WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Synthetic VS Down

For years I have used Synthetic bags But I'm thinking about the weight savings of going down someting in the 20-0 degree range since I do most of my hiking in the colder months. What is everyone else using?
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

.. Down. ..

doobeedoo, down down...

campmor 20 degree downbag...

The consensus seems to be with down. It comes in different fills with the higher fills, like 800 or 850, being more expensive and warmer for the weight than the 600 or 650. There are several threads on the merits of different brands. Some things to consider are the size, whether it has a half or full zipper, and the accuracy of the temperature rating. Some of the "better" brands are Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Marmot, Nunatak, but there are dozens more.

Down all the way, unless you're worried about, or have a tendency to, get wet. If thats the case, learn how to stay dry, if that doesn't work, then stick with a synthetic.

My fave bag is my 30° Marmot Hydrogen. I just wish it had a full zipper instead of the ¾ zipper.

ChinMusic you could always trade it in for a WM Summerlite!

MontBell UL SS #2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Waterbuffalo View Post
    For years I have used Synthetic bags But I'm thinking about the weight savings of going down someting in the 20-0 degree range since I do most of my hiking in the colder months. What is everyone else using?
    I tell all of the parents of my scouts to stick with synthetic because they WILL get it wet. However, most adults (who are not rookies) have learned what it takes to keep their gear dry. If you fall in the later catagory, go for the down.
    Peace,
    Joe

Down: more comfortable, warmer for weight, smaller, I prefer down.

Get Down Tonite.

North Face Blue Kazoo 20 Deg Down Bag. Reasonably priced warm as all get out!!

Images

I use synthetic on the bottom (underquilt for hammock) and down on top. Life is all about balance.

There's no magic to keeping a down bag dry. All it takes is a kitchen size garbage bag used as a liner to the stuff sack.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Down: more comfortable, warmer for weight, smaller, I prefer down.

Get Down Tonite.
    Now that's a great idea for a company slogan! KC and the Sundown Bag!
    Down rocks. I've had both, you can't beat a down bag.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just because someone uses synthetic doesn't mean they are a dunce head and can't keep a down bag dry, guys. So lighten up on your posts, please.

I went with synthetic for peace of mind and glad I did. I was in situations in bad conditions in a sil nylon tent where it was literally raining on us inside and out. Glad for it when our bags were wet and we still stayed warm. And nothing stays dry for long hiking in heavy downpours in your backpack either (everyone had wet stuff in southern VA when we came through. We had some bad rain then.).

My synthetic summer bag weighed only one lb. My 25 degree bag for late in the hike weighed in at 1 lb 13 oz. I am looking forward to a lightweight synthetic winter bag though. Hard to find one.

Synthetic for the AT which has much wetter climate (usually). Down for out west.
    Last edited by Blissful; 10-16-2007 at 16:24.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Just because someone uses synthetic doesn't mean they are a dunce head and can't keep a down bag dry, guys. So lighten up on your posts, please.
    I was reading Ray Jardine's quilt pages last night. He's a big fan of synthetic. Apparently had bad luck with his down quilts.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

NOTE: My opinion does not imply that someone else's opinion is wrong or that they are dumb for holding an opinion different than mine.

The last time I used a snythetic bag was in 1996.

Since then, I've used the same down bag on the various hikes I've done, both East and out West. After my hike last year, I finally replaced my down bag. Not bad, 9 yrs of very heavy use. I have NEVER had a problem with a wet down bag (that includes a very wet El Nino year on the AT).

I find down to be warmer, more resilient and longer lasting. Down tends to be lighter for the weight.

As others have suggested, lining a stuff sack with a garbage bag does wonders.

Just my .02.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

800-850 down

My Marmot down bag is practically waterproof. I have tested it in the shower and the water just rolls off. Fabric treatments have advanced significantly since Mr. Jardine started hiking.

Images

OKay Now I'm gonna throw a wrench into this. I'm a big guy 240# 6ft. Right now I'm using a TNF 20deg Big Fella which is a little big but I like the extra room. I am Leaning towards Down because I keep my gear dry and 12 years ago when I started I was afraid of getting stuff wet so I went with Synthetic.
    Who Makes a down bag with a little room?
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++