WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Handicapped Friend: Best view within 1/4 mile of a road?

I have a handicapped friend who was asking me about my hike last weekend. One of the questions she asked was this: what's the best view she could find within 1/4 miles of a road up in the mountains, where the walk isn't too challenging?

I'm not sure if there's any way to get the forest service to open up the service road to Overmountain for her, that would be one possibility. At 19E and Hughes Gap, the roads weren't where the views are, and at Carver's Gap she'd have to walk more than 1/4 mile.

This does not necessarily need to be on the AT for her, though she would also like to walk on 1/4 mile of the trail if she could.

Any suggestions?

Jonathan

It's probably closer to four tenths of a mile instead of a quarter mile, but I'd take your friend to Max Patch Mountain near Hot Springs, NC. If you visit the outfitter in town, they'll give you a free map to the mountain!

You could also drive quite easily to Wayah Bald near Franklin NC which also has a very nice view.

How about the Beauty Spot near Erwin Tn. Or the tower on top Clingmans Dome. Or on top of Catawba Mtn in Va on 311, hike south 1/4 mile for a pretty nice view. Or the Blue Ridge Parkway or SNP, lots of pull offs with views. Or Peaks Of Otter in va, she can ride the bus to the top and see ridgelines where the trail crosses.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Beauty Spot Bald north of Erwin has a parking lot that is right next to the top. If your friend can make it up a firetower there is a road that goes to the top of Rich Mountain just north of Hot Springs

Images

Also there are some good waterfalls in the tip of South Carolina and near Highlands, NC. Upper Whitewater, Eastatoee and Dry Falls come to mind, but there are waterfalls all over the place up there.

The AT has a new handicapped accessible section of trail in NE Tennessee. It's commonly called the Osborne Tract. Checkout the following link for more info;

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.co...es/047020.html
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Excellent, excellent information! Thanks, y'all, I'll be checking these out. And keep the ideas coming!

Jonathan

Another idea is the trail to Stone Door overlook near Monteagle, TN. The first quarter of a mile is paved to a deck with a great overlook. You could even hike on to the overlook and pose there for your other person that is handicapped to take a great pic of ya!

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

McAfee Knob isn't too far from a road. It's more than 1/4 mile though. I haven't looked recently, but if I recall there are some old woods roads / logging roads in that area that might be more accessible to a wheelchair or whatnot.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

A lot of great suggestions in this thread.

While it is a bit of drive the thread starter's location, I'd recommend driving along the portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway that AT follows in Virginia. Spectacular views and vista from the road and the ability to stop and walk down the AT at various crossings.

Another great drive for the handicapped person craving a wilderness experience is Rich Mountain Road from Cades Cove in the GSMNP. This is a gravel, one-way road that is like hiking in a car. It kept me sane when I was in a wheelchair for months in 2004. There are many places to pull off and walk out to points that overlook Cades Cove, West Miller Cove and forested valleys.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    McAfee Knob isn't too far from a road. It's more than 1/4 mile though. I haven't looked recently, but if I recall there are some old woods roads / logging roads in that area that might be more accessible to a wheelchair or whatnot.
    it's 3.7 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    it's 3.7 miles.
    And as I recall, the first mile or two from the gap to McAfee Knob were a lot tougher than I expected. [I'm thinking of the gap betw. Tinker Cliffs and McAfee.]

Brickley Gap? You can't drive up that. It's a private rd. Me and The Frig walked down it a year or two ago and I wouldn't want to do that again. Besides, it's still a long walk from there with a lot of ups and downs. There is a forest service rd that runs from 311 to the backside of Campbell Shelter? on the north side of McAfee but still a lot of climbing even if you got the go ahead from the FS, which I don't you would.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    And as I recall, the first mile or two from the gap to McAfee Knob were a lot tougher than I expected. [I'm thinking of the gap betw. Tinker Cliffs and McAfee.]
    Tinker Cliffs is N of McAfee, further from the road. (I'm thinking of the road in Catawba... maybe I should find my map...)
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    McAfee Knob is not accessible in any sense.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

With the trail lay-out at Carver's Gap, She could be pushed in the wheelchair almost to the top...one of my favorite spots on the AT.
    What about Albert Mt.?

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    With the trail lay-out at Carver's Gap, She could be pushed in the wheelchair almost to the top...one of my favorite spots on the AT.
    I'm trying to picture this - I assume that you mean the trail up Engine Bald, but I can't imagine pushing a wheelchair up that, at least not a conventional wheelchair. Or is there another place you're thinking of?

Jonathan

I'm pretty sure there was no wheelchair mentioned. but anyway I think the blue ridge parkway or skyline drive in the doahs would be the best. I recommend skyline cause the trail weaves in and out and there are many opportunities to stop and walk/wheel suitable sections of the trail

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.robie View Post
    I have a handicapped friend who was asking me about my hike last weekend. One of the questions she asked was this: what's the best view she could find within 1/4 miles of a road up in the mountains, where the walk isn't too challenging?

I'm not sure if there's any way to get the forest service to open up the service road to Overmountain for her, that would be one possibility. At 19E and Hughes Gap, the roads weren't where the views are, and at Carver's Gap she'd have to walk more than 1/4 mile.

This does not necessarily need to be on the AT for her, though she would also like to walk on 1/4 mile of the trail if she could.

Any suggestions?

Jonathan
    you can drive up Whitetop Mtn easily on the forest service road

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++