WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking pack heaven or hell,did i make the right choice

got the pack i wanted today in the mail.never touched it before.z55 3660ci.
    grabed all the new stuff laying all over the room and stuffed it in.some room left.not all the gear here yet,but it seams heavey as a mother scatcher.back to the drawing board.thereis no fooood in it yet.maybe i just paranoid .this might be harder than i thought.im a gear junkie.i have been known to carry all my new stuff no matter how heavey.

back to the pack,the buckles seam like mickey mouse light.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzie View Post
    grabed all the new stuff laying all over the room and stuffed it in.some room left.not all the gear here yet,but it seams heavey as a mother scatcher.back to the drawing board.thereis no fooood in it yet.maybe i just paranoid .this might be harder than i thought.im a gear junkie.i have been known to carry all my new stuff no matter how heavey.

Your gear list might help flesh out the situation.

Images

if you live in a place with a good outfitter they will let you bring in all your gear and help you find a pack that fits you and your stuff pretty well.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I suggest you attend the SORUCK and get tucked......

Images

Sight unseen, I would respectfully submit that you have too much gear! (I'm a gear junkie, too - I have one entire room in my house dedicated to outdoor equipment - much of it retired after only a few uses!)

Be ruthless with your gear - get rid of every extra ounce that you do not ABSOLUTELY need. Go ahead - cut the handle off of your toothbrush. Leave that candle lantern out. Trash that extra set of batteries. Plan your meals around one pot and one spoon (or better yet, a LARGE stainless steel sierra cup - yes they still make them), and get rid of the rest of your kitchen stuff.

3660 cu in should be plenty of room for essential gear, food, and water.

Images

On the continuum from traditional (heavy) backpacking to über-super-ultralight, the Z-55 is squarely in the lightweight hiker section. You'll want your base weight to be less than 20 pounds (that's the pack and all your gear, but not food or water). The total weight of your pack/bag/tent/pad ought to be under 10 pounds.

With lightweight packs, you need a combination of light weight *and* low-bulk gear, to fit in 3600ci. If you're carrying a 4-lb synthetic bag, and/or a 5-lb two person tent, you'll run afoul of both the weight and the bulk issues.

Or, if all of your gear is ultralight, but you are carrying far too many items, you'll have the same problem.

Post a gear list. Have it abused by the helpful people here at WB.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Some great ideas already.

Always good to get your gear organized and then get the pack. But no doubt you will ditch gear or switch gear on your hike. It's inevitable.
    Main thing is, watch your gear weight.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT-HITMAN2005 View Post
    if you live in a place with a good outfitter they will let you bring in all your gear and help you find a pack that fits you and your stuff pretty well.
    Isn't that kinda rude, considering the pack came from the mail, not them?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    Isn't that kinda rude, considering the pack came from the mail, not them?
    A good outfitter will provide this service based on the assumption that, when you need more gear (or new gear), you will remember that they were there to help before, and you'll come to them and spend some of your money.

Sometimes it's true, sometimes not, but if it's true more often than not, they will keep doing it!

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

got the pack i wanted today in the mail.never touched it before.z55 3660ci.grabed all the new stuff laying all over the room and stuffed it in.some room left.not all the gear here yet,but it seams heavey as a mother scatcher.back to the drawing board.thereis no fooood in it yet.maybe i just paranoid .this might be harder than i thought.im a gear junkie.i have been known to carry all my new stuff no matter how heavey.
    That packs to light and made out of to thin of materials...Even the company that makes that pack thinks so...Think about it..Why would that same company make packs that are twice the price and near twice the weight at the same cubic inches if that pack is all it`s cracked up to be?..The packs I speak of (Twice the weight) are listed as "extended trip" packs and advertised as "PACKS BUILT FOR OPTIMUM, DYNAMIC LOAD CONTROL, BALANCE AND ALL DAY COMFORT"...If the pack they make for half the price and half the weight (Z55) also fit that bill they`d have some explaining to do...Someone said 3660 cubic inches is more than enough room which may be true but 3660 in how heavy of a pack?...I can guarantee you gear will feel lighter and carry better in a pack that is 2 pounds heavier than the one you got......In the past I spoke with Wayne Gregory personally about pack design and quality and I can only assume he got use to making a lot of money because the Wayne Gregory I knew back then would never have put his name on a light weight inferior performing pack...All his packs use to be monsters that were bomb-proof on the mountains
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

im a gear junkie.i have been known to carry all my new stuff no matter how heavey.
    Have you done a shakedown yet? Sometimes that can cure this
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Smile

He makes that pack specifically for ultralighters. It may not be the best UL pack out there, but at least he's trying to cater to 'em as well. I've got a couple of Gregory packs. One piece o' junk Stinger from '04, and a G70 from early this year that I love. The G is a decent kinda-light pack, and carries 25 pounds as well as anything I've used. But it'll never be an Osprey!

