WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    and a bit of help from some kind soul would be my guess.
    That doesn't seem to be the intention.

http://www.blindhiker.com/

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    It's obvious that some of you are dubious, which doesn't shock me anymore in this place; however, this guy just might surprise you all. Even you Minnesotasmith, who should be the last person posting on this. This guy has a chance, and if any of you have ever talked with Bill Irwin, or heard his lectures, you would know that this guy has a chance. He may not be able to see; however, I can assure you that his other senses or quite keen!

Just Jim

Bill Irwin had help. Some of it was pre-planned, some of it happened spontaneously.

Mike Hanson says he will do this "solo and unsupported." That's the part I find hard to believe. To really stand a chance, he's going to need some help, especially the spontaneous kind. (Hell, almost all of us do.) And if hikers or others are nearby when he needs help, he'll almost certainly get it. It's when he's all alone and needs that help that I see a problem.

Agree with Sly. He'd be better off depending upon a well-trained seeing eye dog, who he's done lots of practice hikes with, than GPS. Those things can lead a person with 20/20 vision astray.

I'm sure if he perseveres, his will be one of the most talked-about stories of the Class of '08. Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    That doesn't seem to be the intention.

http://www.blindhiker.com/
    From all it doesn't say, it is difficult to interpet. Common sense would dictate he'd do the same thing as anyone else who got turned around, ask for help or wait till someone to offer it. How many hikers forgo utter indepedence and give in an hitch, get a B&B, ask for directions, etc?

Mainly, I want to see the guy make it against the odds. Kind of like a big *** you to all the crybabies and drama-queens, who think their circumstance(s) are impossible to overcome when they have no disablities.

Just how accurate are the GPS maps of the AT? With all the reroutes, cartographer errors, etc., I think it will be lacking for his needs.

One advantage he has is that he can hike as long into a day as he wishes. He will not be bound by daylight. He will only be bound by his energy level. He can also hike at night during hot weather without giving up efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Bill Irwin had help.
    The next person who successfully thru-hikes the AT without help, will be the FIRST PERSON to thru-hike the AT without help.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Mainly, I want to see the guy make it against the odds.
    Agreed. Obviously this dude thinks he can.

Images

What about the iron stairs. Or floating log walks that sink when you step on them. Or log bridges. Certain blowdowns will cause a hell of a ruckus with his day too.
    Does the GPS pick up on an angry moose? Or rattle snake? Tell him how deep and fast a ford is?
    Not to mention relos, and traffic at road crossings.

While I admire his heart, his judgment is questionable. He should reconsider, using a dog, a partner or both. GPS is not accurate, or reliable enough.

You think the guy has never crossed a road before?

If a blind climber could climb Everest, this guy can do what he is seeking. I imagine reception will be an issue under the canopy however. I'm behind him 110%.

I am seeking to interview this fellow, and if successful, will share that interview here. For those who think that lacking sight causes limitations, consider this. I emailed him this morning trying to setup an appointment to chat. He is available after today. He's out deer hunting today.

PS: No snide comments please.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    He's out deer hunting today.

Yeah, I'm out chasing some white-tail myself. (I'm not snide, just moronic.)

That will be the easiest part.

He doesn't use a dog. A dog would be no more helpful to him than an airplane would be to me unless he spent a good deal of time learning to work with one.

I am seeking to interview this fellow, and if successful, will share that interview here. For those who think that lacking sight causes limitations, consider this. I emailed him this morning trying to setup an appointment to chat. He is available after today. He's out deer hunting today.
    I did not see is the linked article whether he was totally blind or legally blind. I have friends that are legally blind that can easily navigate a crowded restaurant, golf (gotta help em find the ball and aim), bowl, etc. I would suspect they could manage to find their way down most hiking trails as well. But if he is totally blind the level of difficulty is off the scale.

I think he's totally blind as the photograph on his website shows him with his eyes closed. Maybe he navigates by clicking?

Images

No. He has probably crossed many roads. But I still question his judgement. I don't give a damn if he gets flattened while crossing a road, however I feel sorry for the guy who hits him. He will probbably get sued, and pay the deductible to get his car fixed, or the motorist who crashes trying to avoid him.

If a blind climber could climb Everest...
    That guy had help

As mentioned the blind everest climber had a full entourage of support.

Oh, and come on MOWGLI. You're killing me. You drop a blind person deer hunting on us and no snide comments. Uh, er, ummm . . . dang it, dang it dang it.

I do hope the absolute best for him, and I understand the heightened senses for those who are missing one or more, but could those heightened senses make up the difference in situations that those of us who enjoy all of them still run into trouble?
    I'm thinking, and based on the comedy of watching others on the trail I,m not alone here, that we trip, misstep and fall plenty along the way. It seems the outcome of these falls could be greatly exacerbated by not being able to see where you are falling.
    How many of our slips on the trail find us wide-eyed during and uttering a life changing 'phew' when we come to a stop and realize we're OK. How many of the simple ones would have been much worse if we couldn't see the landing.

And if his GPS is good to within a few feet, think of the places above the tree line where the rock ledges are severe when they drop away right next to our feet, the path. What about the rock faces where you have to get on your butt and slide down 15 or 20 feet? I don't think the GPS is going to help him out with that info.

Default Now this is going to be interesting to follow!

GPS - Gambling pedestrian silliness
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Hi i work on a lot GPs Unit i am a tech. most if not all can be anywhere from 50 feet to 200 feet off. I wish him luck but he better off taking a train seeing eye dog. GOOD LUCK

For the most part, a GPS is the last resort of hikers to find/follow the trail, and that's for people that can see. Sorry, this guy has no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I did not see is the linked article whether he was totally blind or legally blind. I have friends that are legally blind that can easily navigate a crowded restaurant, golf (gotta help em find the ball and aim), bowl, etc. I would suspect they could manage to find their way down most hiking trails as well. But if he is totally blind the level of difficulty is off the scale.
    Yeah, I have a friend that is legally blind that hiked the entire trail in sections and without a GPS.

Images

Maybe he has one of those double ought, super secret GPS units.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++