WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: N.VA Hikers

Images

Ok I m in to rally at 0800 on 1 Dec Lower Parking Lot at Bears Den Hostel. So who all else will be there?
    So far it looks like Newb, cj06887, Critterman and me.
    With a possibility for: bfitz and Creek Dancer.
    Any other takers? AT_Disciple?

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Up from Georgia and gonna be in the DC area for the next couple of weeks. I brought my gear hoping to do some hiking while in the area. Have you got room for a Georgia Hiker?

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

Wow! So glad I visited WB today while the pumpkin pie is baking!

I'm between Front Royal and Linden, and I would be totally up for a day hike on 1-Dec if not more. I haven't been on the AT north of VA7 since 1999, though I hike south of US50 quite often.

If you guys are planning on going south toward Denton -- even better. I love the meadow s. of Manassas Gap -- one of my favorite places on earth.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

yes, absolutely Stix here's the itinerary - Hope both u and Astro can make it..keep an eye on this thread for updates/changes. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    I'm jazzed. This is a good hike. Park at Bear's Den (lower parking lot) Saturday A.M. (0800 Rally time). Hike north to Blackburn..see devils racecourse and scenic cliffs on the way.

OK, as it stands right now... the group rendezvous at Bear's Den at 0800 Sat 12/1, hikes to Blackburn Trail Center area to camp and returns to Bear's Den the AM of Sun 12/2 .

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I just took a look at the updated weather forecast for the Harper's Ferry area for 1, 2 DEC. Not good. Rain, cold, snow. thoughts?
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Thanks for the update, Newb!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    I just took a look at the updated weather forecast for the Harper's Ferry area for 1, 2 DEC. Not good. Rain, cold, snow. thoughts?
    I'm still game. Maybe we can stage a couple of vehicles at Blackburn and if if the weather gets too bad those who wish can head out instead of spending the night.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    I'm still game. Maybe we can stage a couple of vehicles at Blackburn and if if the weather gets too bad those who wish can head out instead of spending the night.

Furlough
    Yeah, I'm thinking day hike. I really don't want to overnight if the weather is in the 20s at night. I literally don't have the sleeping bag for that. My North Face Aztec (supposedly 20 degree) is ok down to 30. Even with a fleece liner I get cold.

not a bad idea to set up the vehicles just in case we have to bail. I’ll be prepared for either day hiking or camping depending on the weather.

hard to predict the weather this far ahead, chances are that forecast will change ( I hope ).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
    hard to predict the weather this far ahead, chances are that forecast will change ( I hope ).
    This mornings forecast for Sat and Sun does show some improvement, particularly for Sat. I agree with you still too early for predictions, and no telling how many times the forecast will change this week. But at this point this looks doable.

Furlough

Images

I'll bring enough gear to go either way. Weather wise, that is.

Unfortunately I cannot get off work on Friday to drive up there. So I am out for this trip. Have fun everyone. Hopefully I can join you next time!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Yep, better weather forecast as of today.

im thinking im gonna pass on this hike..i was really looking to get in a bit more milage. rt 7 to blackburn is not a big hike (only about 7.mi), the group will probabaly arrive there at about noon or early afternoon - leaving a long time to stand around and be cold for those who would camp (me). im more into hiking until about 4pm (at least 10 -15 mi/day) before making camp. ideally, for me, if i could leave my car at harpers ferry sat morning and get a ride to rt 7 it would be worthwile, unfortunately right now, i dont have a way to get from HF to bears den...sorry! if i resolve that issue ill be happy to meet the group at BD at 8 and hike with the group till ya'll jump off at blackburn.

Images

Look guys, the weather is sketchy. It's gonna be cold overnight and rainy on Sunday. Another hike is to go from rte. 9 (or blackburn) to harpers and overnight at the Hilltop house.

Here are two ideas. We can meet at Bears Den and do a car shuttle on Saturday. Those that want to do a day hike can and those that want to go slower and backpack can do that. Another option is to start later on Saturday and stick to original plan otherwise. That way we will arive at blackburn later in the day. Sunset is at 4:48 so we don't want to get there too late in the day. It is going to be cold at night no getting around that but it is winter.

Images

A day hike is fine with me. I'll be at Bears Den at 0800 and will be prepared to shuttle north to Blackburn. I'm concerned as to the weather (sleet predicted) and cold. I'm not a wimp, I just don't have the sleeping bag for those temps right now.

I am fired up to do something, hike or backpack. I will go with the flow whatever everybody else is game for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++