WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If anyone cares to read a short report and see pictures of the conditions from my trip to the Smokys this past Tuesday and Wednesday, you can visit my blog:

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=marosema

Default Deep snow

Quote Originally Posted by MicahDawgNC
    If anyone cares to read a short report and see pictures of the conditions from my trip to the Smokys this past Tuesday and Wednesday, you can visit my blog:

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=marosema

Thanks for this very interesting report. Glad you're back safely.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures of your trip! I'de like to disagree that your journaey was ill-fated however, you saw some great wildlife, learned some very valuable lessons and came away with your life and a terrific story of survival that very very few of your fellow Americans could begin to concieve of. Kudos to you!
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

You really did quite well, and learned a great deal. Congratulations on your trip. You learned why alcohol is a 3 season fuel. You learned how to extend the range of your sleeping bag. You learned about water management, including the boiling of water and putting the container in your sleeping bag. You learned that solo hiking into wintry conditions isn't a great idea. You saw some terrific wildlife, especially the turkeys.

BTW, there is a picture that is pasted to the bottom right hand corner of your blog page. It makes reading your blog almost impossible. It detracts from the page. But which mountain top is that?

Default Looks like snow on Springer, too

Well, I just went out with the binoculars and looked up toward Springer Mtn., it sure does look white up there!

Hey, Orange Bug, I'm thinking about a run up 42 later on today just for grins and to see how the road up is, wanna' go?

Hacksaw

3+ inches from Smokies to Damascus tomorrow, and i'll bet it'll be much higher at elevation.

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adc...ines.asp?iws=0

Journal Entries
    Images

Default snow in da mtns!

there was SNOW in the Blue Ridge Mtns portion (Roan mtn/Carvers Gap) area of the trail this past week....also SNOW is heading for East TN & NC this weekend (12/18,& 19)....

i live in middle TN...we're expecting snow showers...not much accumulation!
    DARN!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by hacksaw
    Well, I just went out with the binoculars and looked up toward Springer Mtn., it sure does look white up there!

Hey, Orange Bug, I'm thinking about a run up 42 later on today just for grins and to see how the road up is, wanna' go?

Hacksaw
    Sure would, but didn't log back on until 4PM. And I've got a dotter visiting. Rain check me on that one!

Nice story. You had a real adventure.

Alcohol stoves.... A litte trick I've heard about but haven't tried. About 30 minutes before lighting your stove, stove you alcohol in you shirt so that it will warm up the fuel. If you have a Trangia, fill it up and tuck it in.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

I plan to keep my fuel bottle inside my jacket as I hike( I may use one of those small plastic flasks, so anyone who sees me/it it's Denatured Alcohol, not the drinkin' type), as well as my platypus with the drinking tube run down my sleeve to prevent freezing.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

The problem with alcohol as a winter fuel is the amount of energy it can create. You have some concern with making sure that it vaporizes and burns, but that flame has to heat water to boiling from a much lower temperature, while competing with the heat sinks of surrounding air, contact with pot stand and contact with the ground. The strategy of keeping fuel warm may work with butane/propane canister fuels, but isn't likely to be of great help with alcohol.

BTW, I tried the sucking tube strategy with Platypus bladders in the Smokies during prolonged freezing conditions. Unless you carry the bladder under your jacket, both the bladder and the tube may freeze due to exposure to ambient freezing temperatures. Bring some sort of a wide mouth bottle as a back up, even an empty Gatorade bottle.

-14 right now on Mt. Mitchell. -3 on Purchase Knob in the Smokies.

Default Winter break

Our project to build a new shelter near Max Patch has been abandoned for the winter. Too much snow in the area.

Images

Default shelter near Max Patch

Hey Brushy sage, what group are you with? That sounds like a really neat project. I am guessing you will build it on the north side, right? How can others help out?

APPLE in Austin

Default Snow

Quote Originally Posted by manzana
    Hey Brushy sage, what group are you with? That sounds like a really neat project. I am guessing you will build it on the north side, right? How can others help out?

APPLE in Austin

Yes, a bit north of Max Patch Mtn, to replace the Roaring Fork shelter sometime next year. I'm just a lilttle cog in the gear train. Check out membership in the Carolilna Mountain Club: www.carolinamtnclub.com

Images

Default Melting snow

Most if not all of the snow in the southern Blue Ridge will be melting with the warmer temps. this week. There still might be a small amount later in the week at elevations above 5,000 feet. Elevations below this should be clear of snow by Thursday Dec. 23.

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    BTW, there is a picture that is pasted to the bottom right hand corner of your blog page. It makes reading your blog almost impossible. It detracts from the page. But which mountain top is that?
    Yes. I need to change the background picture. I just haven't bothered to.

It is a side-view of Table Rock in Burke County, NC on the Eastern rim of Linville Gorge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++