WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A big oversized puffy down jacket that I will never wear.

But I got it at a great price.

Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian...I love this little guy. So long and farewell big packs, maybe I'll see you in winter.

New pair of light weight Leki's. Yea Baby!!! My old makalu's were shot.

Biggest disappointment...Vargo Titanium Triad XE alcohol stove. Complete and total waste of money.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

I like my Vargo, it works okay with a heineken pot. You just need to boil a full can cause it won't light with less than 30ml's of HEET, at least mine won't.

I just bought a Osprey Atmos 65,my next purchase with be a good 15 or 20 degree bag.Marmot Sawtooth or EMS Mtn light 20,have't made up my mind yet

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Canon Powershot G7. I had a SD800 but it was too small for my hands. The G7 is more versitile as well. I like it.
    GSI hard anodized pot. Love it.
    I'll probably get a new down jacket before '07 is done.

I'll probably spring for a Tarptent in 2008. Probably a Montbell down hugger #7 too.

Osprey Atmos 50 backpack... super comfy and cool on the back. Took a bit to figure out how exactly to pack it because of the oddly shaped interior, but once I did, it rides very well.

Black Diamond hiking poles. Way, way way way way better than my Leki's were. I love them.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I bought it in Nov 2006, so I hope this OK to post.

But, after XXXX amount of miles, my beloved Feathered Friends Hummingbird was finally N/G for the edge of 3 season backpacking. (It is in my garage now as a spare/loaner. It is good enough for normal 3 season backpacking, I'd be hesitant to take it shoulder season backpacking, though).

Golite is literally around the corner from where I live. Twice a year they have a HUGE warehouse sale. Factory seconds/samples for $5 for a $50 shirt. Shells that are half off. And down sleeping bags that are about half off as well.

Coming back from the CDT, funds were a little low. But I REALLY needed a new sleeping bag and the timing was right. (The sale happened about a week coming off the trail!)

So I bought a new sleeping bag.

So far, i am very pleased with it. Warm, toasty and light. So far it is performing as well as my 1997 vintage Humming Bird. I have yet to use it on a long hike, but have used it many weekends this year and it has proven itself well.

I also purchased lumber to make a sleeping platform in my pickup.
    Camping out on Fridays before a weekend backpack in nice!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Pocket beaver. . . just kidding, I have no reason to chop down trees while hiking.

Images

Been a year of messing around with gear, but the only thing I actually bought was a Pocket Rocket. Oh, and a pocket knife for my daughter (she lost hers on a hike).

Made: hammock; silnylon tarp; quilt from an old Cat's Meow; a couple of hiking skirts out of men's swim trunks; fooled around with alcohol stoves a bit

Given: Kelty Tioga (circa late '80 - was my ex's and he passed it on to our teenagers); my brother cleaned out his storage unit and sent us two internal frame backpacks (a small NF that my ex gave him when he was a teenager and some load monster that I'll probably never use, especially if I plan to travel by air), a Marmot rain jacket, a GoLite jacket, a Platypus, and some odds and ends.

We now own 9!!! backpacks. And 7 sleeping bags/quilts! I'd clean out my closet, but I kinda like the mess.

I'll try to remember everything... Caldera Cone for my SP700. SD Lightyear. Minibull Trek II. Salomon Raid Revo 30. BD Trail trekking poles. BD Vectra IQ & BD Zenix IQ headlamps. Two GG Air Compressor sacks. One OR compression sack. And my favorite, my Montbell UL SS Down Hugger #2.

Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I'll try to remember everything... Caldera Cone for my SP700. SD Lightyear. Minibull Trek II. Salomon Raid Revo 30. BD Trail trekking poles. BD Vectra IQ & BD Zenix IQ headlamps. Two GG Air Compressor sacks. One OR compression sack. And my favorite, my Montbell UL SS Down Hugger #2.
    Oh yeah, I bought a OR Advanced Bivy. Then I sold it.....

G5 Gossamer Gear backpack, prolite 3 short sleeping pad, Spinnshelter by Gossamer Gear, Snow Peak 2.5 oz stove,...and a few tents for camping.
    When I hike the AT next spring I will use 20F Moonstone Lucid 800 sleeping bag.

Have a great hike.
    Sandalwood

Images

I got a pin that says "Ask me about my explosive diarrhea"

and a couple of stickers from lowrider:
    "REAL MEN CHIT THEIR PANTS" -my kid loves this one.

DRINK MOONSHINE

i SMOKE CRACK FOR BIG MILES.
    See ya when I get there.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

ULA Catalyst pack

Fethered Friends 20 degree Puffin bag

Henry Shires Rainbow 2 Tarp Tent

Images

I gave my Kelty pack away and got a North Face Terra 40. A new Sunto compass to replace my old one that I lost at Mount Rogers. Pocket Rocket in favor of my wood burner due to the insane dry conditions down here in SW VA. A new roll of duktape, a lightmyfire spork. MSR titanium dry storage pot. A roll of Aluminum foil to make my windscreen. Petzl headlamp. A small one man Eureka Tent. Theres more that I don't remember I basically merged a bunch of my friend's gear lists got rid of my old outdated heavy stuff and replaced it with my own collection of light to midweight gear. My thru hike pack should weigh in right around 27 pounds in 08 or 10.

I just bought a Coleman B46 stove. It is used and I am not sure if the seals are good or not. It would have been nice to get all the accessories, but I couldn't pass it up.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Maybe this site will help you guys know whats good and whats not based on your personal outdoor preferences. I'll give you a link to the general outdoors gear:

http://www.buzzillions.com/camping-h.../n/4294966194/

This site is pretty cool because it has you choose your specific preferences and it shows you a list of products that have been recommended by people just like you. Once you find something that interests you, you can read reviews from people who have actually used the products and you can compare different brands, makes etc side by side, feature for feature!

The problem with asking us how we liked certain gear is that we might be looking for something different than you...but with this site you can find products that people with the same preferences and experience are recommending! I find it really usefull, hopefully you do too!

Let me know how it goes...Happy Hunting!

Images

Default New Gear - 2007

Just picked up a new Katadyn Hiker water filter today. I know that this years "new" model is the Katadyn Hiker Pro, but for the extra few bucks, I can do without the quick-disconnect hoses (I'm still wealthy, just poor in money LOL).

I also worked some more on my bear rope by adding a "Monkey Fist" knot at one end which uses a golf ball for a solid core. True, I can just find a stone, or tie the end of the rope around my Gatorade bottle to sling the rope over a branch to hang my bear bag, but hey, it was something to do while this 'ole geezer passes the time until my thru-hike in May.

All I gotta say is, S***, time sure is going by slowly until I can get there. Oh well, like a starving doctor, all I need is lots of patience.

I just picked up some gear today...

Got a
    New Vasque Wasatch GTX Hiking Boots (love them)

New Gregory G70 Pack (only paid $89.00 for it new)

New MSR Reactor cooking stove system (awesome, I love it!) $139.00

used sweetwater hand pump Guardian microfilter system

used Primus 2245 sweden latern (that I haven't figured out yet)
    I assume you need a mantle for it?

used little cooking stove (not sure what brand) but it's slower than the MSR Reactor system.

A used North Face Sleeping Bag
    A used 2 man lightweight tent
    A Dry bag
    and a few other things....

Anyone know anything about that Primus Latern?
    Also can I buy refill cartridges for the sweetwater system?

Thanks,
    Larry

Favorite purchases include buying potential new Hieni pots every weekend, I suspect this will be my favorite purchases of 08 too!

PT-92 9mm favorite purchase this year!
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++