WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Default why does trailjournals.com frequently not work?

It seems that you can not often get onto the site, particularly betqween 7 and 9pm a lot, I was reading a great journal, and I all of a sudden could not read the next entry. Why?

Kirby
    30-5-2???

Images

Most likely it is because they exceed their bandwidth capability during a peak usage period that is between 7 and 9.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

yea i noticed the same thing but if you keep trying sometimes it will let you back in.....

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

More likely it's more an issue of server capacity; the server is getting more requests than it can handle and can't answer all of them. Usually excessive bandwidth usage results in shutting off access to the server entirely for some period of time (usually until the website owner ponies up for more bandwidth from the hosting company), so you wouldn't just get back in.

Sounds like they need to upgrade to some bigger iron.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    It seems that you can not often get onto the site, particularly betqween 7 and 9pm a lot, I was reading a great journal, and I all of a sudden could not read the next entry. Why?

Kirby
    30-5-2???
    cuz reading folks journals are boring

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    More likely it's more an issue of server capacity; the server is getting more requests than it can handle and can't answer all of them. Usually excessive bandwidth usage results in shutting off access to the server entirely for some period of time (usually until the website owner ponies up for more bandwidth from the hosting company), so you wouldn't just get back in.

Sounds like they need to upgrade to some bigger iron.
    They are looking into changing servers or adding capacity. Right now they are pinched. They no longer allow new reader accounts because of performance issues with their current server.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    They no longer allow new reader accounts because of performance issues with their current server.
    What's that mean if you cleared your cookies you're out? Maybe that's why I'm getting a server error.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

They are looking into changing servers or adding capacity. Right now they are pinched. They no longer allow new reader accounts because of performance issues with their current server.
    Wow. At least they're aware of the issues and trying to deal with them. Hope they get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    What's that mean if you cleared your cookies you're out? Maybe that's why I'm getting a server error.
    Maybe, if you had an account you had to log into, that the cookie was doing for you. You'll have to find the username/password and log in again. If that's not the case, who knows.

Maybe, if you had an account you had to log into, that the cookie was doing for you. You'll have to find the username/password and log in again. If that's not the case, who knows.
    Can you get on? http://www.trailjournals.com

Images

I wonder what their bandwith needs are?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Today I can. Didn't see your post last night so I didn't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I wonder what their bandwith needs are?
    Dunno, but it wouldn't hurt to find out what (and who) they're currently using, and whether you can exceed that. I'd estimate, based on nothing whatsoever, that their traffic is roughly equivalent to Whiteblaze's own. Do you think you guys could comfortably host two Whiteblazes?

Yeah,today it's working for me too, but I did rolled back my computer to get a program back I deleted and added the trailjournals cookie back. So who knows.

Trailjournals.com sucks.

Postholer.com rocks.

p.s. The reason they are out of server space is that they do not allow hikers to delete their journals. Ever. Serve's em right that this has come back to bite em in the ass.

Images

Maybe someday they will have a system that recognizes "junk journals" and they get rid of them. I reckon they could also move some of the journals into an archive after so many years so it doesn't tax their database.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Overpass View Post
    Trailjournals.com sucks.

Postholer.com rocks.

p.s. The reason they are out of server space is that they do not allow hikers to delete their journals. Ever. Serve's em right that this has come back to bite em in the ass.
    Overpass, Have you ever asked Leif directly if you could delete your journal?

This is the first I've heard of not being able to delete, but Leif is a very unhostile, direct person and if you wanted your journal off, I'm sure you could work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Maybe someday they will have a system that recognizes "junk journals" and they get rid of them. I reckon they could also move some of the journals into an archive after so many years so it doesn't tax their database.
    My understanding is that could allow deletions if they wanted to, but they don't, in order to boast of the "biggest online trail journal site" on the internet. Yeah, the biggest, due to all the junk, abandoned journals on their servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Overpass, Have you ever asked Leif directly if you could delete your journal?

This is the first I've heard of not being able to delete, but Leif is a very unhostile, direct person and if you wanted your journal off, I'm sure you could work something out.
    Not me, but this guy (Post #35) in this thread:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...locked+journal

Got locked out of TJ for posting a complaint on their site about the problem. This, after apparently begging them over and over to delete his stuff.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Overpass View Post
    The reason they are out of server space is that they do not allow hikers to delete their journals. Ever. Serve's em right that this has come back to bite em in the ass.
    Bvll*****. I call thread drift. This has nothing to do with the problems we're talking about; you just wanna b!tch about what you don't like about TrailJournals.

If this was the problem, you'd see some different error messages. You'd get people complaining that they couldn't add an update to their journal, or upload a new picture, or create much of anything. But you wouldn't see people going "I can't load the next page on an existing journal" -- cause that symptom is caused by something else.

We're talking about symptoms that suggest they're experiencing an effective DOS. That's denial-of-service for the non-technical; it's what happens when there's so many people trying to use a website that the website can't answer all the requests. When you click the link to go to the journal's next page, and it never loads, that's a DOS. Nothing to do with what space is or isn't on the server, and nothing to do with not allowing people to delete their journals.

How do you fix a DOS? Well, you figure out where the bottleneck is, and then you add the resource you need (RAM, another CPU, more bandwidth, a faster server, whatever) until the server can handle your traffic.

How do you fix a site refusing to delete your stuff? Complain to the management, file a cease-and-desist letter, and stop using the site. Or you could b!tch about it uselessly here, I guess, which is all you're doing; but I'm reasonably sure that won't get you anywhere. If it's really worth it to you, go talk to your favorite copyright lawyer about sending them a cease-and-desist letter.

Bvll*****. I call thread drift. This has nothing to do with the problems we're talking about; you just wanna b!tch about what you don't like about TrailJournals.
    Imagine that. Discussing what people don't like about Trailjournals in a thread about what people don't like about Trailjournals... Worst cast of thread drift I've ever seen!

We're talking about symptoms that suggest they're experiencing an effective DOS. That's denial-of-service for the non-technical; it's what happens when there's so many people trying to use a website that the website can't answer all the requests.
    Yeah, cuz they're all overloading the site searching for the elusive "delete" button that ain't there.

Images

You can always go back and delete the entries. I recently looked for the TJ of someone whom I found particularly irritating, and all her entries and photos were gone. So it IS possible.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++