I'm looking getting my 3rd Osprey, a Mariposa 50. I'm just stupid sometimes when it comes to gear goodies. I don't think that new gear helps me hike better, I just like my toys.

Edit: Going light is a whole lot more about what you leave home than what you carry. Think really hard about that statement. Put all your stuff out on the floor, and look at each and every piece with an ultra-critical eye. You'll probably be surprised at the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    That packs to light and made out of to thin of materials...Even the company that makes that pack thinks so...Think about it..Why would that same company make packs that are twice the price and near twice the weight at the same cubic inches if that pack is all it`s cracked up to be?..The packs I speak of (Twice the weight) are listed as "extended trip" packs and advertised as "PACKS BUILT FOR OPTIMUM, DYNAMIC LOAD CONTROL, BALANCE AND ALL DAY COMFORT"...If the pack they make for half the price and half the weight (Z55) also fit that bill they`d have some explaining to do...Someone said 3660 cubic inches is more than enough room which may be true but 3660 in how heavy of a pack?...I can guarantee you gear will feel lighter and carry better in a pack that is 2 pounds heavier than the one you got......In the past I spoke with Wayne Gregory personally about pack design and quality and I can only assume he got use to making a lot of money because the Wayne Gregory I knew back then would never have put his name on a light weight inferior performing pack...All his packs use to be monsters that were bomb-proof on the mountains.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 10-28-2007 at 23:12.
    Just hike.

Get Tuckerized at a 'Ruck, I thought that was an awesome tool, and an eye opening experience.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Get Tuckerized at a 'Ruck, I thought that was an awesome tool, and an eye opening experience.

"hypothetically" smile if i had no idea what you mean by that could you please explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by lizincali View Post
    "hypothetically" smile if i had no idea what you mean by that could you please explain it.
    Imagine a live, in-person version of what goes on here at WB when a newbie posts a gear list.

Images

A "Ruck" is a gathering of hikers. To be "tucked" or "tuckerized" is to have other hikers look over every item in your pack, trying to reduce your pack weight. Goes back to and old story involving a hiker with the trail name Friar Tuck helping Gypsy, another hiker, lose a few pounds before starting a thru-hike.

The southern Ruck is at Nantahala Outdoor Center over the King weekend in January. It's fun.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

How much are you actually carrying?

Get that weight down, from everything that I have heard, this pack is supposed to be very nice if loaded properly in its weight range!

Is your pack sized properly?

What I was told about total weight of pack should between 20-25% pre, of the body weight. Also look at personal items, I buy trial size which Iput in a zip-lock big the smallist one. Clothes just for 3-4 days because townes near, and layer them. Check state by state for climit changes, you might be albe to mail drop some things.

My pack is about 9% of my body weight, with all my three season stuff but without food and water, and I'm not fat nor am I a big gram weine.

I'll chime in too-
    The Z55 is a decent pack, it is designed to carry a max of 30 lbs, so make sure your weight is less than that. If its more than that, the suspension system just isn't designed to carry it- hence, it will feel heavy. Some basics- make sure the pack fits right, the torso length on that pack is not adjustable- so, you should have the waist belt arranged so that the top of your hip bones are in the middleish of the hip belt and the shoulder straps should be on your shoulders. The weight should not be on your shoulders, if it is you need a larger pack (ie longer torso length). Also make sure that you've pulled the over-the-shoulder straps in so that the weight of the pack is closer to your back. That said, what I've noticed about that particular pack and the osprey atmos/ aura packs is that because of the curved backframe design, to many people it feels like 1. the pack's weight is digging into the lower back disproportionately or 2. it feels like its pulling you backward. Both of those things will make a pack feel heavier than it should.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++