WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

^ lol@that

man, I can't wait to GET OUT! 8 more days
    Just wake up in the morning, stretch out, grab some coffee, and say to yourself, "Today is a good day to HIKE!" ~ Big Cranky

Images

Default Pig Ears

See there ... lesson one. You gave yourself away. Normally if I was feeling evil - I would have just given Aldo the pig ears and let nature take it's course while enjoying the festivities from afar. Now that I'm aware of your malicious intent (which is disguised as affection for my dog) ... it will give me enough incentive to sneak a couple of extra pounds of rocks into your backpack when you least expect it. Bwa hahaha! In all seriousness I'm not capable of such behavior. Or am I?
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Man, there is nothing worse then dog gas!!! Hudson can almost make a person puke! Of course he usually waits till I take him to Pet Smart before getting gas - Damn dog!

Was thinking of bringing him but he has never hiked this many miles or delt with the cold. Oh well, maybe when there is not so many other things to deal with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LastHonestFool View Post
    ^ lol@that

man, I can't wait to GET OUT! 8 more days
    40 miles in 3 days with full winter gear ... yeah I can't wait either. I haven't hiked in a month. I already feel sloth like. It's going to be interesting to say the least. It's going to be ... dare I say fun?
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

and your sorted better than I am currently...

I have no pack currently

well, I do...but a: it's 7 years old and is incredibly too short for me now
    and b: I have no doubt that it wouldn't even fit half my stuff now

I used it as a kid

:-P
    Just wake up in the morning, stretch out, grab some coffee, and say to yourself, "Today is a good day to HIKE!" ~ Big Cranky

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LastHonestFool View Post
    and your sorted better than I am currently...

I have no pack currently

well, I do...but a: it's 7 years old and is incredibly too short for me now
    and b: I have no doubt that it wouldn't even fit half my stuff now

I used it as a kid

:-P
    We'll get you fixed up with a rental at REI if need be ... that pack you ordered still backordered I'm assuming? What size pack do you wear?

Images

Default Winter Weight

I need to get out and put on some more miles. I am eating in such a manner as I am getting a good winter weight. Lets just say that with my current fat store I am pretty sure I can out last most of you and crawl out of my cave in the spring.

On my last short juant it felt good to get out of the long johns after the 3rd day that was for sure. Sitting by the fire didn't help the clean feel a bunch.Attachment 2692

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    We'll get you fixed up with a rental at REI if need be ... that pack you ordered still backordered I'm assuming? What size pack do you wear?
    I need a regular length nimbus ozone

I'm actually headed down to HF this weekend to pick one up from The Outfitter, so no worries

I cancelled my order that i had made offline thru travelcountry.com....they said it would be a couple of weeks (of which I didn't have...leaving in 8 days and all...)

so I'll get it sorted out, so it shouldn't be an issue

@sasquatch: what shelter is that with the fire place right in it?

Images

Default Porkers

I'm happy I've gained some extra pounds over the last month since my trek. It's the trail legs that I'll need to get back quick. I'm not freezing my butt off out there so I'm packing some extra weight in terms of clothing. I know it's Maryland and the terrain is very kind but I'll be honest with you ... it'll hurt some. Damn the dog just let out his full bouquet again!

I'm *hoping* I'll be warm when walking...

I'm not worried about in-camp or sleeping....just when walking

thinking my duofold medium weight base layer (gonna wear two of these, one on top the other....) and some zip off hiking pants will work for my bottom, and my top I'm nto worried about

Images

The shelter was Fingerboard Shelter in Harriman State Park NY it is just south of Bear Mt by about 14 miles. Most of the shelters in the park have the fireplaces. at least the ones on the AT portion. Some have been closed up but they were all constructed that way back in the late 20's early 30's and they are soild made from local rock.

hmmm

my brother lives up there in Manhattan....

that might be my next trip, he could shuttle me

Images

Default Harriman SP

I was hoping to get more miles but the first day was bigger than expected with the climbs and then the snow the last day. In good weather and good shape from the Bridge to Rt 17 is just about 19 miles. It can be a good 2 day trip if you want with a stop at the William Brien Shelter. Here are a few more pics one of the West Mt shelter as well.

Attachment 2697

Attachment 2698

Images

Not to pull you all away from your talkings but just wanted to let you know, I got ahold of Sparky, he is still in.

Images

We have to be finished the hike and back to the vehicles by 4pm Saturday. Otherwise the gates will be locked till 11 on Sunday.

With only 10 miles to do Saturday, this will be easy, leave camp by 7am and we will have plenty of time to get everyone back to their vehicles at Penn-Mar at a decent time.

Images

Default I hate time limits

Man i hate hard and fast time limits. Is this the only place to park up there? I just hate the idea of having that deadline. Do you know this area well? I have never been there so I have no idea.

Images

Personally I have no problem stretching this out till Sunday ... what about you Saskwatch? I can still drive you up to PenMar on Sunday instead of Saturday ... if needed. The first day's gonna be rough enough doing a 15 miler and setting up camp in the dark. But I'm up for anything you guys can dish out

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

If you guys are planning to stop at Pine Knob Shelter I was just up there and the spring is like a trickle..Hopefully it`ll rain a bit soon
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Images

The last day is only 10 miles, even at only 2 MPH, thats only 5 hours of hiking.
    I am usually up and gone from the camp site around 8.
    Even if we leave at 9am, that would be a arrival time at Harpers Ferry of 2pm.

We have plent of time to make it.

Images

Its Harpers Ferry lot that locks up at 4pm.

I dont think the Penn-Mar side is locked?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++