WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Too late to plan a 08 NOBO?

Hey guys and girls,

I'm new to whiteblaze, I was told about this site a few days ago from a friend at work after I told her about my thoughts of thru-hiking. It seems like there is a ton of preparation that goes into it and I'm still trying to learn everything that is needed and I'm not even sure if I'd be to get things together by the time spring rolls around. Right now, my biggest concern is finding a partner to do the whole trail with. None of my friends are really that into backpacking or they have commitments with finishing up college. I'm kind of at a turning point in my life (as are most first time thru-hikers from what I've read), I'm taking a year off of school and I feel like if I don't do a thru-hike this spring then it might not be able to happen.

I'm kind of just looking for some encouragement that I'm not cutting things too close and perhaps some direction in regards to;
    1. Finding a partner to do thru-hike with me
    2. Designing a training regime to put me in the best shape for the trail
    3. Making a gear list
    4. Figuring out proper nutrition and mail drops or whatever system could work best.
    5. Tying up the loose ends

I'll try to check in here for replies and encourage any help via PMs as well.

Thanks for your time and help,
    Chris

Item #5 may be the most difficult. The short answer to your question is, No. There are plenty of resources, in book form and on the web to help you plan. In regards to item #1, don't worry about it. If you need or want a partner, you'll find one on the trail. It hardly ever happens in advance (unless the partner happens to be a spouse or relative or very close friend.)

Start at the ATC website and go from there.

Absolutely it's not too late. I didn't even make a final decision until sometime after Thanksgiving and then changed my mind a couple of times. Didn't start getting equiptment until after the new year started.

You don't need to find a partner, you'll find other hikers to hike with on the trail. Tons of people start during March and April. Read the articles on the left-hand side of the page here: http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content and also the guide here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Start with one of the sample gear lists you'll find so you don't have to start making one from scratch. Try to keep everything light.

You probably don't need mail drops or not many anyway.

Everything else you can learn by reading the various forums on this website and then asking questions.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bajabackpacker View Post
    Hey guys and girls,

I'm new to whiteblaze, I was told about this site a few days ago from a friend at work after I told her about my thoughts of thru-hiking. It seems like there is a ton of preparation that goes into it and I'm still trying to learn everything that is needed and I'm not even sure if I'd be to get things together by the time spring rolls around. Right now, my biggest concern is finding a partner to do the whole trail with. None of my friends are really that into backpacking or they have commitments with finishing up college. I'm kind of at a turning point in my life (as are most first time thru-hikers from what I've read), I'm taking a year off of school and I feel like if I don't do a thru-hike this spring then it might not be able to happen.

I'm kind of just looking for some encouragement that I'm not cutting things too close and perhaps some direction in regards to;
    1. Finding a partner to do thru-hike with me
    2. Designing a training regime to put me in the best shape for the trail
    3. Making a gear list
    4. Figuring out proper nutrition and mail drops or whatever system could work best.
    5. Tying up the loose ends

I'll try to check in here for replies and encourage any help via PMs as well.

Thanks for your time and help,
    Chris
    Here's some basics as a starter.

You have plenty of time. If you lack hiking experience I wouldn't start until at least late March, early April, when the weather is less critical. The spring flowers are spectacular in the south starting around April 15 and you will have six months before camping in Baxter Park ends..

Join ATC and get their tips for hikers guide. I think it's free. Read the "articles" section of White Blaze for beginners tips.

Don't worry about a companion. There will be scores of people on the trail and most people fall in with a congenial group, or a series of congenial groups.

For training walk, walk, walk, especially on rough wooded trails with a lot of ups and downs, and with a 40 pound pack.

Mail drops are not necessary.

Because of weight considerations, your basic meals will be dry stuff: oatmeal, rice, pasta .... all available at stores along the trail.

Buy the 2008 Companion, a thru-hiking guide. Buy the maps and guide books from ATC when they go on sale late next month. They will help you become familiar with the route north.

Do as many overnight and weekend hikes as possible as you assemble your gear.

