WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Shelters To Avoid In The Off Season

I thought that this would be a good subject having just experienced this. Some shelters are party hangouts and jamborees on weekends and should be avoided by campers.

The Ed Garvey shelter had 2 young adult groups (approx 12 people) & 1 girl scout troop IN IT with 3 boy scout troops tenting around it. Needless to say I camped across the trail and far away from them (illegal in Maryland). So much smoke and the endless screaming.
    Hey, I was a scout many decades ago but in this enlightened age, don't they teach responsibility and respect to others and to nature.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Default Weekends

I'd say that almost every shelter has the potential for crowds by the weekend hikers. Not just Scouts and youth groups, but also the party crowd. Friday and Saturday nights are the peak nights. And, around Labor Day, you get all the college crowd.

Historically, Scouts have a bad reputation among thru-hikers. Just how "bad" scout groups are depends on their leaders. Locally, Leave No Trace has been pushed with Scouts. And, in fact, I have some very good stories about meeting Scout groups on the trail during my thru-hike.

Like everywhere else, carry a tent so you camp elsewhere if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    Historically, Scouts have a bad reputation among thru-hikers.
    I always thought it was just the opposite. Scouts almost always carry too much high class food. I always talk to them to see if they are close to getting off the Trail. If it's the next day or the day after I stay with them and you get enough to skip at least the next town stop. You hit enough Scout Troops you never have to leave the trail. In addition, all the bears, mice and dogs go after them. Scouts are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    The Ed Garvey shelter had 2 young adult groups (approx 12 people) & 1 girl scout troop IN IT with 3 boy scout troops tenting around it. Needless to say I camped across the trail and far away from them (illegal in Maryland). So much smoke and the endless screaming.
    I was hiking out there a week ago. There were no scouts at the shelter. However the next morning we probably passed 30+ people before we made it to Gathland. The following day we saw 85 people (we counted this time) within the 1.6 miles between Pine Knob Shelter and Annapolis Rocks. Most were scout troops. All had decided to camp at A. Rocks due to the eclipse.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile AT shelters, Scouts

Hi, on the topic of shelters to avoid, I guess any shelter that you can get to from a road and is less than a couple of miles can become invaded by others. Fortunately we don't have a AT cop to keep things in order. If others are at a shelter and you don't agree with what's going on, move on.
    As far as scouts are conserned I met a group of Boy Scouts from New Port News, VA in the Shenandoahs. It was a pleashure to spend the night with the group at the shelter. They were well behaved and polite. When I arrived, with another hiker, they were ready to leave the shelter to us. It was a trail experience that I will always remember.
    Grampie-N->2001
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fowler
    Hi, on the topic of shelters to avoid, I guess any shelter that you can get to from a road and is less than a couple of miles can become invaded by others. Fortunately we don't have a AT cop to keep things in order. If others are at a shelter and you don't agree with what's going on, move on.
    Excellent wisdom. Any shelter that's easy for you to get to is ALSO easy for everyone else to get to.

Scout group behavior is a reflection/extention of the groups leader(s).

Rhetorical question: How many folks who complain about poor experiences with Scouts have ever done anything to help the situation? If you're knowledgeable about the outdoors and backpacking, why not offer to do a talk/demo to a local Troop or Venture Crew? Or contact your local Council or District offices -- they're always short of qualified people to assist in outdoor leader training sessions; you could work the the leaders and help train them if you didn't want to deal with the kids.

Why not do something to help the boys learn proper outdoor behavior instead of leaving it to the far-too-few qualified people while all your do is complain?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I agree with Deeddawg, scout group behavior is highly influenced by the group leaders. I'm pretty observant of these group situations (I was/am an Eagle Scout) and a knowledgeable, conscientious, involved scout leader who takes kids out with regularity tends to have a much better behaved troop. That's not to say that the kids won't be kids and make a mistake or get a little loud at times, but they won't destroy the campsite either.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I too was an Eagle (class of 77) with bronze and a silver palm...however a few years ago I sent my Eagle back as I disagree with some policys held by the Boy Scouts now,,,the are highly influenced by thier leaders..such as oliver north that the local council here had speak to scouts ...along with other policy decisions that have been made.....
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fowler
    . Fortunately we don't have a AT cop to keep things in order.
    Grampie-N->2001
    Actually we do have AT cops- National Park Service Rangers, Maryland State Park Rangers, etc. all gun toting,
    If we could only get them to actually patrol the trail once in a while.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

++ New Posts ++