WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Keen Newport Trail shoes OK for Thru-hike?

I'm planning on attempting a thru-hike in '09, but I got a pair of these recently and love them. Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns about them?

So far, I Wear them every day and have done weekend hikes. At first I thought the sole was a little flat, but they have turned out to be pretty grippy.

I might get another pair now and time capsule them incase Keen stops making them before '09.

Link: http://www.zappos.com/gs/keen-newpor...al-boots.shtml
    "Measure Four Times, Cut Twice"

Images

Never used them, but it looks like they could work. Have you hiked in them yet?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Day hikes, max distance 15 miles. They have me a blister on the bottom of my big toe below the knuckle at first, but not anymore.

I don't think there is any cotton in them now that I look closer, only synthetics, so they would probably dry fast.

Anyone have any overwhelming negatives I should consider?
    "Measure Four Times, Cut Twice"

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default Keen

I have TEMPORARILY switched from a mid hiking shoe to a low. I have used the Keen Targhee II for a couple of months. Call it a test drive. It was a bit getting used to but there is A LOT of room in the toe box. The shoe that you have is very similar to the Targhees'. I also use the Green Superfeet. That's a personal choice as well.

The verdict is still out on whether I should go back to the tried and true though.

I think it's best feature is the sole pattern and the gripping ability. I have beat the crap out of these, and haven't really felt slipping, even in wet weather. I haven't tried them on ice or snow yet. We'll see.

SD

Images

i use the same shoes only in a boot. i LOVE my keens! i think they have awesome support and they grip very well! i have used them in snow and ice and they are wonderful! they also keep my feet very dry! i never even had to break them in! i LOVE them! keens are awesome!!!!

If you like them and are comfortable in them, that is what matters most. I wouldn't buy more than one pair of shoes though for a thru. My reasoning is after you wear out your first pair or spend a month in them day in and day out your feet will either like your shoes or hate them. Aside from that I saw a ton of Keens out on the trail this year. GL

GG

Images

Default Keens

I second that Chicote. Your feet will swell and sizes will vary for sure. Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by chicote View Post
    If you like them and are comfortable in them, that is what matters most. I wouldn't buy more than one pair of shoes though for a thru. My reasoning is after you wear out your first pair or spend a month in them day in and day out your feet will either like your shoes or hate them. Aside from that I saw a ton of Keens out on the trail this year. GL

GG

Images

Default Keen Update

Well, I spoke too soon.
    After 100-150 miles of hiking, the soles of the Keen Targhees have started to peel off. Took them back to Mountain Crossings and without question and a smile, Winton took them back and gave me a different shoe/boot, no additional charge. I am trying Montrail Comp XCR Mids.

I'll follow up after I beat the crap out of these!

SD

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    I have TEMPORARILY switched from a mid hiking shoe to a low. I have used the Keen Targhee II for a couple of months. Call it a test drive. It was a bit getting used to but there is A LOT of room in the toe box. The shoe that you have is very similar to the Targhees'. I also use the Green Superfeet. That's a personal choice as well.

The verdict is still out on whether I should go back to the tried and true though.

I think it's best feature is the sole pattern and the gripping ability. I have beat the crap out of these, and haven't really felt slipping, even in wet weather. I haven't tried them on ice or snow yet. We'll see.

SD

I agree...in another thread I praised the Targhee 2's and then immediately started having the pealing problem.

If you've only had a pair of defective Keen's for less than a year they will replace them as they have replaced mine. Took about 2 weeks. Sent them photos and a description of the problem. I now have a new pair of Newports and hopes that they'll do me a bit better.

I cannot say enough about how helpful the Customer Service team at Keen was.

Johnny

++ New Posts ++