Remember, backpacking isn't rocket science. There are dozens of alternative items of gear and ways to hike -- none of which is necessarily better than the others.

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 10-22-2007 at 23:42.

PS: when I said "No," I meant: No, it's NOT too late...

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Remember, backpacking isn't rocket science.
    It is if you have a jetboil! Otherwise it's just a long walk up and down mountains.

Thanks for the encouragement, all of these replies so early, I'm excited to be a part of this community.

I have plenty of backpacking experience. I made it to life rank as a Boy Scout, did a semester in Baja with NOLS where I did something like 150 miles in 25 days with a 60-100lb pack (depending on where we were at with rations and if we had a dry camp). I've even been out on the Applacian Trail as a backpacking instructor for a little bit before I got sick with giardia (I think I may have forgot to flush the threads on a Nalgene)

Right now, budget isn't really that much of a limit because I work at an outdoor gear store (similar to an REI or EMS) and can get a pretty good discount on things. However, before I get into gear I'll poke around the other forum catergories and look at gear lists a little more.

Thanks for the encouragement given so far, you guys are great

Don't carry 60 pounds, that's nuts, try to get your pack weight well below that, like half of that at least if not a quarter. Don't buy all that stuff you've been selling to your customers. No metal scout canteens or giant pocketknives or cast iron dutch ovens and such!

It's just a hiking trail that goes through resupply points every couple of days. You have the experience, so get your stuff together, show up and start walking, the details will work themselves out as you go.

BTW: 60 pounds is probably 2/3rds more base weight than you need for the AT. Even if you do decide to start out with 60lbs, you can always get rid of junk and replace stuff along the way.

Hah. I was actually looking to go somewhere around 40-50 (probably heavier unless I can find someone to split a few pieces of group gear). The store I work for is actually pretty high end so we don't even carry metal scout canteens, giant pocketknives or cast iron dutch ovens.

I was thinking of carrying stuff like;
    Buzz off Bandana
    Windstopper Hat with ear flaps
    some light stretch gloves
    capilene 2 1/4 zip crew
    capilene 3 long sleeve
    capilene 3 bottom
    standard wicking athletic shorts
    OR goretex gaiters (for trowel runs and light rain protection)
    3-4 pairs of bridgedale socks (not sure of weight)
    not sure of boots either, I prefer a mid or high boot but trail runners seem pretty popular and they say 1lb off your foot is like 5lbs off of your back and I wont be carrying a 60-100lb pack.
    1 pair of crocs for camp airout
    Then I get into non-clothing items;

whisperlite international w/fuel bottle
    msr titan cookset
    10 liter msr drom
    1 liter nalgene or stanley thermos (I hear nalgenes can make you impotent)
    leki poles (leki rep is coming into the store next week)
    msr miox water treatment and maybe a few iodine pills as backup
    leatherman wave (I know it's pretty big but I really enjoyed and used all of its features when I was backpacking in mexico)
    oh and last but not least... my beautiful MSR hubba hubba

then I have grop and 5 days food?

I plan on looking up the specs for everything and putting it into an excel spreadsheet to see my weight but I imagine I'm looking at about 45-50 lbs right there unless I find a partner to share some weight with.

If you want a leatherman get the little tiny one. The big one is too heavy. What did you use on it?
    Nalgenes are too heavy. Use Platypuses or Gatorade bottles. Thermoses are too heavy.
    You don't need a cookset, just a pot and lid.
    Food amount varies, read the re-supply article.

That sounds more like a 20 pound pack base weight if you're careful with your shelter (tarp or tarptent) pad (ultralight) sleeping bag (800 down fill) and pack.

How are you going to carry 10 liters of water and what for? You going to carry the water to take a bath? That's a lot of water at a kilo a liter. Like 22 pounds just for water??

If you want to prove how tough you are hike 40 miles a day but don't carry a lot of weight.

Baja, try to get your pack base weight down to 20 lbs or less. 16-18 lbs would be even better. I'm not saying you can't hike the AT with a heavier pack (it's certainly been done, many times over) but there are many, many advantages to a lighter pack.

