WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vapor Trail or Nimbus Ozone for this base weight?

OK - I know the last thing you guys need is another "Which pack should I get?" thread, especially a "Vapor Trail or Nimbus Ozone?" thread...but I'm really undecided...at first, it seemed like the Vapor Trail was the clear pack of choice, but then I'm reading that a lot of people find it uncomfortable over 25 lbs?

I will have a base weight of 15 or 16 lbs (not sure yet)...is this a reasonable base weight for the Vapor Trail or should I upgrade to the Ozone? I'm worried that with a lot of food and water the pack could go over 25 lbs, maybe even over 30 lbs, not sure what to expect on a thru-hike. I suppose I can always switch the pack later but I'd hate to get the wrong one.

Thanks - sorry for being the millionth person to ask this...

-Andrew

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have a latitude vapor, which has the same suspension as the vapor trail (long torso size for me). The only thing I can say is that when you hit the limit of the pack's suspension, you know it. It's not a gradual decline in carrying ability, it's more like crossing a line. My base weight is 12-15 pounds. I only cross that line when I have to carry an all-day water load.

You're right on the edge, I'd say. Unfortunately "base weight" isn't the end-all. It might turn out to be a dry season, and you might end up having to lug more water than you'd like. You also need to figure in your expected resupply interval, since that determines the weight of the food you'll be carrying. My (personal) decision was to "play it safe" and go for the pack with the stiffer frame.

It really just has to do with whether or not you are willing to accept the weight limitation, and it's a personal preference.

The Nimbus Ozone weighs an extra pound but I believe it's worth it in flexibility. Having a pack that will only carry 25 pounds will definitely influence your hike by forcing you to go into town to resupply more frequently. Also, water may well be an issue as Terrapin said. Remember, it's 2.2 pounds per liter. A liter is not a lot of water on a hot humid day on the trail.

You may also find that the Nimbus Ozone carries even 20 pounds more comfortably.

Before you make the decision, try them both, or at least make sure you can return whichever one you get.

If you can do 40-50 pushups and bench your bodyweight, go with the vapor trail. If you can't carry any weight on your traps, go with the nimbus. 35# with a vapor trail is no prob for me, YMMV. Make sure it fits also.

Images

I have used the vapor trail and have found that it does not carry well for me if my pack weight gets over 25 lbs.Look the the meridian it weighs more but can handle a bigger load more comfortably

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    If you can do 40-50 pushups and bench your bodyweight, go with the vapor trail. If you can't carry any weight on your traps, go with the nimbus. 35# with a vapor trail is no prob for me, YMMV. Make sure it fits also.
    The weight shouldn't be on your shoulders, it should be on your hips.

I have not had problems with the Vapor Trail at 30-35#. I cannot "do 40-50 pushups and bench (my) bodyweight." I like the smaller size.

My son has the Ozone. Definitely a sturdier pack- and larger volume.

It is a good idea to see how your gear fits in the pack as well. Don't just rely on weight.
    The necessities of life weigh less than 20 pounds. Everything else is a luxury.

The Vapor Trail handles 25 lbs just fine. If anyone has a problem with that weight with this pack, they are not packing it properly.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

with a case of blind faith
    Images

I'd go (and have) the nimbus ozone. One thing i liked was how well and easily it adjusted, per their website instructions, and how well it carries out of town with "full" weight. A buddy had the vapor trail and he loved it just before resupply but hated it just after....

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asimpson1983 View Post
    OK - I know the last thing you guys need is another "Which pack should I get?" thread, especially a "Vapor Trail or Nimbus Ozone?" thread...but I'm really undecided...at first, it seemed like the Vapor Trail was the clear pack of choice, but then I'm reading that a lot of people find it uncomfortable over 25 lbs?

I will have a base weight of 15 or 16 lbs (not sure yet)...is this a reasonable base weight for the Vapor Trail or should I upgrade to the Ozone? I'm worried that with a lot of food and water the pack could go over 25 lbs, maybe even over 30 lbs, not sure what to expect on a thru-hike. I suppose I can always switch the pack later but I'd hate to get the wrong one.

Thanks - sorry for being the millionth person to ask this...

