WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

:banana One trash bag = pack cover + rain gear?

Is it crazy to think that I could use a heavy duty contractor trash bag with holes punched for head and arms as a rain poncho AND pack cover? It would certainly help save weight that could be better used for my Game Boy and three months worth of Maxim magazine.[LEFT]

In an emergency for a couple days but I bet ya get wet. Noise from the rustling will drive ya nuts while the rain drips down your back.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TronBlaster
    Is it crazy to think that I could use a heavy duty contractor trash bag with holes punched for head and arms as a rain poncho AND pack cover? [LEFT]
    On our August section hike in GA, it rained every day, most times twice a day. Two of us had pack covers, two of us had big black garbage bags. The garbage bags worked pretty well, considering the cost difference!

Rain Man

Images

For a pack cover, put the garbage bag inside your pack. It will get ripped up quickly if on the outside.

As for raingear, in cold windy conditions above treeline, your safety may depend on quality raingear that keeps you warm and dry. You can skimp in some places in some seasons, but never in the Whites.

If you are going to use a palstic bag for a pack cover you are better off putting it inside your pack. I would also recomende using a biohazard bag from the hospital. The big orange ones for putting sheets are very heavy duty. My wife used one on our thru hike and everything stayed dry and one bag lasted the entire trip. I believe most hospitals would give you one if you plead your case.
    Profile '00
    www.hikerhostel.com

Is it crazy to think that I could use a heavy duty contractor trash bag with holes punched for head and arms as a rain poncho AND pack cover? It would certainly help save weight that could be better used for my Game Boy and three months worth of Maxim magazine.[LEFT]
    If you want to use one item as both raingear and a pack cover go with a large army poncho. I have one that is more than large enough to cover myself and my pack at the same time. They last forever, and can double as a groundcloth/extra blanket/emergency shelter if you need. Its heavier than a trash bag but not by much.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WilTaran
    If you want to use one item as both raingear and a pack cover go with a large army poncho. I have one that is more than large enough to cover myself and my pack at the same time. They last forever, and can double as a groundcloth/extra blanket/emergency shelter if you need. Its heavier than a trash bag but not by much.
    I'm intrigued. Where should I get this extra large army poncho? Should I ask Bush or go to Sunny Surplus?

I'm intrigued. Where should I get this extra large army poncho? Should I ask Bush or go to Sunny Surplus?

An Army Surplus store should be easy enough to find. Joining the army at this point in our nations history may not be wise.

++ New Posts ++