WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default More advice, does this sound ok?

Ok I have it figured out,,,,(i think) .

Start Nov 1st @ newfoundland, hike to double springs gap 9.7 miles-that night stay at shelter-

nov2, hike 12.3 miles to spence field-stay at shelter-

nov3, hike 10.6 to birch springs gap-stay at shelter-

nov4 hike out 3.7 miles to fontana

Carry 2 gallons 16lbs of water

is that water amount sound ok. the 1-865-436-1297 # said so far all springs are dry except 2 along that part of the trail. I will be carring ONLY freeze dried foods.

Images

Sounds reasonable - and very doable. The water issue may be worse by the time you actually get up there. Also, the gap is Newfound rather than Newfoundland... As far as parking at Fontana...You can go artoss the dam and turn right and park at the end of the trail there and it will save you a mile or so rather than parking at the park parking area itself. But if you are only doing minimal miles that day, it won't be an issue. That last 3-4 miles is mainly decent anyway.

Just to let you know there is no shelter at Birch Spring Gap. They took it down several years ago.

Ok glad you told me that before I called and made reservations. goint to have to refigure now.

thanks fellas

Which of the 4 of those hikes is the flatest walking, that will be the one I will add the miles to (make my longest walking day).

I really need to stopping around the birch gap area, is there ANYTHING closer between mollies and fontana?

According to the official map, campsite 113 is about midway.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...trails2005.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Rat View Post
    I really need to stopping around the birch gap area, is there ANYTHING closer between mollies and fontana?
    The old shelter site is a campsite now.

Birch Spring Campsite #113 —100 yds. West down slope. It sits on the site of the old Birch Spring Gap Shelter and is rationed (12 Persons) so you have to have reservations for it just the same as the shelters (unless you are a thru-hiker starting and ending 50 miles away from the park borders).
    Former shelter site with water, bear cables, and tentpads. There are 6-8 leveled-off tent pads, with a short trail leading to each. The spring runs through the middle of the site. It is now Campsite #113, 5.6 miles north of Fontana.

Map of the Birch Spring Gap area.
    Last edited by veteran; 10-17-2007 at 13:06.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

Campsite 113 is the Birches Campsite - the old Birches shelter location.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I know you said you wanted to stick to the AT, but I would seriously consider this option given the current water situation:
    Newfound to Double Spring Gap Shelter. Apparently there is water at Double Spring.
    Next day just south of Double Spring take the Welch Ridge Trail for 2 miles then the Hazel Creek Trail. Campsite 82 is 8 miles further. There will be plenty of water on the Hazel Creek Trail and it's all downhill from the AT. The first mile of the HCT is STEEP down, then it's easy after that. That's 10 miles. If you can go another 3 miles to campsite 83 it's a lot nicer.
    Right after campsite 83 turn right on the Lakeshore Trail. From here it's about 13 miles to the dam with 2 campsites in between. I'd stay at the 1st one (#88) because #90 is heavily used.
    I have done portions of this and it's really a beautiful part of the park. Most of the time your along creeks so water isn't an issue. Bring a filter of course. 2 gallons of water is way too heavy. If you want solitude and tent camping I'd think about this option.
    Have fun!

NAW!!!!!! not too heavy. I hike with my ridgeline kelty pack 6 lbs, a 4 lb baby bag of stuff, plus 1 gallon-8 lbs of water, and my 21 lb 5 month old (a michelin tire baby ) . I am getting fat, but not that far yet.

Images

Which of the 4 of those hikes is the flatest walking, that will be the one I will add the miles to (make my longest walking day).
    The only section of the AT in the Smokies that I would call at all tough is the section between Derrick Knob and Spence Field, that goes up and over Thunderhead Mountain. That is considerably more difficult, and slower, than the rest of the Smokies section.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

MAN! you people are great, thank you all for your helpful info,,,I really do appreciate it.

removed post
    Last edited by Just a Hiker; 10-21-2007 at 19:53. Reason: removed

16 pounds of water..... I'd think 2wice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flush2wice View Post
    16 pounds of water..... I'd think 2wice.
    Considering the ATC is advising people to stay off the trail altogether in that section... I'd agree. T. Rat must really have the hiking bug, bad.

Also 2nd the idea of hiking lower trails (non-AT) where water is more likely to be found.

Sure, I will mail it to you (pay for it,,,come on,! after all the free advice I am getting here, it is the least I could do!)

Is it ok to get it? I mean some ranger isnt going to shoot me and drag me off the mountain in hadcuffs,,,,, that would sukc!!!!!!

Do you have a new one I could take up there and put in its place if it is full?
    ------------------------------
    whats wrong with 16 lbs of water,,,,,,not enough???

OK how about one and a half gallons? I dont want to run out, need some to rehydrate my freeze dried food also.

It will rain!!! It has too!!!

I'm doing the rain dance it has to work!

(my luck it will rain like hell the entire time I am there and stop at the end of my hike )murphy has tagged me I think!

It will rain!!! It has too!!!

I'm doing the rain dance it has to work!

(my luck it will rain like hell the entire time I am there and stop at the end of my hike )murphy has tagged me I think!
    This is a serious drought we are having here in East TN. I have to agree with Flush2wice, and say that you may want to reconsider and hike off the AT. Double Springs, Spence, and 113 are all bone dry. We are over 16 inches down, and not likely to make up much in the near future. The AT is great, but there are over 700 miles of other trails in the GSMNP where you would have more solitude and hopefully more h2o.

OK, well then I am looking for a 30-40 mile section of trail,,,with AWSOME VIEWS! not ok views but awsome,,,,something to get the blood pumping and make you sit down and just stare in awe!

Watcha got?

++ New Posts ++