WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Default Chris E. & Sasquatch

Sorry was typing my post and when I looked back I see that it says that there is Chris E. and Sasquatch coming. Unless there is another Chris E. its all one in the same. Just for the purpose of head count.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I am a go for Launch. I got everything moved around that i need to and am set to head down. I will be coming from the North but williing to overshoot and give a lift from HF back up to PenMar as long as at the south end someone will run me back up to my outfit at PenMar. Doggiebag and I talked about this some so i think he has it worked out. I am ready for another good cold outing. Was out the week before Turkey day up at Bear Mountain and woke up the last day to 2" of fresh snow. I am game to start as early on the first day as you want too. Not the biggest fan of night hiking unless the trail is really well marked. Hey I still even have my mega expensive Wal-Mart Special "please don't shoot me vest"

Attachment 2690

Attachment 2691

Dont want to get shot while I sleep.
    You still hammocking this time of year? Great news you could make it.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Default Hanging like a deer carcass

Yep I am still hanging. I am just like a deer carcass wrapped in ripstop nylon. I was plenty toasty the last time I was out it was maybe the mid 20's or so. I use the air pad under me stuff my under hammock pockets to create dead air space and then the 0 dergee bag. It may be down right tropical.

Images

Tropical my ass! I would do the hammock thing ... but I need to make sure my dog isn't stiff when I wake up ... therefore the 4 season tent will make it's appearance ... but you've got more cold weather experience than I do. Tropical!
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Default Clarks NA

This is why I went with the Clarks and not the HH. With the extra pockets it is reported to be a 4 season hammock. Well I am trying to put that to the test. Who knows maybe you will want to go this route.

I forget did you ever use an underquilt with your HH?

Images

Who will be leaving a car at Harpers Ferry?

I know LastHonestFool and myself are going to meet there and leave one of our vehicles there.

At the end of the hike we (LasthonestFool, myself and Sparky) have worked out the ride issue for us.

If I remember right Doggiebag had the rides taken care of for the rest of you?
    If not, no biggie, we can work it out. Just let us know so everything goes smoth.

Images

Yeah ... I've got the whole 4 season rig with the HH. Don't get me wrong ... it's perfectly warm for me. It's just a concern for Aldo that I got the tent. But hammocking this late ... you got my respect.

regardless of who goes too HF with us....it shouldn't be a problem, since only one car will be parked there.....everyone else will be parked at PenMar
    Just wake up in the morning, stretch out, grab some coffee, and say to yourself, "Today is a good day to HIKE!" ~ Big Cranky

Images

I was just thinking if we have 6 or 7 people and 2 dogs - going to be cramped if we only have one transport vehicle

hahah, yeah I didn't think of that

hmmm

so DoggieBag, you said you had something worked out for transportation?
    Just wake up in the morning, stretch out, grab some coffee, and say to yourself, "Today is a good day to HIKE!" ~ Big Cranky

Images

Default Aldo!

Now don't get me wrong Aldo has my respect for life after all the miles he has walked. We had Border Collies when we lived out in WY and CO. they are built like todays supermodels compared to Aldo and they all but lived outside. They would curl up in the snow and just go to sleep until you called them. You would cry uncle way before Aldo even flinches.

If Aldo misses the hammock swinging in the breeze he can always come and visit with me for a while and get up off the ground.

Images

Chris E., Sean (SC) and myself are planning on shuttling up from Harpers Ferry (Rough plan) - So as far as I'm concerned you can chalk off 3 humans and 1 pooch from your logistical concerns. Eitherway Team DB is making it to the first campsite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Now don't get me wrong Aldo has my respect for life after all the miles he has walked. We had Border Collies when we lived out in WY and CO. they are built like todays supermodels compared to Aldo and they all but lived outside. They would curl up in the snow and just go to sleep until you called them. You would cry uncle way before Aldo even flinches.

If Aldo misses the hammock swinging in the breeze he can always come and visit with me for a while and get up off the ground.
    Aldo is not a cuddler. The last time I had him in a hammock with me ... it was hand to paw combat since I also had a candle lantern going (it was cold) the results were less than hilarious. The little focker can get mean. It's like taking a special needs kid who'se kinda dangerous camping.

well, that would solve all our logistical concerns then, it would seem:

Have it worked out:

- LastHonestFool
    -Wrongway
    -Sparky

Arranging their own transportation:

-Doggiebag, plus a pooch* no shuttle, meeting at the first campsite.
    -Sean from SC, plus a pooch
    -Sasquatch from NY (Tentative)
    -Chris E.

As long as Sasquatch and Chris E. are the same person then no worries!

Images

Default Helmet

Well that image of you and aldo just had me thinking of the fat that on my last hike i slipped a few times and twice my pack came up and slammed me in the back of the head. My kids said I should start hiking wearing a helmet. Now if I did that tell me who would look special needs.

Images

I just checked Sasquatch2014's trail journal. I'm pretty sure it's the same person. So ... I'm assuming that Chris E. and S2014 is the same person. I'm getting rusty.

Images

Dammn we haven't even started this expedition and we already lost one!

Images

Okay, here is the game plan:

Day one: Thursday Dec. 6th:
    - Meet at Harpers Ferry at 8am
    - Drop off 1 vehicle and head to starting point, hope to start hiking by 9 - 9:30am
    - - - - PenMar to Pogo Campsite: 14.2 --------

Day Two: Friday Dec. 7th:
    -------- Pogo to Crampton Gap: 15.8-----------

Day Three: Saturday Dec. 8th:
    ------- Crampton Gap to Harpers Ferry: 10.5 miles-----

Make sure you guys bring some bright lights, we will most likely end up night hiking the first day.

* Bring orange if you dont wat to get shot

Those who have said yes so far:
    - LastHonestFool
    -Wrongway
    -Sparky
    -Doggiebag, plus a pooch* Meeting the rest of group at the first campsite.
    -Sean from SC, plus a pooch* Meeting the rest of group at first campsite
    -Sasquatch (Chris E) from NY* Meeting the rest of group at first campsite

LastHonestFool/WrongWay/Sparky - Transportation figured out for this group

Doggiebag/Sean/Sasquatch - Transportation figured out for this group

Images

We're down to 6 humans and 2 dogs. Let the dead pool begin. Smart moneys on the canines.

Images

Default Pig Ears

I am going to bribe my way into good standing with Aldo and bring him a gift of Pigs ears. It will also have the added commical value of giving him gas for his night in the tent with you.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++