-Andrew
    ========================================

From my personal experience you're right at the hairy edge. Depending on your re-supply intervals you might end up with an 8 - 10 lb food bag, which would push you over the "comfort level" (at least in my experience) with the Vapor Trail.

That said ...I would try and trim back a few pounds and watch my food bag weight and go with the Vapor Trail. You're SO close that it would be a shame to up your empty pack weight by a pound by going to the Nimbus Ozone.

I own both packs and will tell you that the Nimbus Ozone it one SWEET pack ...but you really don't need it unless your sustained total pack weight is approaching 30lbs. I carried the Vapor Trail on my thru in 2003. At first I loaded it up to the 30lb level and was "shouldering" all the weight and wasn't a very happy camper. Within a few weeks I dropped my pack weight to under 26 lbs and the Vapor Trail carried like a dream.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I just bought a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone at the Gathering for $170 from www.Hikersupply.com. I took it out just last weekend. There was no water on the AT last week where I was so I had to bring 1 gallon of water with me for a 2 day hike. So that added 8 pounds right there. It was very comfortable and carried the weight well, I thought.

Panzer

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I just bought a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone at the Gathering for $170 from www.Hikersupply.com. I took it out just last weekend. There was no water on the AT last week where I was so I had to bring 1 gallon of water with me for a 2 day hike. So that added 8 pounds right there. It was very comfortable and carried the weight well, I thought.

Panzer
    ===================================

It was that sort of thing (water) that pushed me to buy my Nimbus Ozone (used on eBay - $90) for my upcoming PCT hike, where water is at a premium - at least in the beginning - and you have to carry a lot of water.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Yea, you think that your going to have a light pack but then things happen like you have to carry a gallon of water. Thats why its good to have some surplus carrying capacity with a pack that can carry 35 pounds.

Panzer

Not on your list, but I vote for the ULA Catalyst. 3lbs and will handle 35-40 comfortably.

Wow, thanks for all the replies...I'll have to think about it. Seems like you're pushing me towards the Ozone, I like the play it safe philosophy, and also if I would ever want to do the PCT or something with this base weight, I wouldn't have to buy a new pack.

I have a dumb question, but one that I haven't seen asked before...when they say the Vapor Trail carries up to 30 lbs comfortably, they're INCLUDING the pack itself, right? Because I'm including that in my 15-16 lb base weight. If you're not including that, then it seems like I'm golden to carry the VT.

Thanks again,
    Andrew

Haha, also, if you saw my gear list, there is one extremely conspicuous 14oz item that you would immediately knock off to easily solve this dilemma.

Oh, also (sorry about all these posts) - the person who posted about the ULA Catalyst...yeah...I looked at it online...the problem is that there doesn't seem to be any place around here to try this stuff on. I feel like *everyone* likes the Granite Gear stuff and you can't go wrong...but then the ULA looks like it's a bit more functional....plus it has those elastic things on the back that I could use to store that conspicuous 14oz item...hmm...

Deciding on gear is tough. Specially packs. I am learning this.

-Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by asimpson1983 View Post

I will have a base weight of 15 or 16 lbs (not sure yet)...is this a reasonable base weight for the Vapor Trail or should I upgrade to the Ozone?

I spent some considerable time trying on the vapor trail and for me, once I hit 28lbs, it didn't carry the weight that well at all.

I wouldn't use one unless your base weight is 11lbs or less. Even then you still might not like the pack. I couldn't stand how long the extension was.

All that really matters is how it fits/feels. Go to your local shop and try both packs on with 25lbs, then 30lbs. I bet you like the ozone better. Better yet, take all your gear so you can see how they are as far as volume.

Have fun!

Images

the vapor trail when packed correct will carry 30lb with relative ease. the nimbus is definitly more sturdy for the heavier loads up to 40lb tops... there are two things you want to make sure of when geting your pack rready.
    1. make sure your suspension straps are adjusted properly so the pack fits your body correctly. most packs can adjust aprox 2 to 3 inches up or down depending on which way you need to go with it...
    2. make sure you fill the pack properly. i belive its lighter items towards the bottom and the somewhat heavier items toward the top..also make sure you pack strategicly...

you will always have minor issues with whatever pack you decide to carry but both of these packs are pretty sweet. i could always let you borrow my keilty red cloud at a generous 6lbs with lots of pockets, lol....good luck, nitewalker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++