WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I'm a newbie and need some help

I'm a college student year around and don't have much time to do a lot of hiking but got a chance over my christmas break. How does the idea of a 3 day 12/26 or 27 to 12/29 or 30 starting at Blood Mountain in Georgia sound at this time of year? Don't know much, but just need help?
    Thanks
    TG
    Last edited by trey3288; 11-12-2007 at 14:49.

Images

where will you be hiking? Depends on the location. Weather that time of yr can vary greatly. Could be 50 degrees and sunny, or a full on snow storm.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Since you are in Mobile I would reccomend going to the Alabama Pinhoti. I've hiked it in January and it was doable.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I also belive the Blood Mountian Wilderness is a permanent no-fire zone. That might have an impact on going there in the winter. Because of the drought, there may be fire bans in a lot of places. Check before you go.

Try oak mountain, no fires, but stoves are still allowed and it's only like $4 a day to use the trail and the money goes right back to the trail.
    2,000 miles may be far, but how can you measure your abilities if you never push them?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    I also belive the Blood Mountian Wilderness is a permanent no-fire zone. That might have an impact on going there in the winter. Because of the drought, there may be fire bans in a lot of places. Check before you go.
    You are right jessebrent,From Slaughter Creek trail to Neels Gap has a fire ban all the time.As I understand it Ga & NC has a fire ban everywhere at this time until further notice.As A-Train said it is unpredictable,I hiked last Sunday from Woody Gap to Neels gap and it was a picture perfect day but the only water I found was just north of Jarrard Gap where you bear back to the right and cross the small bridge.In December you may find 2 feet deep snows over Blood.

Default Alternative to Blood Mountain

Being a newbie to the AT, I can't offer very much by way of personal experiences backpacking in this area. But being from Daphne, Al - I have day-hiked for many years in Alabama and it has a lot to offer for short hikes as you described.

Oak Mountain is pretty but I found it somewhat limited.

You might try Little River Canyon or DeSote State Park. Both are in Northeast AL and offer really nice country. Although the weather condition aren't much different than North Georgia, they are certainly less challenging and less isolated.

You could also try the Bankhead or Talladega NFs. Friends have recommended them both but I never got there myself.

Happy Hiking
    Sambeaux
    Unicoi to Standing Indian
    Nov 18 to Nov 24

Quote Originally Posted by norman55 View Post
    Being a newbie to the AT, I can't offer very much by way of personal experiences backpacking in this area. But being from Daphne, Al - I have day-hiked for many years in Alabama and it has a lot to offer for short hikes as you described.

Oak Mountain is pretty but I found it somewhat limited.

You might try Little River Canyon or DeSote State Park. Both are in Northeast AL and offer really nice country. Although the weather condition aren't much different than North Georgia, they are certainly less challenging and less isolated.

You could also try the Bankhead or Talladega NFs. Friends have recommended them both but I never got there myself.

Happy Hiking
    Sambeaux
    Unicoi to Standing Indian
    Nov 18 to Nov 24
    Hey Norman, seems like Lower Alabama week. First a guy from Mobile posts and now you from Daphne. I'm just down the bay in Fairhope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead16 View Post
    Try oak mountain, no fires, but stoves are still allowed and it's only like $4 a day to use the trail and the money goes right back to the trail.
    Oak Mtn State Park is $2pp weekdays, $3pp weekends. Their longest trail is only just over 6 miles. 2 of their 3 "backcountry" campsites are heavily affected by a nearby train crossing (horns all night long.)
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

++ New Posts ++