Images

Here is my list, if you look under class of 2008, you will see how much I have changed it, think before you buy! I bought a lot of gear and then decided I wanted to replace certain items.... cost me a lot of money! I am still going to be leaving behind some items and others like the med kit will be cut in half - a lot of the crap I dont need.
    Figure on a pack of around 3,000 - 3,500 in size, this will prevent you from taking a lot of extra junk. Even with a pack the size of my Jam 2, I have room left over!
    Have fun with this, take your time, use the search feature to look up old post before you ask a question - I have found that many times the old post answer my questions.

- Pack, Go-Lite Jam 2, - 1 lb 5.20 oz
    - Platypus 3 liter drink bladder - 3.75 oz
    - Sleeping Bag/stuff sack, Mont-Bell, 40 degree 800 fill - 1 lb 2.85 oz
    - Sleeping Pad/stuff sack, Big Anges, inflate-insulated, modified (see post under gear talk) - 12.20 oz
    - Tent, Contrail tarp tent - 1 lb 8.90 oz
    - Stove/pot/fuel Boil.(fuel,spoon,fork,lighter also) - 1 lb 5.75 oz total
    - Water Filter, Katadyn Hiker Pro - 12.70 oz
    - Leki Poles - 1 lb 4.80 oz
    - light, Petzl Tikka plus - 2.70 oz
    - Bear Bag, 20 feet string (not for just bear bag) - 2.70 oz
    - Trail runners with gel insoles - 1 lbs 8.8 oz

* Clothes: - 5 lb 12.20 oz total
    .- Smart Wool Merino, Long top & bottom - 12.50 oz
    .- Under Armour, under wear (2) - 5.90 oz
    .- REI, pants/short combo - 13.15 oz
    .- REI, Light Rain Pants - 9.75 oz
    .- REI, Light Rain Jacket - 14.80 oz
    .- Exoffico long sleeve roll up shirt - 7.90 oz
    .- Under Armour T-shirts (2) - 10.10 oz
    .- Wool socks (3)and liner socks (2) - 13.95 oz
    .- Clothes stuff sack, water proof, sleeping bag holder also - 4.05 oz

* Medical pack: - 5.55 oz
    - Band-aids, 8 real small (to make stiches if needed) 2 large
    - cutters
    - 6 small eye wash tubes
    - Small size Campho-Phenigue Antiseptic
    - 25 Q-Tips
    - 3 needles
    - Tweezers
    - 4 Alcohol wipes
    - small mirror

*Health pack: - 9.80 oz
    - Suntan lotion
    - Tooth Paste
    - Tooth Brush
    - small soap
    - body wipes

Gear Total - 18 lb 13 oz
    Pack total - 15 lb 2.25 oz (total gear weight and pack, minus the clothes/boots I will be wearing and the poles)

WINTER GEAR: Should add 2lbs 10oz to my pack weight - if I go with the brands I am thinking about. Then the 14oz for the boot weight.
    - Down, Down Top & Bottom
    - Head cover
    - Gloves
    - 20 Degree Bag
    - Boots 14oz

Water weight would be
    3 liter, 100 oz = 6 lb 4 oz
    2 liter, 70 oz = 4 lb 6 oz
    1 liter, 34 oz = 2 lb 2 oz
    Hopefully will not have to carry 6 lbs of water while hiking but its nice to have the ability just in case. Water is one of the few items I dont mind having too much of, just in case.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'll concur with everyone else - it is not too late to plan for a '08 hike. I'll also echo everyone's suggestions to go as light as possible (40-50 pounds is heavy. With that much you will likely mail alot home from Neels Gap https://01ef580.netsolstores.com/ind...Action=COMPANY). Although you have backpacking experience, don't assume that your previous experiences will carry over to a Long Distance Trek. Long Distance Hiking is very different from weekenders or even week-long trips.

As your gear accumulates keep an eye on the smaller things. Ounces add up to pounds very quickly.

