WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Planned daily mileage in GA next year?

What will your average daily mileage be in GA next year? Or atleast, what do you think it will be?

I'm anticipating 9-10 miles per day.
    Zeke

Why worry about it? In a hurry? Got an appointment?

Images

I expect about 12-14 miles per day average. But that is me.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Start at about 8 mpd, finish GA at about 12 mpd.

YMMV.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Why worry about it? In a hurry? Got an appointment?
    It's possible they have a short time frame to complete their hike.

MOST people in the beginning stay at shelters, so the mileage is dependent upon the distance between the shelters they select to stay at.

Images

If I make it 8 mpd, I'll be happy.

It's possible they have a short time frame to complete their hike.
    If that's the case, they need to be in good shape and have donetheir homework (for example, practice hikes) in advance. Why would the OP care what other hikers were planning or expecting?

MOST people in the beginning stay at shelters
    As I recall, out of the start gate at Springer or Amicalola, there are lots of nice camping opportunities. I must have been abnormal -- I did more camping than "sheltering" in GA.

I'm just saying... one sure way to make a hike "not fun" is to be constantly comparing your daily mileage with other hikers. It's been said before: hike your own hike.

Springer to Atkins, VA

I think it will be driven by water availability or how much added water weight you are willing to carry...that is if this drought continues

Images

duplicate post.
    Last edited by briarpatch; 10-15-2007 at 18:09.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Images

I generally tell people to expect Georgia to take 7-10 days, with 8 being about average. It takes 3-4 days of hiking to reach Neels Gap, and another 3-4 days to get to Bly Gap. Experienced hikers will be near the lower number, folks who don't have a lot of mountain hiking experience but train for their hike will be about at the average, and people who decide "I'm gonna go hike the AT" will be at the higher end. Most hikers will take a zero or nero at Neels Gap or in Hiawassee, so that has to be figured into daily averages. Hiking the Approach Trail adds a day, too.
    Last edited by briarpatch; 10-15-2007 at 10:31.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I generally tell people to expect Georgia to take 7-10 days, with 8 being about average. It takes 3-4 days of hiking to reach Neels Gap, and another 3-4 days to get to Bly Gap. Experienced hikers will be near the lower number, folks who don't have a lot of mountain hiking experience but train for their hike will be about at the average, and people who decide "I'm gonna go hike the AT" will be at the higher end. Most hikers will take a zero or nero at Neels Gap or in Hiawassee, so that has to be figured into daily averages. Hiking the Approach Trail adds a day, too.
    I think Roo and I took 11 days to finish Georgia, to include the Approach Trail. We had a 3.7 on the day we got to Neels Gap. That was at her pace, with lots of breaks. When I went by myself from Bly Gap to NOC I did between 10-16 per day. We met one guy coming south who was doing 26 mile days. He was very light and moving out!

From what I've read, people seem to get into trouble going too fast too soon. I've never read about someone's hike being "ruined" by starting out GA too slow.

My plan would be for shorter days than my excitement wants. Short days allow for body to slowly adjust. Too many times I have read about folks taking off like a bat out of hell, only to have to hole up in a hotel to nurse over-use injuries.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    From what I've read, people seem to get into trouble going too fast too soon. I've never read about someone's hike being "ruined" by starting out GA too slow.

My plan would be for shorter days than my excitement wants. Short days allow for body to slowly adjust. Too many times I have read about folks taking off like a bat out of hell, only to have to hole up in a hotel to nurse over-use injuries.
    Exactly. Let your body tell you what mileage you can do. For planning, make a general itinerary for what you think you want to do based on past hikes - then use that itinerary to start your first campfire on day 1.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Exactly. Let your body tell you what mileage you can do. For planning, make a general itinerary for what you think you want to do based on past hikes - then use that itinerary to start your first campfire on day 1.
    Yeah, itineraries are pretty worthless. I'd never hiked with a 50 lb pack before, so I kinda sorta planned on stopping at Hawk Mtn the first night. Got there at lunch time so I kept going and ended up at Gooch Gap. So my itinerary was fuel for the fire in 4 hours.

ive made about 18 miles a day with considerable weight (30 lbs or more). all depends on your ability and fitness.

Default Don't underestimate your bumbling abilities.

Due to various circumstances(Involving me forgeting things), we had to boil all of our water on a camfire for three days. With having to make a fire every morning and night and boil water over it repeatedly. Still, we made 10+ miles each day with our truncated hiking times without too much difficulty. Still, even if you don't share my genius. Plan for delays.

Endurance atheletes take and record their pulse every morning while still lying in bed after they awaken. If their resting pulse is 8-10 beats higher than the preceding days, they will cut back on that day's training, or take a day off. This might be of use, especially to old guys like me.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Endurance atheletes take and record their pulse every morning while still lying in bed after they awaken. If their resting pulse is 8-10 beats higher than the preceding days, they will cut back on that day's training, or take a day off. This might be of use, especially to old guys like me.
    Excellent point! I will keep this gem in mind, being a baby-boomer myself.

I plan on taking a zero or two very early in the thru anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++