WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Shelter etiquette

If a hiker has a medical condition which necessitates frequent trips during the night for bladder relief, is it best if the hiker tents instead of using the shelter (if others are using the shelter)? Your thoughts and experiences...
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

GAME 2000
    Images

My thought is that if someone doesn't want to be bothered by other people, then THEY shouldn't stay in the shelter. It is pretty much impossible to stay in a shelter and not notice that there are other people there, especially when they fill-up. People sometimes snore, sometimes have to pee in the middle of the night, sometimes people want to stay up late, sometimes people want to talk, sometimes people want to get up early, sometimes people turn & toss at night, etc. I also realize that some people snore all the time, some people have bladder problems, some people always stay up late, some people always get up early, some people toss & turn every night, some people even hike at night and come in the shelters after most people are asleep. But, the shelters are there for everyone-- and for good reason. They are not there just for the few that are 'perfect in every way'. With that said, it is also common decency to try to minimize your impact on the other folks who are using the shelter.

Good ear plugs can solve a lot of problems.

Youngblood

Shelters are first come, first served. If you choose to stay in a crowded square box instead of camping in the thousands of acres around you, deal with it. Get ear plugs. Pretty simple.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you're going to use the shelters, you've got to bring earplugs (less than a quarter ounce). Even then, they may not be sufficient to muffle the professional snorer.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    With that said, it is also common decency to try to minimize your impact on the other folks who are using the shelter.
    Youngblood
    "COMMON DECENCY" is non-existant.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Images

Use a catheter... Just kidding.
    In an ideal world, everyone in shelters would go to sleep at nightfall, not snore, and not move. But this is just not the case. If a shelter has more than one or two people in it, I will camp somewhere else unless it is raining. If there is no chance of rain, I will usually cowboy if I can find a flatspot.
    It would be nice if that hiker who has to piss every few hours would camp. If not, than try not to shine the flashlight on everyone's face when going to and from the bathroom. If you have to go, you have to go.
    I always think it is funny when there is some old grump in a shelter who flips out when anyone moves or snores.

The shelters are for everyone if they choose to use them which carries the inherent risks, human and rodent. In my experience over the years the biggest complainers appear to be devout disciples of the ever more prominant doctrine of political correctness in which where one says, acts, or is percieved to think in such a way which one feels to be objectionable, then they are deemed to be offensive and wrong. An alternative for these folks to enjoy the ammenities of shelters would be to fund an alternative shelter system which carries steep fees with strict covenants for membership. Afterall, I have read that in some metro areas they have created a second class of HOV lane for the commute in which access is allowed by a sliding fee. As ridiculous as this may sound it could become a reality when years from now 10,000 plus NOBOs are jockying for position.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy
    If a hiker has a medical condition which necessitates frequent trips during the night for bladder relief, is it best if the hiker tents instead of using the shelter (if others are using the shelter)? Your thoughts and experiences...
    I'm guilty. Not a medical problem, I got dehydrated once (4 hours in the hospital ER for 2,000 cc's of IV fluid cause of it), so am seriously parinoid about it & I drink WAY too much!

I also snore, no not your normal snoring, I have helped clear a shelter, and caused a few to not stay with me the 2nd night

SOOOO, I do my best to tent out. Just out of courtesy for those who stay in the shelter.

And, it is easy for me to tent, mine sets up in less than 3 minutes, so why not.

Doctari.

Thanks for the replies. My intent is to tent whenever possible, just trying to learn more about the shelter community.

Do all shelters have mice? Does the weather have much of an impact on the numbers? Cold, wet, etc.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Chappy:

You should expect that every shelter will have at least one resident rodent of some sort (sometimes it's a rat). The shelter register may give you an idea of what to expect, but I would always plan on hanging your food and opening up all the pockets in your pack.

While I can't comment on winter rodent populations, they are certainly strong the other three seasons.

I did sleep in the raised, all-plywood Catawba Shelter outside of Roanoke last month. While I'm pretty sure I heard one of the buggers underneath the shelter, there didn't seem to be an easy way for them to get in, and if they did manage to get in, the only way out was to jump over the side or climb down the steps. That said, there were some heavy duty food bag hangers in the shelter.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Post with drawn

with drawn
    Last edited by alpine; 12-11-2003 at 09:21.
    Where Eagles dare!!!

