WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

ok so this is my view. I use synthetic because it can get wet and with that in mind is my fool proof self drying device. I was at the Ga AT Plumorchard gap shelter in freezing rain after being drenched, about 1/1/07. I dried off in my sleeping bag soaking wet and frozen, it went like this. Warm up wet in the bag- open zipper air out steam, close repeat until dry. Can a down bag do that? I use an REI 15 degree zypher that is about 2lbs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdaddy View Post
    Can a down bag do that?
    Dunno. In 30 yrs of hiking I'd never thought to warm up in that particular manner.

Images

so a down bag can not do that? I've never had one.

Images

It's my understanding that a down bag that is truly wet (not just damp) needs to be dried out in a dryer, with tennis balls or sneakers added to the load to break up the down clumps. That's an advantage that synthetic bags have over down - you can dry a synthetic bag in the field if you have to.

I wouldn't want to use my body heat to dry out any frozen, wet sleeping bag, synthetic or down, but the scientific principles of heat transfer are the same. The main difference with a down bag is that it clumps and you would have to break up the clumps by hand.

I'm not so sure that a wet synthetic bag does a particularly good job of keeping you warm. The moral is always keep your sleeping bag in a waterproof stuffsack and line or cover your pack and try to keep the contents dry. With a garbage bag liner, your stuff should stay dry even if it falls in water.

I have seen someone dry a wet down bag in the sun and it worked but it took a while and some effort.

Addition:
    Sorry, you were drying yourself out, not the bag. Yes, you can do that in a down bag. I know because you can even sleep with wet clothes in your bag and they dry off overnight, and I've done this. The bag is fairly waterproof and the water is vaporized and goes into the air rather than being absorbed by the bag. (Well, some is probably absorbed but I never noticed any).

I too always changed into dry clothes before getting in my bag but I was sometimes still very moist.

The only time I had impending hypothermia I got in that abandoned bus west of the trail and changed from my wet clothes and made hot soup but didn't get into my bag.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 10-17-2007 at 20:28.

Maybe they can, I just wouldn't know...

I treat my down bags with the respect they deserve. (I own four, the oldest of which is 35+ years old now.) I wouldn't get into a down bag while I was wet, or while wearing wet clothes.

I've employed numerous methods to fend off impending hypothermia, but none like the one you described at Plumorchard gap.

I just bought a $80 Kelty Lightyear 25* synthetic from Campmor. I slept outside last night and it got down to 30* and was fine. I'm taking it camping next weekend. I don't want to goto down yet because of the wetness thing though...

Images

The wetness thing is overblown. I have used both down and synthetic for years and I choose down anytime I can.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

lol my bag dried me out in a pinch nothing strange about that, it worked with me wet and dried me out very well. I take great care to keep my bag dry until I need it.

When in the cold and wet you do what you have to to get warm and dry. I trust my bag to dry me out and warm me up. I seem to end up in not so ideal weather hmm I seem to do that to myself.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    It's my understanding that a down bag that is truly wet (not just damp) needs to be dried out in a dryer, with tennis balls or sneakers added to the load to break up the down clumps. That's an advantage that synthetic bags have over down - you can dry a synthetic bag in the field if you have to.
    You can dry down in the field also.( that is the reason some manufactures make one side black)... and for any bag in a front loading dryer on low , tennis balls and sneakers are not needed and just add extra stress on the bag/quilt.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

http://www.backpacking.net/gear-revi...ng-bag-review/

This should tell you something about the different down bags and their respective coatings. I'm a little disappointed that feathered friends wasn't mentioned, but I made my decision somewhat based on this article and what others have said.

Feathered Friends mainly uses commerical fabrics, eVent and Epic, so there are no real secrets about what they're made out of or how well they will work. Their only proprietary fabric is "Flite", 30/40 denier nylon with DWR.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post

This should tell you something about the different down bags and their respective coatings. I'm a little disappointed that feathered friends wasn't mentioned, but I made my decision somewhat based on this article and what others have said.
    And in the end that is what it boils down to. If you decide you can't keep a bag dry you may decide to go synthetic, or if you decide you can keep in dry then you can go down.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    And in the end that is what it boils down to. If you decide you can't keep a bag dry you may decide to go synthetic, or if you decide you can keep in dry then you can go down.
    I was under the impression that FF Flite and Western Mountaineerings Extreamlite fabrics were both really Pertex Quantam. I could be wrong though

Images

Default good synthetic/cheap down

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    I`d chose a good synthetic bag over a cheap down bag any day

how does that work? most down bags are not cheap thats for sure..lol

peace, nitewalker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post

peace, nitewalker
    lol no joke!

Basic hiking principles will keep a down bag dry on anything short of a calamity. Learn how and where to set up a tent and use multiple dry bags for your pack and bag.

My new love is a FF down bag that water basically does not penetrate. I suppose I wouldn't want to swim in it, but it is FAR superior to the down bags I was using just a few years ago. The thing just doesn't allow casual moisture to penetrate to the down.

And down is, imho, far more sumptuous and luxurious to wrap into on those occasions where you really really want to crawl into your bag. Seriously - get a quality bag and you will thank yourself every evening that you hike.

Synthetic is cool for a summer bag when it's basically bug bite prevention. For warmth and comfort, down with the new fabrics as has already been noted is a comprehensibly more enjoyable choice.

Get an exped air mattress to boot and you might as well be checking into an upscale hotel.

Images

Default bag survey

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post

just got done reading the bag comparisons and they basically told us what we already know.. all bags leak and get wet.

i stayed out below bluff mtn last feb 28th it was about 17*. i had my ems mtn lite 0*down bag with sleeping pad and no bag cover at all. we were cowboy camping after a long days haul. well anyway i woke up somewhere during the evening sweating way too much. i spent the next hour or two opening and closing it so that the sweat would evaporate away from the bag. ok yea it was 17* but in my mind i was really not in any danger of getting cold even with this wet down bag. well i ended up just fine and continued hiking for another four days or so....peace out, nitewalker

down is the way to go. always put the bag inside a true plastic type outer trash bag or similar...

Quote Originally Posted by rumbler View Post
    Get an exped air mattress to boot and you might as well be checking into an upscale hotel.
    Does it come with a shower and a plush terrycloth towel and those little bars of fragrant soap? Sign me up!!

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post

peace, nitewalker
    I think he meant go big or stay home. Meaning stick with synthetic unless you go to say 700 down or better. There is something to be said for that, though I wouldn't throw a 650 down bag out of my shelter for eating crackers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++