Be careful about 'sharing' gear with someone. You might end up carrying that 'shared' gear, if, for some reason, that someone gets off the trail or you get separated on the trail.

Continue to scour the archives here for helpful suggestions.

Good Luck and Have Fun with the planning...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Stop advising him to lighten his pack weight, y'all. He's 22. In horse racing, it's called handicapping.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

If you've got your gear packed, a guide book, and lots of headroom on the credit card, all you would need is a ride to the trailhead.

If you're not carrying 20 pounds of apples, 50 pounds seems like a lot.

Images

Looks like you can do it. Hell, go for it.

There are things you can change in your pack (I wouldn't want a 10 liter waterbag or that stove - 10 liters of water is something like 35 pounds!) but you can go more into that as you prep or sort it out on the trail.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Some thoughts on your list, wrongway_08:

you'll definitely need that 20F bag in Mar
    need 50’ of rope (20’ will barely make it over a branch)
    do you have a jacket other than the rain jacket? fleece?
    have you considered Aqua Mira instead of a water filter?
    what about camp footwear?
    bandanas/buffs?
    hand sanitizer?
    maps/Companion?
    whistle?
    camera/cell phone/mp3 player (everyone seems to carry some sort of electronic device?!?!)
    pen/pencil/paper?
    ear plugs for noisy shelter mates?
    duct tape?
    tp?
    consider a small Swiss Army Knife with tweezers/scissors.

Good call on the suntan lotion...there aren't any leaves on the trees in Mar...

Don’t forget ID/atm/credit cards and important phone #s.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by bajabackpacker View Post
    (for trowel runs
    What's a trowel run??

whisperlite international w/fuel bottle
    msr titan cookset
    10 liter msr drom
    1 liter nalgene or stanley thermos (I hear nalgenes can make you impotent)[/
    Dump all of that. Seriously. Nobody takes that heavy shiat anymore. Make a beer-can alcohol stove, get the K-mart grease pot, get a 2 or 3 liter (max) platy then grab a 20-oz soda on the way to Springer, chug it and keep the bottle.
    leatherman wave (I know it's pretty big
    You mean this thing? That weighs a half pound???
    http://www.leatherman.com/products/t...ve/default.asp
    Seriously, all you need is a very small knife to cut cheese and maybe twine with. The smallest of the Swiss Army knives are a popular choice.
    then I have grop and 5 days food?
    It's only 30 miles to Neel's Gap from Springer, most ppl easily make that in 3 days (2 nights). If you drop a box of food off at Neels before you start, you can resupply there out of that and have them shuttle your box up to Hiawasse where you'll be in another 3 days.

Most ppl don't really eat all that much the first few days, a combination of adrenaline and exhaustion tends to dampen the appetite. Take 2 1/2 days worth of lightweight food, you'll be fine. Plus (and of course don't count on this), but everyone brings way too much food and you won't believe the stuff people are giving away the first few days. I met a couple that (no kidding) had at least 25 lbs of food at Hawk Mtn Shelter (the first one most ppl stay in, only 7.5 miles from Springer). They'd been there for 3 days, too exhausted to go any farther with their 50-60 lbs packs and were giving away food right and left.

I'm looking at about 45-50 lbs right there
    IMO, you're looking at giving up at Neels if your pack's gonna weigh that much. Lighten up to sub-25 lbs and you'll have a great trip.

Yeah, sorry about the confusion and thanks for the wonderful advice.

I meant like 45-50 lbs with food and water but that was just a rough estimate. I plan on putting everything into an excel spreadsheet with weight so I know what I'm looking at. As far as the 10 liter drom, it wasnt going to be full, I'm used to carrying 5 liters of water on me but it seems like you guys like to stop more often to rest. I was going to use the drom with the hydration kit addition (hose and bite valve, etc) instead of camelbak/plat and I happen to have a 10 liter. It does seem like weight is of the utmost importance and I'll have to take a look at my list and try to shave down the ounces with all of your awesome ideas. I'll try to get a more developed gear list together in the next few days. Should I keep posting it here or perhaps start a new thread in a different sub forum?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++