Do all shelters have mice? Does the weather have much of an impact on the numbers? Cold, wet, etc.
    Actually a few shelters in the south have snakes and no mice. These are wonderful and I always stay in them, because they also do not have snorers. My favorite one in Georgia was full when I got there, so I waited and late in the afternoon the resident black snake came in and cleared it out. I took one corner and it took the other one. The Priest Shelter used to have a resident rattle snake but I heard some idiot killed it, damn.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Shelter etiquette

Hi Gang,
    I snore, so during my 2001 thru I would sleep in my tent as much as possiable. If I used a shelter, mostly in bad weather, I would tell everybody that "I snore". Yes, I did take some crap from others, and I had some folks move out when they saw that I was staying in the shelter. I had one hiker gal beat the crap out of me, when she slept next to me and I snored. She apoliged to me in the morning and I told her it made me feel right at home. My wife does that to me often.
    As they say,"it's all part of the hike."
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Actually a few shelters in the south have snakes and no mice. These are wonderful and I always stay in them, because they also do not have snorers. My favorite one in Georgia was full when I got there, so I waited and late in the afternoon the resident black snake came in and cleared it out. I took one corner and it took the other one. The Priest Shelter used to have a resident rattle snake but I heard some idiot killed it, damn.
    Blue Jay,

Heck, a Black Snake can come stay in my sleeping bag with me, or better yet... in my pack!!! I'd much rather have a snake in the night than a mouse and all his family all over me!!!

Kill a rattler? The jerks. I guess they want 'em to go the way of so many other native species (extinction)?

Rain Man

Default Bad manners

I hate it when the shelter is crowded at dinnertime and a hiker looks at his food and exclaims "WHAT?!! Mac 'n cheese AGAIN?!" and throws his pot open-side against the wall (SPLAT~). Very bad etiquette.

GA->Port Clinton, PA '04 eldwayno's Avatar

So what's the deal on snorers... I mean I want to get the whole thru-hiking experience, with staying in shelters with folks and all but I do have a snoring "problem". Should I just suck it up and tent it, or should they suck it up and deal, I don't want to force myself upon anyone, but I have every right to a spot in a shelter as they do. I'm just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by eldwayno
    I don't want to force myself upon anyone, but I have every right to a spot in a shelter as they do. I'm just wondering.
    There are medical solutions out there to help people stop snoring-- nasal strips and such that don't weigh much. I know those don't work for everyone, but it might be something to look into if you're a chronic snorer and plan to spend a lot of nights in shelters.

Just be forewarned-- if you do snore in shelters, and I happen to be sharing that shelter with you, I will be more than willing to jab you with the carbide tip of a Leki hiking pole everytime you wake me up. You wanna snore, fine, but I'll be darned if I'm not going to share some of my misery with you.

So what's the deal on snorers... I mean I want to get the whole thru-hiking experience, with staying in shelters with folks and all but I do have a snoring "problem". Should I just suck it up and tent it, or should they suck it up and deal, I don't want to force myself upon anyone, but I have every right to a spot in a shelter as they do. I'm just wondering.
    Snoring does not usually bother me unless it is at chainsaw volume. If you know you snore it is poor etiquette to force yourself on others, just like bringing a wet dog into the shelter. Do many people do it and do they have a right to do it, yes. Do others have to deal with it, clearly yes. However, it is just plain common decency not to force others to leave a shelter just to be able to sleep. At least let the others know that you are offensive ahead of time, so they can decide.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default TO Chappy...

A number of the male hikers I was with used a "golden jug" at night. It was very easy for them to do this inside the sleeping bag. In the moring they would discreetly bring it out to the woods to empty. Give it a rinse and pack it away.

Not to start a new thread, but some used it solely for "pee". Others used is as their daily water bottle. To each his own.

Good Luck on your hike.

Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

I imagine a snorer has as much right in a shelter as a stinky hiker. At least with a snorer, it is EASY for anyone who is not a sound sleeper to slap in a couple of ear plugs. You can do without hearing. Can't do without breathing. Besides, a smelly hiker can wash up. A snoring hiker can't do much.

Maybe all the hikers who snore and all the hikers who smell bad should tent camp? Hmmmmmmmm.....

It's probably the hiker who complains the most about smells and sounds who really ought to be out in a tent by himself. Don't you think?

Rain Man

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++