On the front and all the useful info on the back just for Darwinian grins.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

By sign, I assume you mean just a true sign and not a trailhead kiosk. A 3'x3' is actually a pretty big area, so you may mean more than just a sign post. In any case, if it is to be just a sign, then I suggest keeping it simple: trail name, elevation, and jurisdiction at the point of the trailhead (NPS, FS, state park, etc.).
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    1. What road is it if there's not a road sign within sight.
    2. Which way is north on the trail and which way is south.
    3. Which way is which town on the road. This is rare but very useful.
    I am planning on putting a map of the area trails and road with a "YOU ARE HERE" thing. There is a store 1.7 miles away, a gift shop .5 miles away (with snacks and such) and a reesturaunt that is further up the trail but at the next road crossing RIGHT ON THE TRAIL. So would putting these on that map be something that is usefull?
    4. Distance to the next whatevers (shelter, trail, water, road) as normal.
    The only thing I can think of is the Lower Slickrock falls - I can put a dot on the map for that
    5. Any special information regarding that section - no camping, don't drink the water because of cows, no open fires, etc.
    Like Leave no trace - we had to take about 100 pounds of trash over the last year from this secion
    6. If it's an area on the state line, it is nice to know what state you're in. That's not necessary, just for fun.
    7. The name of the park, forest, etc.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Write-

TRAIL SIGN.

-On the front and all the useful info on the back just for Darwinian grins.
    Ninety percent of the hikers will never think to read the back of the sign. Perheps this would be a good hiker intelligence test!
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LostInSpace View Post
    By sign, I assume you mean just a true sign and not a trailhead kiosk. A 3'x3' is actually a pretty big area, so you may mean more than just a sign post. In any case, if it is to be just a sign, then I suggest keeping it simple: trail name, elevation, and jurisdiction at the point of the trailhead (NPS, FS, state park, etc.).
    Naw - it is a kiosk and not a regular old sign.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LostInSpace View Post
    Ninety percent of the hikers will never think to read the back of the sign. Perheps this would be a good hiker intelligence test!
    It fairly screams for a motion-activated game tracking video-cam and a link on WB.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Are we talking about the AT? If so, it might be cool, if you have room, how far to Katahdin and Springer.

If not, you should put the next water source, when I read signs it is nice to know when I will come across my next source, I always have my maps, but it is nice to see it on a sign.

Kirby

Sgt. Rock, the info you suggest would be useful to some people. If you assume that the experience of the people reading the sign is pretty diverse, then having the kind of info you suggest would be helpful to widest possible audience.

Images

No- it is the BMT, and you are standing next to a lake when you read it.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Kirby, signs on the A.T. are not always accurate. Especially signs in Pennsylvania that give information about water. Some are just wrong and sometimes the trail has changed since it was made. Sometimes I think they purposefully reduce the numbers for the distance a shelter is off the trail so people will visit it.

How about:

"Act Responsibly";
    "Leave No Trace"; and, of course:
    "NO SNIVELING"

Images

No- it is the BMT, and you are standing next to a lake when you read it.
    That will do it for you.

Appalachian Tater: Kirby, signs on the A.T. are not always accurate. Especially signs in Pennsylvania that give information about water. Some are just wrong and sometimes the trail has changed since it was made. Sometimes I think they purposefully reduce the numbers for the distance a shelter is off the trail so people will visit it.

Yeah, I know, they still give me hope, the ones in the "wilderness" seemed to be off a few times.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    How about:

"Act Responsibly";
    "Leave No Trace"; and, of course:
    "NO SNIVELING"
    hikers have no clue what those words mean

I am planning on putting a map of the area trails and road with a "YOU ARE HERE" thing. There is a store 1.7 miles away, a gift shop .5 miles away (with snacks and such) and a reesturaunt that is further up the trail but at the next road crossing RIGHT ON THE TRAIL. So would putting these on that map be something that is usefull?
    The only thing I can think of is the Lower Slickrock falls - I can put a dot on the map for that
    Like Leave no trace - we had to take about 100 pounds of trash over the last year from this secion

Yes, all of those are good ideas. Really, you can't give too much information as long as it is presented in an easy-to-understand way.

I met some guys this summer that missed some ice cream because there is no sign at that crossing! They got really pissed when I told them.

Images

I have a no sniveling sticker and a WhiteBlaze one too that I could add
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock
    Seems like' Leave No Trace/Pack It In, Pack It Out' should be the primary emphasis.
    Skids

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Kirby, signs on the A.T. are not always accurate. Especially signs in Pennsylvania that give information about water. Some are just wrong and sometimes the trail has changed since it was made. Sometimes I think they purposefully reduce the numbers for the distance a shelter is off the trail so people will visit it.
    Now THAT'S just downright funny.

Images

You should add the WhiteBlaze one, free press and it is a hiker resource that many people may find useful.

Kirby

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++