WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here is an article from the BBC.
    It is on Public Policy, Climate Change, and the Cement Industry:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7046675.stm

Might be another interesting area to narrow your focus.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

The specific topic of my policy paper is "what should the governments role be in the regulation of carbon emissions". I made this thread general because Any link related to global climate change has information about CO2 emissions, but it also has information on other factors that promote global warming, and stats that support or negate CO2 emissions as an issue.

Thanks everyone,
    Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Not sure if this helps Kirb but JAKs post reminds me of a proposition put forth by a Biology professor I studied with in college. It has always stuck in my mind long after so much else I learned was consigned to oblivion.
    He suggested that for centuries humankind has considered itself a dichotomy with nature. He proposed quite quickly and logically that we are one and the same as nature and not separate (mostly based on the assumption that we are alone in nature as the one entity that harbors a 'soul').
    His point is easier to see when we consider everything that is 'man-made' is a part of nature, are the footprints we leave in our little biosphere not natural?
    This isn't scientific proof of anything but when developing thoughts for a study as you are doing for your paper, the inclusion of insights can be a useful tool toward making your point.
    Hope this helps.
    That could be a very interesting area for Kirby to investigate. In a sense, we are correct in thinking of ourselves as part of nature when it is useful to do so, but we are also correct in thinking of ourselves as apart from nature when it is useful to do so. But there is a catch. What we consider to be 'useful', and how we choose to use it, is a loaded issue, a political issue, a moral issue, and ultimately a theological issue if we are so inclined. For centuries we have claimed that man has been granted dominion over all the Earth. Now we deny accountability. But there is always a catch, and that is Catch 22.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," [Yossarian] observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Nice work JAK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    The specific topic of my policy paper is "what should the governments role be in the regulation of carbon emissions". I made this thread general because Any link related to global climate change has information about CO2 emissions, but it also has information on other factors that promote global warming, and stats that support or negate CO2 emissions as an issue.

Thanks everyone,
    Kirby
    Well, unless you begin with the premise that humankind has a role in the regulation of carbon emissions, then it might be difficult to make a case that government has a role. I would still start there however, with whether or not humankind has a role, and deal with that first, and deal with government later. Fundamentally there is a question of what impact we are having on our environment, and other humans, and what responsibilities we have if we are. This is pretty basic stuff, of biblical proportions, even superbiblical proportions, potentially involving the destruction of 1 billion people this century, through direct and indirect effects of climate change.

Genesis is often a good place to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

Genesis is often a good place to begin.
    Yeah, tho folks that assembled the bible seemed to think so too.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

This thread is being closed at thread starter's request.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++