WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Low Gap Shelter

Former Admin

Default Low Gap Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Low Gap Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default Not a bad place...

The last 2 times I stayed there we shared the shelter with about 15 resident bats. Which I thought was neat. Unfortunately their guano which was like a mountain in the shelter was not so neat. I heard from others that the spot where they "hung out" was closed up and they moved on. Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

No bats in May. Water source is right in front of the shelter, which is a plus.

Smile

My two cents worth:
    The shelter is not very nice to stay in however there are a lot of good spots near by for tenting out.The water for this shelter in my opion should be treated,you will see what I mean when you get there.
    EZ-DOES-IT
    It's mind over matter
    If you don't mind it doesn't matter

Images

The place was a pig sty when I went by there last summer. I ennded up filling my trash bag and still left trash. There was toilet paper everywhere (buy it deep ya'll) and someone had left a lot of canned food in the shelter - probably found out the hard way the weight wasn't worth it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

There was a sack of trash hanging in the bear cables when I was there.

I sheltered at Low Gap last Saturday (March 1st). The shelter was is good shape (no trash) and water was flowing nicely. But I would suggest getting water from the source on the trail down to the shelter. There we 3 others at the shelter (2 thru-hikers and a section hiker) that night. The mice were very active, the chewed into the section hiker's bag. (He'd left some trash in one of his pockets.)

Images

My hiking partner and I sheltered at low gap a couple of nights ago and the shelter was in a shambles. We got to the shelter early and policed the area for trash and swept the shelter out. The fire ring was a mess - we spent some time rebuilding it and cleaning it out. No rodent incidents through the night and the water source is excellent.

Bret

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Low Gap shelter

Low Gap shelter was in decent shape in April 2002 when TeePee & I hiked thru this section....we stayed @ Low Gap with several others: ("Not Keith", "the Mad Musician" & a couple of late arrivals..sorry, didnt get their names)

a bear had visited the night before & we were all waiting for his return...but to no avail....but it was wet, soggy day the next morning....when we left.

overall...good experience there!

see YOU up the trail in 2004!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

This shelter was okay. Not too dirty. We spent the night there. Heard the mice in the upper bin but did not see any and had no problems with them. We saw our first bear about 3/4 of a mile north of this shelter the next morning as we were hiking north. A very small bear that ran up hill as soon as it saw us. No time to take a picture as the little one was so fast it was out of sight in just a matter of seconds.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Arrow ok

In Mid October, '04, this shelter was in relatively good shape; no trash & no mice. The water source however seems as if it would peter out under prolonged dry conditions. Also, there's no privy.

An odd occurrence @ this shelter was two golden finches that were inexplicably magnetized twds by Petzl Tikka headlamp. They kept flying right @ my head like insects. It being the 3rd cloudy, and hence moonelss nite in a row, I wonder if they were migratory birds that needed some guidance. Any ideas???

Images

Low gap shelter was very dirty this past march . We were there and their was so much toilet paper around the shelter that we decided to tent and it was even going to rain that night. The last straw was when we were signing the regester in the shelter someone had pooped about 30 foot away from the shelter and you could actually see it from inside the shelter.

In 2000 the shelter was closed due to bear activity, this was before bear cables in GA. There was yellow police tape surrounding the area.

Stopped in and lunched at this shelter Easter Sunday, April 16 and moved on. The shelter seemed relatively clean, but there was some minor trash and some toilet paper scattered around on the hill behind it. The water source was okay, but the flow was pretty low.

Images

I stayed here in August '05. No bear activity, although we had heard of some sightings. Good water. Thanks goodness for the broom. The bat guano situation was terrible. When we got there, it was all over the floor and in some spots it was 1/2 inch deep! Lots of mice, too.

If I were a snake, I'd live in an AT shelter!

Shelter was o.k. this March. I tented up the hill, and got my water from slightly uphill of the shelter. I walked way around the hill to make a cathole next to a tree, and must have tapped into a chipmunk hole.

Poor chipmunk!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

My four hiking partners and I stayed at Low Gap last week, on 6/22/06. Altogether, ten people were staying in or near the shelter that night. (I camped up the hill.) The area was clean, the water was good; the folks that stayed in the shelter reported hearing a few mice and one raccoon- or 'possum-sized visitor during the night.

Stayed a night last week. Not the greatest spot but it had a good water source.

Two other guys were spending the night and couldn't get there alchol stove to work, so I let them use my cannister so they could have a warm dinner. I will never be convinced to use an alchol stove.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Saw two bears in the area while passing through in Aug '06.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++