WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question More general questions.

While at this time, I cannot afford to switch to a Hammock, my son is thinking of going that way.

Yall, have answered most of our questions, & sorry if I ask old ones, but:

Can you sleep on: your side? your stomach?

Set up time: perfect weather & rain comming from the side.

Take down & put away time(s)?

Speaking of windy conditions: do they swing much? I have a little probllem w motion sickness

Where do you put your gear?

Where do you put your BOOTS??

Cooking?

And many other questions I can't think of because I have never used one so some help here.

Thanks in advance.

Doctari.

I just like this icon:

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    While at this time, I cannot afford to switch to a Hammock, my son is thinking of going that way.

Yall, have answered most of our questions, & sorry if I ask old ones, but:

Speaking of windy conditions: do they swing much? I have a little probllem w motion sickness

Cooking?

And many other questions I can't think of because I have never used one so some help here.

Thanks in advance.

Doctari.

I just like this icon:
    Hammock camping 101

Check out Sgt Rocks Hammock camping 101 in the intro right under the pics/descriptions of several diferent hammocks he talks about how you can sleep flat by laying off center etc. he covers alot of the things you are asking about ,anything he doesnt cover there Im sure folks here will help you with. Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

I just returned from a great hike in Arizona's Sycamore Canyon (seven mile round trip) It was my tenth overnight weekend hiking with my Hennessy and I feel like I've got this hammock hanging thing pretty figured out. As with most things unfamiliar there is a learning curve. I started out standing in the entry and slipping into my bag, bringing it up to my chest, then sitting at the center point of the slit lifting my feet into the hammock. Simple enough, but I made sure it was late, so no one would see my lack of grace at this entrance. I'm sure it looked as awkward as it felt.

Soon after the first few overnights, I took some advice from a post I read and began treating the mummy bag as a quilt with the zipper on the bottom. Now I stand at the entrance with one of those cheap 22"x74" blue closed call pads folded over at about 45" (to double the insulation on my lower back) I am 5'9", so you might have to adjust for taller upper body length. Holding the folded edge of the pad behind me, aligning it to center on the hammock - The bag is at my side - and move into the center as far as possible and sit down. Then lift my feet and move into the sweet spot that allows me to lie almost flat - feet to my right , upper body to the left. I reach over my head with two hands, grab a hand full of material and pull myself deeper into the hammock. You will move the pad with you some because of the weight of your body and the surface roughness of the pad. Now, I tuck my feet into the bag (zipper down) and zip it up between my legs as far as I can, then tuck the bag material up around my body and shoulders, laying directly on the pad. On colder nights I include a fleece inner liner bag. I have rolled into a side sleeping position but my flexibility precludes me from the stomach position.

The main problem with my previous technique of getting in the bag first was I would crush the material beneath me and diminish the insulation value, thus slept colder. This new method avoids crushing the bag since it is not directly under me. The doubled over pad provided excellent insulation. Since my legs weigh less than my butt they do not crush the bag material enough to be a problem. At this point I should say my bag is a 15 year old Coleman Peak 1 synthetic insulated zero degree bag that weighs about four pounds. Yah, I know it's heavy, but with a 2.5 lb. Hennessey I can afford the weight. I'm a lightweight backpacker not an ultra-light. ( I carry real food) With a four pound pack I'm right at 10 lb. core weight (before the rest of the junk)

I've had this sleeping combination down to 28 degrees with no, repeat no discomfort and being a thin blooded Arizona boy, I am usually very cold sensitive.

My conversion to hammock hanging has been confirmed over time by the fact that I sleep incredible sound with few wakeups to get the kinks out. This weekend my only disturbance was a weak bladder that woke me around 3:00am. I have learned to solve this problem by having an empty canteen handy. Holding the canteen I simply stand, evacuate the bladder toss the container on the ground and slip back onto my cocoon. This is probably more info that you wanted to know, but this system does make the night life very comfortable.

Picking the right pair of trees takes more time than set up. Take down is even simpler (no poles to fuss with).

The Hennessy rain fly had been a bone of contention for many. Since it doesn't rain much in Arizona, I'm hardly in a position to judge. I have carried a nylon light (12oz.) tarp as a sun screen which would be ample to keep out all but a hurricane. I did set up in a light rain once, but I just set up the sun screen/rainfly first then set up under it. It's big enough to keep everything dry.

After you get into the hammock it does swing for a short while, but much like a baby's crib, but this could be considered a big plus. On a long hard hike I'm usually asleep before it stops.

Gear storage is a negative. I've take to hangin' stuff on tree limbs. Boots can be hung over the ridge-line.

Well I hope you find this dissertation helpful, happy hangin'

Mike

Images

Thanks for the answers.

Sgt Rock, as usual, you ROCK! Great site on hammocks. I should have known, I'm already a frequent visitor, made my stove from plans there

Looks like I will be saving up for a hammock now.

TTFN

Doctari.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    While at this time, I cannot afford to switch to a Hammock

Speaking of windy conditions: do they swing much?

Cooking?

Doctari.
    1-Check out the hammock manufacturers sites for clearance items, ie: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/clrancesale.htm but spend the extra bucks and get the snake skins too.
    2- I pull the Hennessey tight & I always sleep on my side & stomach.
    3-setup time is under 10 mins with practise
    4-take-down is even quicker
    5-hammocks have side tie downs to allow you to rock or not rock if you wish. I string the rope thru my poles' hand loops for a straight out then down routing. I think that helps.
    6-sometimes I tie my pack to a tree - if it might rain I put it under the hammock
    7- if you worry about animals -put your boots on the ridge line outside or even inside if its raining. mostly I dont bother and put them right on the ground outside the opening.. I pull the laces tight to keep creatures out.
    8- your hammock becomes a chair to help in cooking, eating and lazying around.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    2- I pull the Hennessey tight & I always sleep on my side & stomach.
    You sleep on your STOMACH??? In a HAMMOCK??? Got a signed, notarized affidavit to prove that preposterous claim???

Really, you do that???????!!!!!!!!!

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Exclamation Yes On My Stomach

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    You sleep on your STOMACH??? In a HAMMOCK??? Got a signed, notarized affidavit to prove that preposterous claim???

Really, you do that???????!!!!!!!!!
    YES IT CAN BE DONE.

YOU LIE AT AN ANGLE FROM THE CENTER LINE TO GET THE FLATEST SPOT.
    IE: FEET TO THE LEFT OF CENTER, YOUR HEAD ON THE RIGHT OF CENTER.

BESIDES I SLEEP ON MY STOMACH AT HOME WITH 2 THICK PILLOWS UNDER MY HEAD.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

++ New Posts ++