WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kid's Bag under 2 lbs?

I'm looking for a sleeping back for a young lady. She is 4 ft 10. Will probably grow a foot in the next year. We are hiking march 08. I want to keep the weight under two pounds.
    I have looked at Marmot's 25 degree pounder plus. But $159-$189? Wow too much! All the "kid" bags I find are 2.5 lbs or more!!! Can you guys help me out?
    Because the Journey is not just a begining and an end...

My Thru Hike

Most of the sub-two pound 20°F bags are going to run you at least $100.

One option would be getting her a Montbell Super Stretch Hugger model, which has a "foot box adjuster" that basically will shorten the effective length of the bag. This way you'd only have to buy her a sleeping bag once, and not a kids then adult model.

Another option is just to buy her an adult sleeping bag, since you think she will grow a foot within the next year. The Campmor 20°F Down Bag is about as light 2lb 4oz and effective as you can get for the price $110.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Since she is already 58" tall and most kids bags only fit kids up to 60", I'd buy her a quality adult bag (the Campmor mummy bag would certainly be one to consider in your stated price range) and tuck the extra length of the bag under her feet for now so she stays warm.

Honestly, I'd buy a short womens bag instead. Then it would fit to 5'5" or 5'6". Bettter buy overall.

Most kids bags just are not light. Why? Part of it is the abuse the kids get. They tend to use no down and older synthetics as well.

My sons 20* bag is under 2 lbs barely, it is an REI Zig Zag synthetic. He also had an older North Face Tigger back in the day that was near 2 lbs as well. But they use heavier fill now.

If you can, buy down to save weight and make it pack better.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

I made a ray-way quilt, and pack for my for my son, when he was 11. It does not make sense to buy "kid gear" cause you only have to turn around and buy adult gear too soon. This gear should take my son through scouts, and into adulthood.

++ New Posts ++