WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Speaking of ****ters...the privy at Tray Mtn shelter has some counter gizmo you step on when using the Throne. It's supposted to be used in determining how many hikers it takes to fill 'er up. I had a double-helping of tortellini the night before and did my part in this highly scientific study.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Speaking of ****ters...the privy at Tray Mtn shelter has some counter gizmo you step on when using the Throne. It's supposted to be used in determining how many hikers it takes to fill 'er up. I had a double-helping of tortellini the night before and did my part in this highly scientific study.
    Well, you should have stepped on the gizmo twice then.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Default The crapper counter

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Well, you should have stepped on the gizmo twice then.
    Ah yes, the crapper counter. Its set to only record one "deposit" in a given time period (I think its 4 minutes?). Otherwise the typical scout troup that jumps on the matt 50 times would seriously skew the results.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Stopped by shelter for lunch yesterday. Clean and well taken care of. No trash. Tent site here have a gorgeous view! I plan on going back in a few weeks and camping there.

Swatted and killed a mouse that ran over my back while sleeping in this shelter last week. Agree with earlier posters that the tarps over the front are obnoxious.

Spent a night here last week. Tent instead of shelter. The bear-bag lines are not 10 yards from the shelter.......weird. Best part was the rock outcropping facing east in the morning. Great place to eat breakfast and warm up.

Tray Mtn. shelter 4/9/1990.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hiked up Tray Mountain two weeks ago for an overnight campout parking in Indian Grave Gap at the base of the mountain.

The hike from the parking lot was 3 miles, 2 1/2 to the top of the mountain and then 1/2 mile down the north side to the Tray Mountain Shelter.

The actual peak of the mountain is fairly small but with a very nice view. (Sorry no pics of view.)

Tray Top.jpg

Then an easy stroll down to the shelter area.

Tray Sign.jpg

There were many thru-hikers at the shelter with a nice water source to the right of the shelter down a trail. A platform, supposedly from an old Ranger station, is by the water source.

Tray Shelter.jpg

There is a cliff right by the shelter to watch the sunset. One of the best shelter spots in Georgia. However, a few people were throwing up the next day. Rumor has it that the Norovirus is present at this shelter so be careful. I camped in a hammock and luckily stayed away from the shelter.

Tray View.jpg

I did cook my dinner on the side of the shelter area. This mouse somehow got inside my Doritos bag that I was careful to keep upright. No idea how he got in. He sat right next to me the whole time I cooked my dinner not scared at all. He must be used to getting fed from the hikers. Once I wouldn't give him my food, he went back up the wall to his house.

Mouse.jpg

A great time in the woods.

Carl
    Last edited by cneill13; 03-28-2016 at 21:58.

Me and a buddy were there about a week and a half ago and really enjoyed the area. The views were amazing the sunset, the night views and the sunrise. The tent camped and we were the only people in the area so we were able to spread out. The only thing we didn't like were the amount of Gnats and bees around, but eventually i started a fire and the smoke really helped keep the bugs at bay. The water source is good.

Was just there last week on my Springer to Bly Gap section hike. Nice enough shelter, lots of tent sites around it, close to AT, good water source about 0.2 miles down hill behind the shelter. I was joined by three other hikers and we all tented / hammocked about 30 yards in front of the shelter but used the shelter to hang and dry wet gear out of the rain.

Leonidas

IMG_0351.JPG
    Tray Mountain Shelter 7/12/2016
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Leonidas

Bah, that's Blue Mountain... Got my pics mixed up. Tray is the home of the legendary 6 foot rattlesnake. Found where he had shed his skin under a log we had been sitting on. Apparently I didn't take any pics of the 5 of us setup in the shelter. Just pics of the views.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    ALSO..... great views of the lights of towns in north Georgia at night.

This shelter isn't far from one of the forest service roads, so it's easy for locals and city folk to frequent the shelter and area.
    I agree. There is an additional clearing away from the shelter and near the ridge that I hung my hammock and had a beautiful view of the town lights below. If I recall there was also an additional fire pit there too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++