WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help with finding a new bag

I'm looking for a new down bag around 15-20 degree.I've narrowed it down to the Marmot Sawtooth and the EMS Mountain Light 20.I've read alot of good feedback on the Marmot,but not too many reviews on the EMS.Anyone here use one? What are the pros/cons on this bag?

Between those two I'd go with the EMS. The EMS falls between Marmot's Sawtooth and Marmot's Helium, and is closer to the Helium for 2/3rds the price. Sometimes you pay for a name.

Sawtooth 600 down 2lb 14oz $220
    EMS 725 down 2lb $230
    Helium 850 down 1lb 13oz $360

Is this to replace an old down bag? You may want to save yourself some dough and go a 20* down Campmor.

Thanks for the reply's.I really like the EMS,but i found a Sawtooth on Ebay for $125 shipped and the seller has a good feedback rating.I may just end up oing with he EMS.

Sly.I have a cold weather down bag,just looking for something for mild weather,so it will be as a second choice bag

This is the campmor bag Sly mentioned: LINK

550 down 2lb 4oz on sale for $110, with free shipping.

Plus you can return it easily if you're not pleased with it, though it is quite popular on here.

I shopped both bags a couple years ago. I liked both but ended up with the Sawtooth. I tried both on before I bought and the Sawtooth is 62" at the shoulder. The Mountain Lite is 60" and the extra 2 inches made a difference for me. I recommended the ML for my friend and he loves it. Shop around on the web. You can get the Sawtooth under $200. REI just had a sale on them. Not sure if it's expired or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey35 View Post
    I'm looking for a new down bag around 15-20 degree.I've narrowed it down to the Marmot Sawtooth and the EMS Mountain Light 20.I've read alot of good feedback on the Marmot,but not too many reviews on the EMS.Anyone here use one? What are the pros/cons on this bag?
    I had 2 bags from EMS and both had huge issues with zippers jambing and sticking. Only a word of caution, get in the bag and zip it up and down a couple of times before you buy. The problems were associated with the "draft tube" and the very narrow tape strip along the zipper.

Yeah, don't forget to take girth into account. After being cramped at the shoulders for many years I finally got a Mont Bell Super Stretch. A bit expensive but well worth it, IMO.

++ New Posts ++